You're supposed to ring your bell.....

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2022, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
I have lived in an area where biking is extremely popular, and "on your left" was what most said. I also feel vocalizing can be more personal and friendly than a bell ring, but I understand your concern.
I never heard the expression until walking on a trail a decade ago. Bells I understand immediately.

I like it when the cyclist rings the bell first, then says On your left.
Old 05-30-2022, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,684 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I rang my bell (or yelled "On your left"), as I approached you on my bike from behind.

Is your hearing adequate? Did you forget to wear your hearing aid? Were you talking on your phone? Were you wearing headphones?

Give me a freakin break, and don''t yell at me. Be responsible and assure that your hearing is adequate. If not, stay off the path!
Deaf people have the right to walk on the paths. Some people are, you know. You could have a siren on your bike and it wouldn't matter if you were approaching a deaf person from the rear.

If you are approaching a pedestrian from the rear it is YOUR responsibility to act in a way that assures the safety of all.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am confused, I always walk on the LEFT facing traffic, so I can see what is going on. Why would golf cart paths be any different?
If you are sharing the path with motorized vehicles walking on the left is the safer option. But on pedestrian/ bicycle paths walking on the right is the correct protocol.
Old 05-30-2022, 05:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,131 Times in 2,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasdon View Post
I’m new to golf carts. Friday, I came upon a walker (living, not dead) coming towards me in my lane, and golf carts also passing on my left, so no where to go, so I just stopped until the walker passed me. Golf cart behind me honks. What should I have done?
Based on my observations, proper etiquette would have been to flip off the golf cart behind you and shout, “the horn blows, how about the driver”!
Old 05-30-2022, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

First of all there are no "RULES" just excellent suggestions and courtesies. If there ware OFFICIAL RULES they would be posted and handed out.

Also, the MMP's are not BIKE TRAILS they are MULTI-MODAL paths for all "MODES" of use and EVERYONE has the same responsibility. Walkers wear often headphones and even talk on the phone and shaking your bikes ding-a-ling is useless. Just yelling "ON YOUR LEFT" could mean dozens of things to one who has no idea WHAT IS "on your left" assuming they can even hear it (how many hearing aid ads are in the Daily Happy News every day). MANY people NEED THEM but can't afford them so since this is an "old person community" that must be taken under consideration.

Everyone should be safe on do the right thing but there are no rules anywhere that everyone could see. If a biker hits a pedestrian, likely the biker would be considered at fault because you are the faster moving vehicle.

These (MMP's) are NOT BIKE TRAILS and they are not GOLF CART PATHS. They are multi-use paths (referring to MMP's not the diamond lanes).

Read "Share the path" on districtgov.org.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
You are supposed to walk on the left on the road, and on the right on the multimodal.

On the road it is because the cars come up so fast, you wont have time to hear them before they hit you. If you walk facing them, you can see them coming.

At least that is what I was told when I moved here.
WRONG WRONG WRONG! Wrong every day and twice on Sunday. Come on here ! Can a golf cart not kill you or maim you ? Answer is yes! Walk facing traffic on multi- modal
Old 05-30-2022, 07:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldragbagger View Post
If you are sharing the path with motorized vehicles walking on the left is the safer option. But on pedestrian/ bicycle paths walking on the right is the correct protocol.
Yo, that’s not a cart path
Old 05-30-2022, 07:14 PM
Platinum member

The misinformation network is blasting with both barrels on this topic
Old 05-30-2022, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,525 Posts

WOW! Lots of opinions. Yes, I have one too. Problem is that it is all opinion based on what one believes is safest, based on their version of "common sense". To the best of my very limited knowledge on this subject, there is no hard, fast rule of law. Basically, No rules other than "watch out for the rolling assassins" and protect yourselves.
Be afraid! VERY AFRAID! It's a jungle out there!
😖😱😧
Old 05-31-2022, 04:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
WOW! Lots of opinions. Yes, I have one too. Problem is that it is all opinion based on what one believes is safest, based on their version of "common sense". To the best of my very limited knowledge on this subject, there is no hard, fast rule of law. Basically, No rules other than "watch out for the rolling assassins" and protect yourselves.
Be afraid! VERY AFRAID! It's a jungle out there!
😖😱😧
It’s not just common sense . What you don’t want is pedestrians walking in the same direction on opposite sides of the rec trails. When you have golf carts coming in both directions and they all meet( say in a curve) it can get ugly. EVERYONE should walk on their left side of the trail facing traffic with no exception ( except if there is a gator larger than five feet long on that side).
Old 05-31-2022, 05:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,689 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
You are supposed to walk on the left on the road, and on the right on the multimodal.

On the road it is because the cars come up so fast, you wont have time to hear them before they hit you. If you walk facing them, you can see them coming.

At least that is what I was told when I moved here.
I would put that piece of advice you got when you moved here in the trash bin with a lot of other pieces of advice we all get from time to time.

I walk facing traffic. This allows me to make eye contact with the golf cart driver or bike rider, and let them know I see them, and make a determination if they see me. Are they giving me room? Do I need to step off the path so I don't get hit?

I don't ride a bike anymore, but I do drive golf carts, and I much prefer to see pedestrians facing me, for the same reasons.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Yes, I rang my bell (or yelled "On your left"), as I approached you on my bike from behind.

Is your hearing adequate? Did you forget to wear your hearing aid? Were you talking on your phone? Were you wearing headphones?

Give me a freakin break, and don''t yell at me. Be responsible and assure that your hearing is adequate. If not, stay off the path!
I understand your frustration, but a more effective option than ranting on here would have been to have this conversation in a less confrontational tone, with the person who yelled at you.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:21 AM

I guess we need to remember that south of 44 there are pedestrian paths that don’t allow golf carts - so some people may say to walk on the right - ok, no cart traffic to deal with. However, north of 44, we have “cart paths” which allow golf carts, walkers, bikers etc. and indeed you should walk FACING the traffic - on the left. As far as the first poster with reference to people hard of hearing not using the paths - I’m not hard of hearing yet, thank goodness - but I’m now speechless.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGirl122 View Post
I guess we need to remember that south of 44 there are pedestrian paths that don’t allow golf carts - so some people may say to walk on the right - ok, no cart traffic to deal with. However, north of 44, we have “cart paths” which allow golf carts, walkers, bikers etc. and indeed you should walk FACING the traffic - on the left. As far as the first poster with reference to people hard of hearing not using the paths - I’m not hard of hearing yet, thank goodness - but I’m now speechless.
Good point. I live north of 466A, and while I have walked the Hogseye path, I wasn't thinking in terms of "pedestrian" trails which allow bicycles, and, I guess, e-bikes. My preference, if the paths allow bicycles and e-bikes, would be to walk on the left, again, so I can see what's coming. But I can understand the confusion.
I am also not averse to stepping off and out of the way for a second to let everyone and anyone by me, should things get congested.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:01 AM

Didn't we hope that our aging parents gave up driving when their senses did not allow them to safely be on the road, i.e. creating danger to self/others? We hoped that they would make this decision on their own.

Maybe the person walking on a path with faster moving vehicles, who can not hear (for whatever reason), poses a similar danger?????

If I had a hearing impairment that did not allow me to hear a warning from a bicycle out of my vision range, I would not put myself in that dangerous situation. Would you?? Only common sense....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfGirl122 View Post
Closed Thread

Tags
hearing, adequate, bell, freakin, yell

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.