1 or 2 cars

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Default 1 or 2 cars

Moving to villages. My wife and I want to know if 2 cars are best for getting around at least in the beginning or whether 1 car and 1 golf cart will work.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Platinum member

I don't live in TV YET, but we will be moving within the year. I would say your dependency on 2 cars will depend on your life-style. My wife and I go almost everywhere together. We currently have two cars, but will be selling her SUV before we move and hopefully, we will get enough to buy a golf cart. That's the plan anyway. If you both travel in different circles and are going to require AC, then you will probably need two cars. Just my opinion.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran member

I'd keep both cars, plus have a golf cart, for at least a while, until you figure out what activities you both get into; as sometimes the distance to various activities may be farther than you'll want to go by golf cart; plus, you'll have alot of errands connected with the move and getting settled. After a while, you'll figure out whether you need both cars still, or only one; we eventually, after the first year, downsized to only one car (plus a golf cart - and some couples have two golf carts), and have never regretted it.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I don't live in TV YET, but we will be moving within the year. I would say your dependency on 2 cars will depend on your life-style. My wife and I go almost everywhere together. We currently have two cars, but will be selling her SUV before we move and hopefully, we will get enough to buy a golf cart. That's the plan anyway. If you both travel in different circles and are going to require AC, then you will probably need two cars. Just my opinion.
Good answer. Depends, just as you said. If one has to leave the area for anything, the other would be left with only a golf cart to go places. In the summer, there could be rain, not much of a problem, but lightning is and being in a car is safer than being in a golf cart.

We arrived with two cars, gave one to our son, bought a golf cart and then bought another car.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Gold member

Sold one car before we moved here with the intention of having one car and one golf cart. That worked for about two months until we found that we preferred getting around in the golf cart but having one was not working with both of our schedules. Even though we do prefer electric we eventually ended up with one gas cart and one electric cart. The gas cart helps considering distances you may have to travel in TV.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Eternal Member

We had a car and a pickup when we moved here. Sold the pickup and bought an electric golf cart. We seldom use the car. It takes me about a year to go the 3000 miles for the oil change.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Platinum member

Sold one car before we moved in. Never regretted it. All we needed was one car and one golf cart.
Tampa, FL
Old 06-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Gold member

We have one car and two golf carts. It's so much easier in a golf cart and in winter much easier to find a parking place in the squares !
Old 06-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Sage

We have never had an issue owning just one car in TV. We use the golf cart for most everything, so it is very unusual that we would both need the car at the same time and were not going to the same place.

Much to my surprise we did find that having two golf carts worked out better for us, so we are a 1 car, two cart family....
Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 AM

Nice seeing you at the Lake last night. And like I said you have to figure in the cost to register the car in Florida. Sell one and buy a Golf Cart.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Sage

Have 2 cars, golf cart and motorcycle. Our two car garage is giving us problems not having enough room. Right now the garage has a car, cart and motorcycle in it. The other car sets outside blocking in the car in the garage, necessary in order to get the cart or motorcycle out without moving everything around. Trying to talk my wife into letting go of one car. We're going to give it a few months to see if we really need 2 cars.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

I also think how close you live to the places you go and shop makes a big difference. We live very close to SS and it is much quicker for me to take the golf cart than it is to take the car. Plus, I don't have to navigate the roundabout in the cart-just go the back way through the cut in the fence.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

We traded in 2 smaller cars for a larger Buick suv for when we go somewhere. 2 gas Yamaha carts (his n hers) take us around here.
When we were both working 2 cars were needed, but not now.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Gold member

We find that we tend to use golf carts less than what we expected (it's either too hot, too cold, too rainy, too far). We kept the two cars and there have been times when both were in use at the same time. However, this is more of a luxury than a necessity - we probably could have coordinated our schedules and got by with one cart and one car.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I also think how close you live to the places you go and shop makes a big difference. We live very close to SS and it is much quicker for me to take the golf cart than it is to take the car. Plus, I don't have to navigate the roundabout in the cart-just go the back way through the cut in the fence.
What's "the cut in the fence"? I'm trying to learn everything I can about navigating my golf cart around here and have never heard of it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.