23 year old daughter may move with us

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Default 23 year old daughter may move with us

Were thinking of moving to the villages in fact we have four days booked in March as part of the Lifestyle preview plan.
My daughter who's 23 is thinking of moving down with us, Is she allowed to live with us? If so how common is this? she really isn't enamored with living in a retirement community. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeck View Post
Were thinking of moving to the villages in fact we have four days booked in March as part of the Lifestyle preview plan.
My daughter who's 23 is thinking of moving down with us, Is she allowed to live with us? If so how common is this? she really isn't enamored with living in a retirement community. Any input would be appreciated.

She is allowed to live here. She will need to check to see if there are career opportunities here for her field.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

She's not going to like it. Many old people will resent her. If she's good looking, the married women will shun her. Highly not recommended.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
She's not going to like it. Many old people will resent her. If she's good looking, the married women will shun her. Highly not recommended.
You forgot the smiley's.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

My daughter moved here with me when she was nineteen. She lived with me, worked at Applebee's, made friends at work, ultimately got her own apartment. She now lives in Ocala with my grandson. She enjoyed TV. She went to the pool, played some games, etc. she never felt resented by anyone here. It's not the optimal choice for a young person but certainly doable.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
What a mean thing to say. I assume you are kidding, but the OP doesn't know you or that you are joking (if you are) and she asked a serious question. There are plenty of young people around TV and jobs at all of the restaurants for them. I know at my age I don't want to be a waitress and be on my feet all day.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
What a mean thing to say. I assume you are kidding, but the OP doesn't know you or that you are joking (if you are) and she asked a serious question. There are plenty of young people around TV and jobs at all of the restaurants for them. I know at my age I don't want to be a waitress and be on my feet all day.
Very well said. What a lucky family able to share this utopia together.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

At 23 I wanted to live on my own, away from my parents, in a big city with lots of occupational, educational and dating opportunities. I chose the D.C. area which worked out very, very well. Residing in a retirement community was definitely not on my list! Of course different strokes for different folks and all that...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Default Bring Her Down

Our 25 year old Grand daughter has lived with us here in The Villages for the last three years. She works locally for a home health agency and is completing her Masters degree next month. She has loved it in The Villages. She is not resented in any way by our neighbors and she considers many of them her close friends. She will be moving to a convent in St. Leo Florida in January and we will miss her but she has a higher calling. Bring your daughter down - I think she will enjoy our community.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Sage
Default 23 year old daughter may move with us

Quote:
Wow.

Our 23 year old son has just moved out ( ) after living here for two years. His experience was just fine and was treated wonderfully by everyone at all times.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=outlaw;1141374]She's not going to like it. Many old people will resent her. If she's good looking, the married women will shun her. Highly not recommended.[/QUOTE

Wow the Villages old reputation rears it's ugly head.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[QUOTE=Smeck;1141414]
Quote:
She's not going to like it. Many old people will resent her. If she's good looking, the married women will shun her. Highly not recommended.[/QUOTE

Wow the Villages old reputation rears it's ugly head.

I am guessing that when you visit that you will see that most people are friendly and accepting. I am sure that she would love it here but a lot of young people might want to live in more age diverse areas.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

.[/QUOTE

Wow the Villages old reputation rears it's ugly head.[/QUOTE]

Over the last couple years There have been a number of posts pertaining to 20 somethings living in TV. Some pros. Some cons. I take it you have been around a while since you responded so negatively on your second post.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Email Reported As Spam

This issue is so personal and considered for a number of reasons that it would seem any response would be inadequate
Old 11-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Veteran member

Only on this board do I see/hear people so begrudgingly adamant about keeping this a sleepy "retirement" place.

Only here do I hear negative things about people under 55 living here. Our neighborhood has many people still working part-time because they don't want to be idle, they want to let retirement investments grow more, and they don't want to be a golf addict.

We also have a good number who continue to work by computer at their career jobs but from afar, and we have small business owner neighbors, too. Who doesn't want neighbors like this who work and pay taxes/SS/medicare that benefits the whole country????

Everybody we know LIKES younger people coming to live here. Most 20-somethings I'd venture to say are here with a purpose such as working to earn college money and qualifying for in-state tuition.

It looks like many here are clueless about what it's like to have a $1,000/month student loan payment with a new grad income of $30-35,000/year and rent at min. $750 with a roommate, plus car and insurance and gas costs. Suggesting going to DC/NY/Boston with triple the cost of living is just oblivious.

To the o.p., there are plenty of young people or young-MINDED people in TV. Your daughter will be fine here and I'd figure she's not planning to make TV her residence for the next 60 years, but for just a few!
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, thinking, daughter, common, appreciated, allowed, live, community, retirement, enamored, living, input, lifestyle, villages, fact, move, year, days, plan, preview, part, booked, march

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.