About The Villages' bus service to/from the airport

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2008, 01:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts
Default Re: The Villages' bus service to/from the airport is a scam

c'mon down , cyber, you'll love it here,

and this is just a bus service, wait til we tell you what happened to the buffalo !!!

now that'll wind you up and spit you out!

welcome
Old 08-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
Allow me to start again. Welcome to you Cyber. I hope you love my treasured home and enjoy it as much as I do. NO one can believe how wonderful this place is and how friendly. We are so used to people speaking in positive terms about almost everything that I was rude to you for which I apologise.

Come on down and make Paradise your home.

P. S . Hadley is the best Village.
You are right Ms. Gracie!! Ever so gracious! must be the name....

Come on down is right....start over....there is so much to love here!!!

Suzy Toronto
Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Sage

After reading this i assume Cyber is not a current resident and therefore was charged properly. So we can drop the scam word.

I hope this thread shows others the different methods to get to the airport. There were some new ones to me.

I think an 'Airport Exchange' club might work. You submit your name as being eligible to pick-up or drop-off at the airport and that earns you a chance to call someone on the list when you need a ride. Everyone would need to have at least a +1 in their account before they could call for a ride of their own. At $4 per gallon of gas and a 20mpg car the cost breaks down to about $28 per round trip (70 miles each way to MCO) just for gas not to mention wear and tear on the car.

Ok never mind - I think I'll just go the Enterprise route.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Now that we've purchased a car that we will leave in The Villages, we have to find transportation to/from the Orlando airport, usually with our dog along. We've been using The Villages Shuttle with good results but it seems like it would be better if we could find reliable, safe door to door transportation. This would certainly be easier for us during our stressful day of traveling.

I have some recommendations from previous posters and have names from the newspaper but wonder if anyone has some new and wonderful experiences to relate?
We're not good drivers and don't want to rent a car for our journey.

Thanking you in advance,

Bo
Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

The Villages Daily Sun has listed on their web site 11 different ways to get to the airport and other sites. Go to www.dailysun.com and click on the Hop to The Villages Link.
I will also add Florida Jitney & Limo Service. My son-in-law used them from the Villages to OIA around $35, and was satisfied with their service 352-259-2731. They pick up at Spruce Creek South & Walmart on CR466.

As far as using a cab when arriving from the airport on The Villages.....ever think of asking a neighbor?

I think calling The Villages service "a scam" was too strong and got this thread off to a bad start.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Cyber, I think most of us admire the concept that Mr. Schwartz and the Morses created and developed. We also gripe about many of TV's policies when it comes to the present-day greed factor. However, while I understand that newcomers might be under the illusion that The Villages' website is give out info, I believe that if you look at it carefully you'll see that it is strictly an ad for TV, nothing more. It is not out to make life easier for visitors but to make $$ for the developer and does the job quite well.

Other than this wonderful site, I've found one of the best ways to get info is to go the squares and ask questions. It's amazing how well-informed people are there and how willing they are to share the information they have.

I'm glad you found a better way to travel to the airport and appreciate you sharing your information with us.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-14-2008, 06:42 AM
Send a message via AIM to smalldog
Smile Airport Shuttle

Smalldog Sez
my wife used the shuttle to the airport and again on her return a week later ............. we went to the office about 3 weeks prior and prearrainged the trips like you are supposed to .. ....... every thing worked like clockwork..... ....... the one fly in the ointment was a bit of a wait on her return ........... which was almost like a safty factor considering aiurport delays these days ... ........... and surprise surprise we caught the trips on sale and it was less than the $40 ....

PS still no spell check
Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Default I always order a car

I have found the car services are cheaper than the shuttle because my daughter and my husband come in one car. Just call each advertized in the Sun and get the best for your needs. I used two different ones but as I am still up North, I can't give you their names.
Other reasons the car is better. 1) No waiting... no lost time. 2)Golf clubs and tennis rackets are not charged extra. 3)Drivers come right to the house and carry in the luggage, plus right to the Airport curb and carry luggage again. So I recommend people try the individuals advertized in the Sun. We have been very happy.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Sage
Default Airport Transportation

Fireboy has often used the Villages Shuttle to the Orlando airport, as I'm just not comfortable driving there. He commutes back and forth to Canada during the winter. Friends have also used the Shuttle. It is definitely not a "scam".

Recently Fireboy has started using the Florida Jitney (Thank you to Island Gal). It runs 24 hours a day, costs less than the Villages Shuttle, and picks up near our home. (For an extra $5 they will deliver him to our door).
We've only used it once, so far, so good.

If I had 2 or 3 guests coming, I think a Limo would be the way to go.

IMHO.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned
Default villages shuttle

we found them to be rather high too considering we're villagers!! Gee can't they do us any favors in the villages. we usually book a private car (lots of villagers do the run) and we'd rather pay them and you don't have to wait
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Sage

More input on the Florida Jitney ... sadly.

Florida Jitney advertises a 24 hours service.

Fireboy was scheduled to arrive in Orlando and take the Florida Jitney Sunday night to TV leaving Orlando at 7:40 PM. The FJ called him in Canada and said they were cancelling the 7:40 PM run.

So he had to book the 9:40 Villages shuttle. Thank heavens it wasn't later in the evening when the shuttles had stopped running.

I don't think the Florida Jitney will survive unless they run a dependable service.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Default Another Idea - Works for Us

A couple of our friends and us have found the perfect solution. We drive each other down. For instance, my neighbors drive us down in our car, bring it home, park it our garage, come get the car when we're returning, drive down and get us. We have a great visit to boot on both legs of the trip. We do the same for them when they go. There are several couples of us that do this so someone is always available. We all have the SunPass and by using your own car, you're the one charged for tolls. We've done this for about 3 years now and it works great and our cars are not left outside nor do we have to depend on cabs, etc. This works if going out of Tampa, too.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Gold member

you sure stick up for the villages. probably because you have a business
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
you sure stick up for the villages. probably because you have a business
Could you please explain what you mean?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

I guess that one's experience with The Villages Airport Shuttle depends on what you want for your money.

I've used the shuttle several times, and will continue to do so for the following reasons:

1. On-Time Performance - it is where it says it will be, when it says it will be, at both ends of the system.

2. Cleanliness and Comfort - to me, converted econoline van services are cramped, often unsanitary, and either too-hot or too-cold. TV Shuttle Busses have none of those problems.

3. Price - The difference for a single rider is about $5 for a cheaper (in all sorts of ways!) ride. To me, I'd rather pay a little extra for the comfort and convenience.

4. Rental Car Option - That's a personal choice, depending on the number of riders, luggage, etc.

5. "Limo" services - I'm never really confident on a "Joe's Limo" type of service, that it will show up when I want it to, or get there when I need to be there. I don't know how many people provide airport transport as an under-the-table service or really are a properly-insured, licensed business. All I do know is that reliability is critical to me when having to make a flight, and discount options just are not worth the risk to me.

Having said all of this, I'm sure there are wonderful people who provide alternate service to The Villages Shuttle. For me, the $5 or so differential is not worth experimentation.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.