Younger Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 PM
Veteran member
Default Younger Villagers

I am probably going to stir up a hornet's nest here but I am wondering how my fellow Villagers feel about the rash of crimes being committed by younger Villages residents. It seems that the police blotter now reports crimes on a regular basis where the perpetrators are residents, in their 20s. Somehow I don't see The Villages as a place where I should have to worry about unsavory young people being "among us" and possibly living next door. Before I get too many negative comments I will state that I see listed a number of older Villagers involved in criminal acts, also. No place is perfect. I get that. BUT, does anyone else feel that allowing anyone over "19" to live here is in our best interests? I understand that there may be some kids in their 20s who enjoy living with a bunch of seniors. Most kids I know would want no part of that on a regular basis. This is an "over 55" community and I know that younger folks can buy and live here. I have no problem with anyone over 45 buying a home and living here. The Morses made the rules that allow these kids to live here but I sure would like to see it changed to exclude them, except in the case of a disabled child who needs parental care. I liked living in my little "oasis", insulated from the fear and crime that is rampant in so many areas around us. Reading the police blotter these days has shaken my feelings of peace and security. Somehow, it all didn't matter quite so much when the criminals lived in Wildwood or Leesburg.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillagesFlorida View Post
I am probably going to stir up a hornet's nest here but I am wondering how my fellow Villagers feel about the rash of crimes being committed by younger Villages residents. It seems that the police blotter now reports crimes on a regular basis where the perpetrators are residents, in their 20s. Somehow I don't see The Villages as a place where I should have to worry about unsavory young people being "among us" and possibly living next door. Before I get too many negative comments I will state that I see listed a number of older Villagers involved in criminal acts, also. No place is perfect. I get that. BUT, does anyone else feel that allowing anyone over "19" to live here is in our best interests? I understand that there may be some kids in their 20s who enjoy living with a bunch of seniors. Most kids I know would want no part of that on a regular basis. This is an "over 55" community and I know that younger folks can buy and live here. I have no problem with anyone over 45 buying a home and living here. The Morses made the rules that allow these kids to live here but I sure would like to see it changed to exclude them, except in the case of a disabled child who needs parental care. I liked living in my little "oasis", insulated from the fear and crime that is rampant in so many areas around us. Reading the police blotter these days has shaken my feelings of peace and security. Somehow, it all didn't matter quite so much when the criminals lived in Wildwood or Leesburg.

Just stop Reading the police blotter.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM

I agree - disabled adult children are one thing. But the majority of the adult children living here in their 20's-30's are problem children that the parents had to bring with them. We don't need them here. If they are going to have these "problem children" living with them, they should have to move to the "family" neighborhoods nearby.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Gold member

oomy could you pass the kool-aide
Old 10-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Gold member

And what would you suggest? Should parents turn their back on their kids? No family is immune from some rough patches.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Your concerns are valid, in my opinion, Villages Florida. Why would any kids WANT to live with older people???

And...ooomy? Boy Howdy.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

Personally I like seeing some young people around, in addition to all the old farts. And they're not all a bunch of criminals.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran member

not reading the police blotter doesn't deal with this issue-what kind of a response is that?I could tell you but I'll stop here
Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherer47 View Post
not reading the police blotter doesn't deal with this issue-what kind of a response is that?I could tell you but I'll stop here
Thats probably the only way to deal with it. How are you gonna keep anybody out. I suppose a background check could be required for those under a certain age. How do you feel about the convicted sex offenders living in TV? Or, recovering drug users? You see, it could go on and on.........
Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The first item I notice when I read about the arrests are the bonds set by the judges are practically nothing. You only have to come up with 10% to bail out and you know the parents are the ones putting up the money. Set their bail at $50,000 and then we'll see if they want to spend $5,000. If these people were to spend 60 or 90 days in jail then maybe they'll figure out when they get released it's time to get out of here.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

I agree with everything you're saying Bogie Shooter.I'd rather know about the problem though by reading about it than not being informed.I used to eat breakfast with a guy every week that was arrested for theft.And he was 67! So crime knows no age limit.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherer47 View Post
...I used to eat breakfast with a guy every week that was arrested for theft.And he was 67! So crime knows no age limit.
That's true but 95% of all crime is commited by people under the age of 50, that's a fact.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Your concerns are valid, in my opinion, Villages Florida. Why would any kids WANT to live with older people???

And...ooomy? Boy Howdy.
probably want to live here because they can't hold down a job, and cannot stay in school to get a job. so it's free to live with their parents.

My son graduated from Duke Law school and he lived with us all summer until he passed the bar and started his job in Palo Alto, CA. We love him dearly, but we were very happy to drop him off at the airport!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Veteran member

While I am a full time TV resident in my late 40s, I too am concerned about thse crime reports. We hope that we have found our final home, and we hope to feel safe in our new community.

That being said, I also question how "complete" these police blotter reports are, and whether the local paper provides ALL of the reported crime in TV. My wife is a nurse in the ER in the Villages Hospital and she has seen a number of assaults, DUIs etc, which were never reported in the police blotters. She is shocked by the number of drunks who get admitted to the ER, most of whom have been brought in by the police for being publicly intoxicated and causing a public nuisence--and by the way, these aren't younger folks, these are older TV residents.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 10-17-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

And...ooomy? Boy Howdy.
Pretty much so the little darlings can sponge off of them,because they were never taught to take care of themselves,not in all cases but in many.............
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.