23 year old daughter may move with us

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
Only on this board do I see/hear people so begrudgingly adamant about keeping this a sleepy "retirement" place.

Only here do I hear negative things about people under 55 living here. Our neighborhood has many people still working part-time because they don't want to be idle, they want to let retirement investments grow more, and they don't want to be a golf addict.

We also have a good number who continue to work by computer at their career jobs but from afar, and we have small business owner neighbors, too. Who doesn't want neighbors like this who work and pay taxes/SS/medicare that benefits the whole country????

Everybody we know LIKES younger people coming to live here. Most 20-somethings I'd venture to say are here with a purpose such as working to earn college money and qualifying for in-state tuition.

It looks like many here are clueless about what it's like to have a $1,000/month student loan payment with a new grad income of $30-35,000/year and rent at min. $750 with a roommate, plus car and insurance and gas costs. Suggesting going to DC/NY/Boston with triple the cost of living is just oblivious.

To the o.p., there are plenty of young people or young-MINDED people in TV. Your daughter will be fine here and I'd figure she's not planning to make TV her residence for the next 60 years, but for just a few!
Your absolutely correct. We would be moving from Ct and she's a only child. We don't want to leave her alone she's a bit of a introvert. This arrangement would be for a year or two until she gets her bearings. She's Ct certified to teach elementary school.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Gold member
Default Actually I think you miss the point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
Only on this board do I see/hear people so begrudgingly adamant about keeping this a sleepy "retirement" place.

Only here do I hear negative things about people under 55 living here. Our neighborhood has many people still working part-time because they don't want to be idle, they want to let retirement investments grow more, and they don't want to be a golf addict.

We also have a good number who continue to work by computer at their career jobs but from afar, and we have small business owner neighbors, too. Who doesn't want neighbors like this who work and pay taxes/SS/medicare that benefits the whole country????

Everybody we know LIKES younger people coming to live here. Most 20-somethings I'd venture to say are here with a purpose such as working to earn college money and qualifying for in-state tuition.

It looks like many here are clueless about what it's like to have a $1,000/month student loan payment with a new grad income of $30-35,000/year and rent at min. $750 with a roommate, plus car and insurance and gas costs. Suggesting going to DC/NY/Boston with triple the cost of living is just oblivious.

To the o.p., there are plenty of young people or young-MINDED people in TV. Your daughter will be fine here and I'd figure she's not planning to make TV her residence for the next 60 years, but for just a few!
altogether. Most of the folks I know here feel that younger folks have younger ideas as to what "fun" means. This being said the older some of us get the quieter we prefer our lifestyle. The young folk tend to look towards a more active noisier atmosphere. While your take is quite negative mine is base on reality.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
She's not going to like it. Many old people will resent her. If she's good looking, the married women will shun her. Highly not recommended.
[QUOTE=Smeck;1141414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
She's not going to like it. Many old people will resent her. If she's good looking, the married women will shun her. Highly not recommended.[/QUOTE

Wow the Villages old reputation rears it's ugly head.
No, not the Villages.......just one poster!
And what do you mean "old reputation"?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I have a friend who had four children The three older ones (girls) married and moved out. The younger son was happy at home. My friend and his wife moved to a Sun City fairly close by, and their son moved with them. No matter how happy he was with mom and dad all his life, he didn't last three months. Who could blame him?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred53 View Post
altogether. Most of the folks I know here feel that younger folks have younger ideas as to what "fun" means. This being said the older some of us get the quieter we prefer our lifestyle. [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]The young folk tend to look towards a more active noisier atmosphere. [/COLOR]While your take is quite negative mine is base on reality.
My take is negative only toward people on this board who complain about young and/or working people who are here and working with a purpose for their future. We have kids in their 20's, and they don't look for "noisier atmosphere" where they live. They look for vitality and to me, the working people in TV add much vitality to it.

Vitality is not always "noisier" as in bothersome to others, or disturbing the peace. On the other hand, "retired" can translate to extremely "noisy" when retirees are drunk at bars in TV or when others are sitting beside a table of 20+ people yelling over each other. It also gets pretty "noisy" here when seniors b*tch about a hypothetical $2 increase to their amenities fee for something like safety striping the multimodal path curves and exits. "Noisy" in TV takes on many forms amongst "retirees"!

Last edited by goodtimesintv; 11-06-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

I had thought there were age restrictions on the majority of neighborhoods in TV but that there were some that were fine with families with children. Maybe I misunderstood that and certainly didn't look into it too deeply as my wife and I don't have kids and are of the target age for TV.

I do recall having seen signs at some facilities like pools that restricted use from anybody under the age of 30-something (I don't recall exact details as I don't live in TV yet though my wife and I did buy a house this year to retire to as soon as we can manage it). I'm not sure what other facilities (rec centers, educational centers, etc.) have in terms of age-related restrictions, if any.

It does seem like there is plenty of service work available in and around TV, from retail to restaurants to health care to whatever. A young person should be able to find some kind of work there. The OP mentioned their daughter being in her early 20s. If she has a college degree in something in particular, she may or may not find job opportunities in or around TV.

I'm not sure what the social opportunities would be for a younger person as every restaurant, theater, store, bowling alley or whatever that we visited definitely seemed to be skewed towards and older consumer. That was just fine with us, but might not be so attractive to a younger person looking for folks their own age to hang with.

I would suggest that the original post look into what age-related restrictions there may be (if any) for housing and/or facilities in TV, have the daughter look into what job opportunities there may be in the area and, ideally, bring her along on the lifestyle preview to see if can picture herself living in the bubble amongst a bunch of frogs. I can't wait to move there myself, but I'm not exactly in my early 20s anymore!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:22 PM

I can't see any reason that she could not live with you in the villages. It is not a typical lifestyle for older people.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Platinum member

my son was in college and so "lived" here when not at school. He loved playing pickleball and got to know lots of people. they were very accepting. He had a Villager ID because this was his permanent residence and he could go every where I could except the adult pools. I don't resent younger people around...it's enjoyable to talk to them.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Is it just me or do people turn against each other very quickly over age-related and dog poop threads. Easy way to cause a stink or stir the pot.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

She will love it here. People are very accepting of younger people. There is plenty to do and a lot of job opportunities.

And yes, anyone over the age of nineteen can be a full time permanent resident in The Villages.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Platinum member

some people do....luckily I still think the majority here are very accepting and just want to enjoy retirement and that other stuff isn't an issue
Old 11-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I had thought there were age restrictions on the majority of neighborhoods in TV but that there were some that were fine with families with children. Maybe I misunderstood that and certainly didn't look into it too deeply as my wife and I don't have kids and are of the target age for TV.

I do recall having seen signs at some facilities like pools that restricted use from anybody under the age of 30-something (I don't recall exact details as I don't live in TV yet though my wife and I did buy a house this year to retire to as soon as we can manage it). I'm not sure what other facilities (rec centers, educational centers, etc.) have in terms of age-related restrictions, if any.

It does seem like there is plenty of service work available in and around TV, from retail to restaurants to health care to whatever. A young person should be able to find some kind of work there. The OP mentioned their daughter being in her early 20s. If she has a college degree in something in particular, she may or may not find job opportunities in or around TV.

I'm not sure what the social opportunities would be for a younger person as every restaurant, theater, store, bowling alley or whatever that we visited definitely seemed to be skewed towards and older consumer. That was just fine with us, but might not be so attractive to a younger person looking for folks their own age to hang with.

I would suggest that the original post look into what age-related restrictions there may be (if any) for housing and/or facilities in TV, have the daughter look into what job opportunities there may be in the area and, ideally, bring her along on the lifestyle preview to see if can picture herself living in the bubble amongst a bunch of frogs. I can't wait to move there myself, but I'm not exactly in my early 20s anymore!
The age stipulations are that 80% of the homes must be occupied by at least one person over the age of 55 and no one under the age of nineteen is allowed to live here for more than one month total per year. Other than that just about anyone can live in The Villages.

I think that a lot of people might be surprised how many younger people live here and how many younger people come into The Villages from the surrounding areas.

There are three (I believe) Villages that allow children under the age of nineteen. These family villages were built primarily for employees of The Villages but are not restricted to them. Residents do not pay an amenity fee and are not able to access the amenities in The Villages. I also believe that these villages are not golf cart accessible.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Sage

I miss everyone under the age of 55.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I miss everyone under the age of 55.
I do too! Lately there have been some young adult grandchildren and people under 55 showing up at our pickle ball weds-fri group. What a lot of fun to play with them. Their energy is contagious.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I do too! Lately there have been some young adult grandchildren and people under 55 showing up at our pickle ball weds-fri group. What a lot of fun to play with them. Their energy is contagious.
I spent last weekend with my old family and my new family. I love making babies and little ones laugh. I miss that the most.
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, thinking, daughter, common, appreciated, allowed, live, community, retirement, enamored, living, input, lifestyle, villages, fact, move, year, days, plan, preview, part, booked, march

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.