56 years newbie to TV

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2021, 10:10 AM
Default 56 years newbie to TV

I am moving and renting for six months. Been there couple times. Thinking strongly about buying between Sumter and Brownwood. Love golf, softball and all sports talk (especially St. Louis Cards and my Fighting Illini!). Right now limited in my activities with couple bad knees. Any suggestions on areas to live. I have been very impressed driving around and seeing people sitting out on their driveways just talking and enjoying the company. Obviously I'm not the average age in the villages, and I enjoy talking to about anyone, but don't want to feel out of place. I have a college son that for now will stay with me during breaks, or until he finds better options than dad. I do enjoy the more established areas with mature trees and scenic nature. Thank you all in advance!!
Old 03-20-2021, 10:53 AM

I am a younger retiree (62) and we have been accepted by our "older" neighbors, very friendly when we arrived. Now good friends with several. Our neighborhood has a several regular golf groups (one for executive courses, one for championship) for both men and women. There are other neighborhood sport groups (bocci golf) and we even have a monthly pot luck (before Covid). We live far up north and the houses are turning over as original residents have aged out or died, and the new residents are younger retiree's like me. The older areas have more mature trees that were planted when the houses were built and were built on land with more existing old growth oaks.

The new areas are also mostly younger retirees, and there should be a fair number < 65. To me the new areas appear "bald", not having mature trees. The older housing stock also have their bond paid off (new houses get a bond to cover infrastructure costs that you have to start paying but is not included in the listed house price). Now that the bridges over the turnpike and hwy 44 are open the southern residents can cart up to the north.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:35 AM

I appreciate the information! I was told by people I met to stay away from the northern part because it is mainly for people that want very quiet neighborhoods and younger retirees live south.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,393 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flillini View Post
I appreciate the information! I was told by people I met to stay away from the northern part because it is mainly for people that want very quiet neighborhoods and younger retirees live south.
Listen to all people.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,554 Times in 421 Posts

Quote:
Absolutely not true. Northern areas are turning over. I also preferred mature landscaping and more restaurants, shopping... when I moved so I chose north. I was also younger than you and have never had one problem. If you are going to play softball, it will be quite some time before Everglades has their own leagues. For now, most divisions are being forced to play 1 season a year down there. The other 2 seasons will be at Buffalo or Saddlebrook.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,145 Times in 5,378 Posts

Quote:
Do not generalize. Get out there and see the area and decide for yourself
Old 03-21-2021, 05:05 AM
Veteran member

Already way too crowded in TV.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:06 AM
Default No problem being younger

In most situations, age is not an issue. I bought here 16 years ago, I was 55, moved in when I was 59 and was the “baby” on the block. I still am. I became friends with everyone, organized and held many of our neighborhood socials, etc....remembered the birthdays of everyone...and helped out in emergencies because I could. We are just south of 466, and are close to all shopping and squares, banks, and tons of restaurants if you like. I had my activities, they had theirs, but we always look out for each other and visit back and forth, etc. We too now have mature landscaping in our area and we golf cart most everywhere, and getting ready to go visit our new friends south of 44 across the new bridges....we cant wait. We have visited several open houses down there but just want to get acquainted. Having your college son here is a blessing because people our age love the younger crowds as long as they dont blare their music...lol. So, come, rent, lovely people all over here, we love our area, Lynnhaven/Tall Trees, Belvedere, Ashland, Bonnybrook. We are close to the turnpike and 75 access....we can be to west coast beach in 1 hr and 40 mins, or sitting on Nokomis beach in 2 hrs flat doing down 75. Dont wait to buy, the houses go fast and they keep increasing in price. I agree buying where the bond is paid off or close to being paid off and its a good idea...but each to their own. Good luck...hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:07 AM

The further south you go, the thinner the amenities get. We live close to Sumter Landing and take our golf cart everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	AB3B00A1-8CA9-4DBD-AE34-6439397D4625.jpeg
Views:	3860
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	88737  
Old 03-21-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
That's from people who don't live north. I moved to Glenview when I was 46 and hubby 52, we had our home built. We were well accepted. Other older original owners now moving out in their eighties, new people in their early 60s moving in. I'm 66 and love seeing all the new faces in their early 60s. Neighborhood is very active with block parties, potlucks, parties, sports get together and golf. You would feel right at home in the northern sections, and no $30,000 Bonds to pay off. Check out all areas of the Villages, stop and talk to people you see outside and you'll realize all areas are friendly. You'll love it here.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:30 AM

I'd be happy to talk with you anytime. I'm from Champaign, here for 12 years. Text me, 352-630-7445.

I moved here when I was 54. Go Illini!!!!!
Old 03-21-2021, 05:34 AM
Default New to the Villages

I am 56 and my wife is 53. In the process of buying a home now. We chose a house close to friends and family we know here. We are in Spanish Springs area. By Cart it’s about 20 minutes to Spanish Springs Town Square and 25 to Lake Sumter. We like it up here and would like it about anywhere here. Just keep checking out all the places and you will end up finding your right place.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

People self segregate and people rationalize their decisions.

How that applies here is the older, less active people stay indoors. Ero the more people you see outdoors the more active and yes younger they are.

The northern areas can be active just not as active. Do anticipate people who live in these areas to post that they are very active.

The truth lies in the recreation news. Look to what is scheduled in the northern recreation centers vice the southern and you can draw some conclusions.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:58 AM
Default Location in TV

I'm older and live between the sixes, 466 & 466A. If I were your age, I would consider being south of 44. Price/value is better there because it's new. In 10 years that area should be well developed with full amenities and shopping. Also, most of the people living in those locations are "brand new" to TV and do not have established relationships like people between the sixes. However, you will find real friendly people everywhere here. Learn to play Pickleball and you will soon have hundreds of acquaintances that might someday be friends
Old 03-21-2021, 06:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,144 Times in 884 Posts

There's also a social club called "south of 60" I believe where younger people get together. Might be of interest to you.
Closed Thread

Tags
enjoy, talking, areas, couple, place

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.