2 night visit in Jan. visiting friends renting 1st time.

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Gold member
Default 2 night visit in Jan. visiting friends renting 1st time.

What should we see and do during our 2 night visit with our friends that are renting for the month of January?

They visited other friends last year and had a great time so decided to come for a month this year.

Dining suggestions?

We just finished reading Leisureville which I'm sure parts were exaggerated in order to sell more books. It was an interesting read.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,325 Posts

Two days? Play golf, sit by a pool, have dinner at what ever resturant you fancy and sit in the square. Not much time, but enjoy
Old 11-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Watch sunset on the bridge!
Old 11-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Sage

Visit at least one square (or both if you have time) from 5:00 to 9:00 to hear free live music and watch the dancing. If you have time, take the 45 minute trolley tour from the sales office at Lake Sumter Landing. Drive a golf cart if you have the chance.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Visit at least one square (or both if you have time) from 5:00 to 9:00 to hear free live music and watch the dancing. If you have time, take the 45 minute trolley tour from the sales office at Lake Sumter Landing. Drive a golf cart if you have the chance.
Those sound like good ideas. Where does the trolley take you and is there a fee?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

The trolley ride is about 45' and is free. It takes off from the sales center in Sumter Landing all during the day about every half hour or hour. Very informative. A MUST! Visit at least Laurel Manor, Sea Breeze and the Savannah Center. Go to a show at the Savannah Center, to both squares, visit the garden at the entrance to Glenview C.C. and do enjoy the sunset at Sunset Park on the Morse Blvd. bridge near Sumter Landing.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold member

Great ideas especially the trolley tour. Thanks all for your input.
We'll bring our clubs as our friends are avid golfers.
We are "hackers" and have no problem picking up our ball to keep the speed up on the course.
When I worked I was required to play golf and the company paid for a weekend lesson at United Golf Academy in Plymouth, IN. I came out no better.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
We are "hackers" and have no problem picking up our ball to keep the speed up on the course.
I'd take up golf again if I could find people like you to play with!
In reality, they're different!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Thats it??

Except for the Trolley ride suggestion which we will do along with the boat ride at Lake Sumter it sounds pretty dull.

I really thought there would be all kinds of suggestions from residents i.e. folks coming to Orlando I'd suggest visiting museums, take in a play at the numerous amount of theaters, walk around Lake Eola and the fountain at night, visit Winter Park and take the boat ride there, Morse Musuem (Tiffany), Leu Gardens, Baldwin Park, Magic game if playing and the list goes on.

There must be more to do than golf and ride around in a golf cart.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Thats it??

Except for the Trolley ride suggestion which we will do along with the boat ride at Lake Sumter it sounds pretty dull.

I really thought there would be all kinds of suggestions from residents i.e. folks coming to Orlando I'd suggest visiting museums, take in a play at the numerous amount of theaters, walk around Lake Eola and the fountain at night, visit Winter Park and take the boat ride there, Morse Musuem (Tiffany), Leu Gardens, Baldwin Park, Magic game if playing and the list goes on.

Well, I don't close until late Jan.....only been to TV about seven days in my whole life; FL, maybe a week more....so I don't know everything there is to do. So I'll just repeat what everyone keeps telling me: "It's The Villages! You can do whatever you want to do! Enjoy!!"

"Dull"?? Yep, that too. You can be as dull as you want to be....
Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thats it??

Well...this isn't Orlando. This is a small town with upwards of 80,000 residents all of whom are interesting. You could go to each rec center and be amazed at the decor, but I would at least go to Colony and to Seabreeze...beautiful. You could have your sales rep show you some classes in session all over the town. You can see painters and potters and folks learning foreign languages and how to decorate and take a course on real estate law and even one on serial killers. You can play golf and pickle ball and tennis and bocce and shuffle board and billiards and paddle tennis and rowing and ride bicyles and in line skating and just sit and look at all of the different golf carts. You can take a boat ride on Lake Sumter that has no pee in it. And you can go to Orange Blossom Gardens and hear some great people sing really well there at the Kareoke. You can go to the church on the square and hear The Villages Philharmonic, if they are playing when you are here. You can find a place that "The Old tyme Radio" drama group is performing. You could see some clubs; model airplane, model boats, and trains too. They even have a nudist club and several Ohio clubs and Michigan club too.You can go to trivia night at Truman if you are here on a Sunday night. That place is packed with brainy folks. You can come to my house and be bored silly with the three of us telling you how much we love this place.

You will find lots to do.

Trust me.

And here is a huge welcome to lower Paradise.

P.S. You will notice a lot of older people here..................
Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Thats it??

Your location says that you are from Orlando. All of these things that you suggest you can do now if that is true. Your friends want you to visit the Villages. Enjoy your time here and ask them for suggestions.

Also you said you are only going to be here for two days. Local is good enough.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Gold member

I thought I might trigger a few more repsonses and appreciate them all.

I'm glad I spelled Lake Sumter correctly with no pee in it. That was phunny.

zcaveman- we do or have done everything that I mentioned re Orlando and a few that everyone can do i.e. 1 hour to the beach or cruiselines; not just for Orlando folks. Why would I not tell the truth? I don't work for the Orlando Chamber of Commerce.

Seriously a nudist club at TV or just someone walking around inside the house without clothes! Might not be a pretty picture in an over 55 community.

A MI Club. Will have to look into.

A convertible club?

Believe me I can be as dull as the next guy. I just want to experience as much as I can in those 2 days.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=graciegirl;423086] You can take a boat ride on Lake Sumter that has no pee in it.

Gracie. you are a hoot!!!!!!!

Keith - I was under the impression they hadn't been in TV before. If that is true, "if they blink, their time will be over"" in two days.

Let them soak up the music, dancing and other fun activities as I don't know what they will prefer.

I know I would get crazy to try and do everything in two days.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Gold member

Our time is getting close. We'll be visiting TV next week.
We'll do the trolley and boat ride; dancing/ drinking in the square; Katie Belles if we are allowed in; carting around town if our friends house they are renting for the month has a cart and just checking things out. Sumter Village and Spanish Springs.
Lots to do in a few days.
Think we may even drive over in our Inca Gold (Yellow) Thunderbird so my wife and her friend can drive around with their top down. The cars not theirs.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.