23 year old daughter may move with us

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

At 23, she can live here. Maybe the best thing to do is once she is here, let her decide whether she likes it or not. If it's a no go, then look at options.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I spent last weekend with my old family and my new family. I love making babies and little ones laugh. I miss that the most.

I always thought that was fun too.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

One suggestion for you when reading the answers posted: throw out the #1 most positive and #1 most negative comment, and consider the rest.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
At 23, she can live here. Maybe the best thing to do is once she is here, let her decide whether she likes it or not. If it's a no go, then look at options.

That is right. A 23 year old is not a minor and she is probably captain of her own ship.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Sage

I haven't heard any negative comments about well-intentioned and respectful young people who live with their parents.
Smeck, I think your daughter will do well here if she likes the lifestyle. Not all 23 year olds would be enthusiastic about living in a retirement community, no matter that it's vibrant and offers a great lifestyle. I'm sure people will be friendly to her, and she will easily find employment in a restaurant or store if she is so inclined. If she has a medical background, there should be scads of opportunities.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You forgot the smiley's.
Oops.

Actually, there are upwards of 110,000 people living here in the season. Good and bad. I have met a ton of good people. But ,as a young person, I could not imagine wanting to live here. Let's face it. It is geared towards seniors, as it should be. Most young people, I think, would want to live around their own generation, with activities geared toward what their generation is interested in.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

It seems to depend of the personality of the person moving here be they 23 or 63 or 83.

It does not take much to keep me happy and I moved here at 46 or so in 2005 from Palm Harbor, Florida.

Highway 19 and all its traffic and headaches is something I hardly miss. More options in shopping, movies, theaters, walks and the like is a loss however.

Highway 19 is one of the most dangerous in the US. It is in the Tampa Bay area.

My younger brother was here for 1.5 years back around 2009-2010 but he did not fit in all that well here. While my older brother is used to cities like DC and San Francisco, so the Villages would probably be way too quiet for him. He does enjoy the less stressful environment the every 6 month trip he comes down here though.

There are times when I do miss the company of people of my own age and interests however.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I spent last weekend with my old family and my new family. I love making babies and little ones laugh. I miss that the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I always thought that was fun too.
Good spot, GracieGirl - helped lighten the thread
Old 11-07-2015, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

You will be sorry !!!!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:43 AM

About what?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,940 Times in 2,460 Posts

No law against it, I'm sure she will settle in fine. Lots of young people around the villages and I'm sure she will like the weather and within hour or so from the beaches. There about 30 percent that thinks they should close the gate after they move here, so anybody after them and younger they resent. Then there the ones that been here forever thinking they have priority over new comers. They will always find something to complain about.

It's your dime if your family want to live here nothing stopping you except making the transition.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Sage

This young person can teach Elementary School. I am sure she will find a place. Good teachers are always needed.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

[QUOTE=Smeck;1141414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
She's not going to like it. Many old people will resent her. If she's good looking, the married women will shun her. Highly not recommended.[/QUOTE

Wow the Villages old reputation rears it's ugly head.
I won't resent her. Maybe she can be a doctor. Higher demand here for that than teachers. I'm happy with my doctor but if she is a 9 or 10 I could switch. Still living the dream.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
My take is negative only toward people on this board who complain about young and/or working people who are here and working with a purpose for their future. We have kids in their 20's, and they don't look for "noisier atmosphere" where they live. They look for vitality and to me, the working people in TV add much vitality to it.

Vitality is not always "noisier" as in bothersome to others, or disturbing the peace. On the other hand, "retired" can translate to extremely "noisy" when retirees are drunk at bars in TV or when others are sitting beside a table of 20+ people yelling over each other. It also gets pretty "noisy" here when seniors b*tch about a hypothetical $2 increase to their amenities fee for something like safety striping the multimodal path curves and exits. "Noisy" in TV takes on many forms amongst "retirees"!
Every younger person I've observed the short time I've been here always seems to be having a respectfully good time; smiling, laughing and amazed about every thing here. On the other hand, a number of the older residents here have a tendency to complain about everything under the sun, try to sit too many together in a restaurant (and with that comes the yelling), drink too much, drive drunk...... other than that, it's utopia.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Every younger person I've observed the short time I've been here always seems to be having a respectfully good time; smiling, laughing and amazed about every thing here. On the other hand, a number of the older residents here have a tendency to complain about everything under the sun, try to sit too many together in a restaurant (and with that comes the yelling), drink too much, drive drunk...... other than that, it's utopia.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Closed Thread

Tags
moving, thinking, daughter, common, appreciated, allowed, live, community, retirement, enamored, living, input, lifestyle, villages, fact, move, year, days, plan, preview, part, booked, march

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.