you think TV water is drinkable

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage

You're entitled of course to your opinion, I respectively state that is incorrect, about the sizing.

KDF

Why we don’t use KDF is 55% zinc 45% copper

It adds copper to the water

It must be backwashed within the softener, if it not back washed with enough force it will not fluidize
If so it turns into a sold block and no longer works.

Must be backwashed at 10-12 gallons a minute using a fair amount of wasted water, most softeners don’t have that flow capacity. So it takes about 90 gallon to backwash effectively

The kdf containers are fragile, they can come apart with the softener.

one family has a website with their issues My Story: Heavy metal test proved that heavy metals contributed to oxidative damage - ToxicWaterSolution.com

It is expensive to replace every 5 years, no way to tell if depleted.
One local place quoted $1095 to replace it.

Not saying it’s a bad product we don’t think it’s as effective or safe as carbon.

Copper is absorbed through your skin. Copper in the shower or bath steam can be absorbed through your lungs.

Last edited by jimbo2012; 01-08-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
It takes a 14" footprint so uses less space.
14 inch footprint? I cannot see that in my head... are you talking the size of my MacBook Pro, or a 14 inch square?
Old 01-08-2017, 02:59 PM
Sage

Sorry for not being clear, a 14" square of floor space
Old 01-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Sage

I prefer facts and data over biased opinions. That is how I was trained in undergraduate and graduate school. Most of what you say is unsubstantiated opinions. Perhaps you don't realize that a good portion of the country has copper pipes? As previously stated, backflushing is typically only a few gallons more for a hybrid water softener than a regular water softener. For example, the WaterBoss 950 needs 19 gallons of water for backflushing/regeneration, not the 90 gallons you stated. Pulling numbers out of nowhere and trying to generalize them is disingenuous. People should do their own research.

KDF filter media - Lenntech

Have a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
You're entitled of course to your opinion, I respectively state that is incorrect, about the sizing.

KDF

Why we don’t use KDF is 55% zinc 45% copper

It adds copper to the water

It must be backwashed within the softener, if it not back washed with enough force it will not fluidize
If so it turns into a sold block and no longer works.

Must be backwashed at 10-12 gallons a minute using a fair amount of wasted water, most softeners don’t have that flow capacity. So it takes about 90 gallon to backwash effectively

The kdf containers are fragile, they can come apart with the softener.

one family has a website with their issues My Story: Heavy metal test proved that heavy metals contributed to oxidative damage - ToxicWaterSolution.com

It is expensive to replace every 5 years, no way to tell if depleted.
One local place quoted $1095 to replace it.

Not saying it’s a bad product we don’t think it’s as effective or safe as carbon.

Copper is absorbed through your skin. Copper in the shower or bath steam can be absorbed through your lungs.

Last edited by biker1; 01-08-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:13 PM

Getting back to the original purpose of this thread, for what its worth, I found the taste of the water here (both in Summerhill where we rented before buying and in Winifred after) pretty bad compared to what I was used to. That's probably because where we lived in NY we had a well with really hard water and a bad iron issue and so, long ago installed both a softener (with a sediment filter ahead of same) and a high capacity RO system at the kitchen sink. The first thing I did here was to go get a Brita pitcher, and while that improved the taste, it wasn't a good long term solution. We used the pitcher at our rental, but when we moved into our home in Winifred I invested in the Nova system and found that the taste of the water was just as good as it was with the Brita with the added benefit of having it come out of every faucet. We originally did not add a softener, but did so later in an attempt to help with frequent skin rashes that we thought might have been being caused (or at least exacerbated by) the harder water here in TV versus what were used to with our softener system in NY. It did seem to help somewhat in that regard, but wasn't a cure, per se. In any event I do prefer the feel of soft water and appreciate the relative lack of hard water spots. The only thing we've not duplicated here yet is the RO system (which Nova also offers). The water tastes good enough now that we don't think we need it here.
--
Bob C
Old 01-09-2017, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

The house we purchased in TV had a two filter system for the whole house. The first filter takes out sediment, the second filter is carbon and takes out smell and bad tastes. In addition, our refrigerator filters water. Our water tastes great. This system costs me about $10 per month in replacement filters. The sediment filter after one month is disgusting. I would hate to be drinking that stuff.

Our northern home has a Morton whole-house filtration system. This system has an estimated filter life of 10 years, because the system recharges like a water softener. Depending upon how much sediment is in the water, this can be set to recharge every few days to two weeks. It works great and requires less of my time than our system here in TV. However, it requires a drain for recharging, so would not be an option for our house here. Your situation may be different.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 AM
Default Water Filter

Our plumber put in the Whirlpool filter - might have cost about $400 all in - and the water is great. No problem at all. Before the filter I felt that taking a shower was too caustic.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Dove Plumbing has a filter they install quickly and easily in your garage on the wall. The installation, materials and labor were approximately $350 a year ago. The most worthwhile $350 we have spent!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

We have been here a total of 11 years and we have always drank the tap water. We do not see a problem with The Villages water at all.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage

Hi, I think if your read the water test reports from the county and one from an independent lab you may see why a Whole house filter is worth considering
Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
We've been here 16 1/2 years. We always drink the tap water.
Agree
Old 01-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Buy a $20 Brita Water Filter from Walmart if you are concerned about the taste of the water. Since I don't drink from the shower, toilets or bathroom faucets, I don't need every drop of water in my house being filtered.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Buy a $20 Brita Water Filter from Walmart if you are concerned about the taste of the water. Since I don't drink from the shower, toilets or bathroom faucets, I don't need every drop of water in my house being filtered.
I'm no salesman for filtering water. My wife really wanted it. But since we had the filter installed, there is no denying a dramatic reduction in nasty, yucky (technical term) buildup of crusty, dirty deposits everywhere the water touches...toilet bowls, faucet nozzles, sports water bottles, etc.

It definitely impacts more than just the taste of the water.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'm no salesman for filtering water. My wife really wanted it. But since we had the filter installed, there is no denying a dramatic reduction in nasty, yucky (technical term) buildup of crusty, dirty deposits everywhere the water touches...toilet bowls, faucet nozzles, sports water bottles, etc.

It definitely impacts more than just the taste of the water.
Fortunately, we've never experienced any of those problems. Maybe it's limited to certain areas. We're in the Village of Lake Deaton.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Fortunately, we've never experienced any of those problems. Maybe it's limited to certain areas. We're in the Village of Lake Deaton.
Well lake Deaton is the same as all the water in lake Sumter, it's loaded with nasty stuff, stop over my home for drink to taste the difference, we are around the corner

Tags
aftertaste, leaves, lingers, water, drinkable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.