3 Bedroom versus 2 Bedroom Plus Den?

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Veteran member
Default 3 Bedroom versus 2 Bedroom Plus Den?

We are new and just beginning our search in TV. We are hoping someone can give us advice on the differences between a 2 Bedroom plus Den (e.g., Gardenia, Sunflower, Begonia) versus a 3 Bedroom (e.g., Cedar, Bougainvillea, Lily) home. Many of the 2 BR homes seem to be advertised as having 3 BRs. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The den in the two bedroom + den does not have a closet, so it cannot be considered to be a third bedroom.

Depends on how much "stuff" you have to store, or how many visitors you get. Two bedroom and den works for us (Begonia), but we don't get too much company or have any grandchildren (toy storage, etc.).
Old 03-24-2014, 12:18 PM

As we are early in our initial "search / research" re homes in TV, we've encountered a number of appealing homes with the 2 bedroom + den floor plan.

Some of the 2 B + den homes nevertheless have decent overall square footage for our purposes - and the lack of an additional closet probably wouldn't eliminate our interest in an otherwise desirable home.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Third Bedroom because of the closet. You WILL run out of space period. Only certain things can be put in the garage and the attic.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerTracks View Post
As we are early in our initial "search / research" re homes in TV, we've encountered a number of appealing homes with the 2 bedroom + den floor plan.

Some of the 2 B + den homes nevertheless have decent overall square footage for our purposes - and the lack of an additional closet probably wouldn't eliminate our interest in an otherwise desirable home.
I agree. We liked the layout of the Begonia so much (guest br & den on opposite of house from mbr; golf cart garage) that the lack of an extra closet was not a deal killer.

Whenever we've gone from one house to another that had more storage space, we just filled it up. At least now we have all storage space filled and are living comfortably without adding more stuff!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Location: Indianapolis, Ft Worth, Naperville, Zionsville, Avon

We just purchased a 3 bedroom Begonia (meaning it has a stretch with a closet) and we need every bit of storage.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think we would be fine either way concerning guests but the added storage space does sound appealing
Old 03-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Third Bedroom because of the closet. You WILL run out of space period. Only certain things can be put in the garage and the attic.
What do you mean "only certain things" can be put in the garage and attic? Are there rules regarding this or do you mean too many things just won't fit?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
What do you mean "only certain things" can be put in the garage and attic? Are there rules regarding this or do you mean too many things just won't fit?
He means that the garage and attic gets too hot and many things can't be stored there.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Gold member

We have the Begonia and found that the front dining nook area is pretty much worthless for dining purpose so we are adding matching kitchen cabinets wall and base and making a desk / office area. Added cabinet storage is always good. We don't miss not having a closet in the Den. If we want to make it a bedroom we will just add a wardrobe hutch. We are trying very hard NOT to accumulate too much junk. I know it is hard to do.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:54 PM

At first, i thought that 3rd closet was a must.
Now, i do not miss it. Like Tnlakepanda says, " trying not to accumulate stuff" is crucial.
Stuff gathers dust, occupies space, breaks, etc
Since donating items, i feel freer, cleaner, less complicated.
I have not missed stuff we donated.
So the 3rd closet is no lomger an issue and i love the Gardenia.
You lose one window in the nook with the golf cart garage in the Begonia, which is the Gardenia w/o the cart garage.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:01 AM
Gold member

We built a Sunflower with the 2bd/den even though we did a 2 ft stretch down the entire side it was not enough to accommodate a closet in that front room.

We actually feel fine about it. Simplifying and all that.

BUT, we are seriously considering closing in the "nook" and making it a large pantry. We would put in a "coat closet" in the foyer and the pantry across the nook area. A place for a/c storage for dry goods and probably the modem, wireless printer, file cabinet etc.

We have considered a nice desk area there too. But I just know it would end up cluttered and I don't want that. With everything wireless we an sit on the lanai and be online, so the desk idea is less appealing.

We haven't made our final move...so lots of time to consider options. But we were sold on the GC garage, privacy in master, guest area with closing slider across the house. Even added an extra 9 ft slider to the lanai.

It all worked well for us except that nook which will never be used as a nook! Haha!!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
It all worked well for us except that nook which will never be used as a nook! Haha!!
Thanks for the reply. I've always wondered about the inclusion of both a nook and a 'dining room.' The latter seems too small (at least for our furniture) and redundant. Over time here in NJ, we've used our dining room less and less. For us, it would seem that either the nook OR the dining room would be fine by itself.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 View Post
So the 3rd closet is no lomger an issue and i love the Gardenia.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know precisely why but we seem to be drawn to the Gardenia as well. We'll finally be visiting TV at the end of the month so we can finally see some homes in person.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Sage

We have a Begonia, which is the Gardenia with golf cart garage. Because of that garage, we have only one window in the breakfast nook (on the side) instead of the big one on front plus the one on the side. We had a cabinet maker make us a pantry for that front nook wall that consists of two long cabs on either side, two cabs between those on the top, an opening for coffeemaker, espresso maker and toaster in the middle, and three drawers underneath that (between the two long cabinets). They matched our cabinet style & stain perfectly. The whole thing was custom made because we wanted the deep drawers (had those before and love them), but they didn't come stock in the depth we wanted. The price was actually cheaper than if we went with stock cabinets, because the stock cabs place wouldn't do the electrical. So that would have been $200 more, and we couldn't have had the drawers.

The cabinet maker did all the electrical work--sockets in the back of the coffee station for the appliances, and one on top of the unit for LED light string. Hehas two guys who are certified electricians.

The granite installer cut a piece of granite for the coffee station to match our counter tops. We had the nook chandelier removed and replaced with a pot light.

The extra storage is amazing.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.