Goodbye Spanish Springs

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2020, 06:57 PM
Default Goodbye Spanish Springs

Three restaurants on the Spanish Springs square have gone out of business. Plans are to transform these facilities and other future closures into apartments. In the near future I totally expect the entire Spanish Springs to be nothing more than apartments and shops. Also I find it strange that the district approved the Developer getting amenities for these apartments.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Not.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,686 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Three restaurants on the Spanish Springs square have gone out of business. Plans are to transform these facilities and other future closures into apartments. In the near future I totally expect the entire Spanish Springs to be nothing more than apartments and shops. Also I find it strange that the district approved the Developer getting amenities for these apartments.
I find your post interesting, and I can see it happening that way to a point. Is it possible that as the transformation towards apartments happens that a market will appear for more shops and restaurants?
I have no idea how many units of apartments might be created, but at some point those folks would love to have a nice square, with some food and music right in the neighborhood. Such a demand could turn into a pleasant equilibrium between local foot traffic and services. This could be a better working model going forward than what has been going on there lately. I'm not trying to be contentious, just suggesting that this could work out well for everyone.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Demshar's did not go out of business, they closed temporarily. TooJays filed for bankruptcy months ago and I suspect this is part of expense reduction since the other two are still open. Katie Belle's is the only one that actually closed with no plans to reopen .

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-11-2020, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I believe that once this pandemic is behind us everything will come back stronger than ever. Might take another year and some places will disappear but others will take their place. In the end, a "shakeout" may be a good thing.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

"Also I find it strange that the district approved the Developer getting amenities for these apartments."

Always follow the money, it's no surprise at all. Time are a-changin'
Old 09-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I believe that once this pandemic is behind us everything will come back stronger than ever. Might take another year and some places will disappear but others will take their place. In the end, a "shakeout" may be a good thing.
think your right
Old 09-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Demshar's did not go out of business, they closed temporarily. TooJays filed for bankruptcy months ago and I suspect this is part of expense reduction since the other two are still open. Katie Belle's is the only one that actually closed with no plans to reopen .
Demshar's closed permanently. They have signs outside their restaurant stating so, posted by them.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Gold member

As The Villages empties out the office space they use in SS, they will transform, that space to apartments. Most of the second floor occupancy is now used by The Villages and they are consolidating operations down in the new headquarters they built in Brownwood. I would guess the first floor space will remain as commercial property
Old 09-11-2020, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
As The Villages empties out the office space they use in SS, they will transform, that space to apartments. Most of the second floor occupancy is now used by The Villages and they are consolidating operations down in the new headquarters they built in Brownwood. I would guess the first floor space will remain as commercial property
If they continue to have it part of the 55+ community, and not open it to under 55+, and manage it as the landlord as such with no sublets allowed - then it could be a very good thing.

Imagine some of the homeowners who want to downsize, who are still 100% independent, but want less responsibility that goes into homeownership. Living in the apartments. They no longer need to drive to the squares since they already live there. Since it's only 2 blocks away from the supermarket, they could probably get rid of their cars entirely, rely only on golf carts to get to doctors' offices or whatever else.

If they just need a quart of milk - it's no big deal for them to just walk the two blocks. Or they could even just go downstairs and order a cup of coffee from Dunkin Donuts, no need to buy a quart til shopping day.

But - I lived for 7 years in Boston, so I understand the joys of "city life" as an actual resident, not just a visitor.

If I was single I'd probably jump at the chance to live "downtown" in the Villages square in a little 1-bedroom apartment.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If they continue to have it part of the 55+ community, and not open it to under 55+, and manage it as the landlord as such with no sublets allowed - then it could be a very good thing.

Imagine some of the homeowners who want to downsize, who are still 100% independent, but want less responsibility that goes into homeownership. Living in the apartments. They no longer need to drive to the squares since they already live there. Since it's only 2 blocks away from the supermarket, they could probably get rid of their cars entirely, rely only on golf carts to get to doctors' offices or whatever else.

If they just need a quart of milk - it's no big deal for them to just walk the two blocks. Or they could even just go downstairs and order a cup of coffee from Dunkin Donuts, no need to buy a quart til shopping day.

But - I lived for 7 years in Boston, so I understand the joys of "city life" as an actual resident, not just a visitor.

If I was single I'd probably jump at the chance to live "downtown" in the Villages square in a little 1-bedroom apartment.
I agree with you. I've heard (I know that's dangerous) that the Brownwood apartments cannot be sublet. So... maybe that's a precedent.

Last edited by Northwoods; 09-12-2020 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling!!!!!
Old 09-11-2020, 10:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Small neighborhoods that have all the necessary amenities and entertainment, within walking distance, have become popular in many cities. I'm sure the developers are aware of this and it wouldn't surprise me to learn, that this is a first test to see if that type of development would work and make money for TV.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Agreed. The apartment dwellers will want to dine out. Restaurants will open to meet demand.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I can see nothing wrong in using vacant space as appartments around SS. Square.
Unlike the HH proposed development, no one is going to lose a view, and apart from the fact people will know there are apartments around the square, little or no intrusion or change to the area should be noticed
Could be a good move to revitalise the whole place.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Demshar's closed permanently. They have signs outside their restaurant stating so, posted by them.
I talked the owner on Friday. A decision to permanently close has not been made. No where on the sign does is state this.

Rollie
Closed Thread

Tags
springs, apartments, spanish, future, goodbye

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.