Radio control boats....?

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Veteran member
Default Radio control boats....?

Hello all. The other day I was driving through The Villages by the bridge over Hwy 27 and saw a small speedboat whizzing around the pond over there. It was so cool!

I have a nice year round pond in my back yard, and instantly thought it would be fun to do this. My grandaughter when she visits would also get a thrill doing this here.

So my question is......can anyone tell me a bit more about this hobby? What features to look for in an Radio controlled boat? How much do I need to spend to get a nice boat I won't be disappointed in?

I've seen these from like $30 to hundreds.....I do not want to spend too much, but I also do not want to spend too little.

Here is the pond in my backyard. I posted this picture so you could see the size...it is not too big, but just right for using an RC boat.

The Villages Florida The Villages Florida

Any advice or help would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Frank
Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Sage

there's a good hobby store in Wildwood to check things out, also you can get a sailboat.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts

just keep an eye out for alligators, snakes, seaweed, algae in the smaller ponds.

btk
Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
Hello all. The other day I was driving through The Villages by the bridge over Hwy 27 and saw a small speedboat whizzing around the pond over there. It was so cool!

I have a nice year round pond in my back yard, and instantly thought it would be fun to do this. My grandaughter when she visits would also get a thrill doing this here.

So my question is......can anyone tell me a bit more about this hobby? What features to look for in an Radio controlled boat? How much do I need to spend to get a nice boat I won't be disappointed in?

I've seen these from like $30 to hundreds.....I do not want to spend too much, but I also do not want to spend too little.

Here is the pond in my backyard. I posted this picture so you could see the size...it is not too big, but just right for using an RC boat.

Frank
Frank, when you get a chance, go back over to the lake and talk to the people who play with the RC boats.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Platinum member

There are clubs in TV that enjoy RC boats. Look in your Daily Sun Recreation section to find out who to contact or when their next meeting is.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

All good ideas.....I appreciate it.

I will check out the Hobby stores. I also keep a close watch on "our" pond, our gators, etc....and it is always wise to be careful, as they were here first. I would not have access to a Village club of course, as I am mainly is The Villages often for business, but do not live there.

I was just thinking that perhaps someone knowledgable about this hobby might just read TOTV.

Thanks again for all the kind help!! I also found a RC sailing club in a community just next to us, and am waiting to hear from them also.....

Frank
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Default Nice RC Boat on e-bay

There is a nice boat on e-bay that I have been looking at in hopes of being on the water when we move to TV. Go in to e-bay and put in a search for...

36" 1/16 Scale Speed X-Cyclone Radio Remote Controlled RC Racing Boat BXC Yellow

It should give you what you want for starting out. Price not too bad $67.95.

Good luck. I'm sure you will have fun.

Quote:
All good ideas.....I appreciate it.

I will check out the Hobby stores. I also keep a close watch on "our" pond, our gators, etc....and it is always wise to be careful, as they were here first. I would not have access to a Village club of course, as I am mainly is The Villages often for business, but do not live there.

I was just thinking that perhaps someone knowledgable about this hobby might just read TOTV.

Thanks again for all the kind help!! I also found a RC sailing club in a community just next to us, and am waiting to hear from them also.....

Frank
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Gold member

Frank,

I bet that Noell's Hobbies in Wildwood has some boats in stock. I've seen some used ones there too. Also, there's a car/boat hobby shop at the Marion flea market. He's off to the left as you go in ( or on the right going out), and has a dirt track for the car customers.

Can't offer much advice, since I'm an airplane guy, but I have been looking at boats on the internet lately. One observation is that the ones that go fast are expensive and tricky to run. I would spend some time talking to the guys at the pond. I have heard that the speedboats are on the smaller lake so they don't collide with the slower ones over on the bigger lake. The power boat and sail boat folks run on alternate days.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Frank,
One observation is that the ones that go fast are expensive and tricky to run. .
You think sailboats R cheap

They R more of a challenge to sail, there is good Soling group behind the church at Spanish Springs that sails twice a week.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM

My neighbors are involved in that club, and meet on the pond near Spanish Springsby the Golf Cart bridge on Tuesday and Thursday mornings...they also had a booth at the outdoor expo.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
You think sailboats R cheap

They R more of a challenge to sail, there is good Soling group behind the church at Spanish Springs that sails twice a week.
I believe the OP was asking about the power boats, specifically speedboats. Sailboats certainly have their own challenges and rewards. I was comparing sport/scale power boats to performance/racing boats. The electric speed boats use relatively high cost batteries and brushless motors, have to be trimmed properly for good performance and are easy to flip if not operated smoothly. So, while the speedboats generate a lot of spectator attention, they are not the best entry point into the hobby.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Thank you all. Great info! I will make sure to speak to some experienced hobbyists before doing much more......thanks!!

Frank
Old 08-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Default Radio Controlled boats

Quote:

Frank
SOLD - If you are interested, I have a R/C Sailboat for sale ($175.00). Just type in the word "sailboat" in "Search" and you'll see the description. Nancybea

Last edited by nancybea; 08-19-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old 08-11-2013, 04:05 PM

My husband flies RC planes- do you know if there is an RC flying club? He is ready to haul down all the planes from IL.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Platinum member

I am pretty sure there is an e-flyer club (electric r/c planes) but don't know much about it. Maybe somebody who does will elaborate on this forum.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.