About The Villages' bus service to/from the airport

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2009, 01:59 PM

Ditto StevenZ. I've used the shuttle also. Driver and staff were very curtious, able to carry on conversations with other Villagers or visitors which made the trip seem quicker, and I think I read a few weeks ago that they were lowering the price $5.00.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Default Bus Service

This unbiased talk out The Villages web site... it's purpose is to promote and market TV just like The Daily Sun's "Happy News" which I would not unbiased.

Have a friend or neighbor drive you, pay the gas bill and buy them dinner at a nice restaurant. Return the favor when they need a ride.

If you take TV bus park your car at the shopping center near Spanish Springs.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbr47 View Post
This unbiased talk out The Villages web site... it's purpose is to promote and market TV just like The Daily Sun's "Happy News" which I would not unbiased.
Mitch, I think you're saying that TOTV's purpose is to promote and market TV, is that correct? Just curious.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM

I lived in the Villages for almost 10 years before moving to Georgia. Moved because I got Married and my husbands job wasin Georgia. I used the Villages Airport Shuttle all the time I lived in the Villages and never had any problems and thought it was a great value. One Winter evening I arrived at Orlando Int Apt on and International Flight which was 3 hours late and expected to have to stay in Orlando until the next morning and to my surprise The Villages Shuttle was outside to bring me and another couple back to the Villages. I never forgot that and I felt they had gone above and beyond what I had expected of them. I had many wonderfull years in the Villages and enjoy the TOTV.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Default Jack's not around!!!!

Tried Jack's limo and was told that the number is not in service. So now how do I get to the airport
Old 12-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Veteran member

In addition to The Villages Shuttle, there is also the Shuttleliner (www.shuttleliner.com). We have used both and have had good experiences with both. The two services offer different schedules, so you might fine one works for your needs better than the other; but the last I used these services was $35 each way, per person, for either service. Particularly if only one person is traveling, it is more economical to use these services, when you factor in round-trip cost of gasoline, tolls, car wear/tear, and the 'wear and tear' on the driver, both ways, to have someone drop you off at the airport.

Shuttleliner's pick-up/drop-off, though is a little farther - it's the Sleep Inn near the Florida turnpike, on Hwy. 301. I don't know if you can leave your car there (if you wanted to/needed to) at the Sleep Inn, or, if so, whether there is a charge; but I would assume there would me. (When we have used Shuttleliner we got a ride to that location).

Another option, of course, is to drive your own car, and use one of the several off-site locations near the airport where you can park your car for alot less than the cost of airport parking, and get free shuttle service two/from the airport which is included in the cost of parking We have used one that is called 'Parkflyride", I think (probably can be found at parkflyride.com ) - but several of these are available if you do an internet search.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Don't forget the option of renting an Enterprise rental car for a one way rental to or from the airport. there is a $50 dropoff surcharge if you rent a car and drop it off at Orlando airport but there is not a charge to drive a car one way from the airport to TV. the Enterpise office is at Lake Sumter Landing. We have found this to be a good deal, especially for the hike from Orlando Airport to TV. By renting a car, you control your own fate as far as timing your leave as well as not worrying about missing a shuttle if your flight is delayed in arriving at Orlando.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Send a message via AIM to Diane Delmer
Question The Villages Shuttle

My husband and I will be renting a home the month of January. Need info on the shuttle around TV.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The shuttle in not a scam in any stretch of the definition. There have been many who have tried to compete and fail. It is a great service that is reliable and works well. There are many other alternatives that most have been covered here. And like everything else each has there pros and cons. If I come in alone, the shuttle is a great value. If I have a group, a rental car is a much cheaper option. With just two of us it can work well either way. Rent an Enterprise car or use the shuttle. Enterprise price structure seems to be dependent on where they have cars. I have paid from $45 to $95 for the same trip. At least the shuttle is the same price all the time. Does any other retirement community have a service like this? I doubt it. And I would bet that when TV is fully built out it will either go away or the price goes up.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Delmer View Post
My husband and I will be renting a home the month of January. Need info on the shuttle around TV.
Go here-
http://www.thevillages.com/AboutUs/shuttleSchedule.htm
Old 12-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Gracie, you never cease to amaze me. My husband and I haven't bought in The Villages,
but your are alway gracious in your replies to all....no matter if they have a negative
vibe to them.like this one about getting to the Villages...we have spent time in The Villages and found that if we rented the car from the airport in Orlando and drove down we had the car for the day to get settled in.and then dropped it off at the rental place (I use a site dealcatcher.com for discount codes)...heck, the rental company will drive us back to the home and from there on in we used the golf cart.....well, I confess, one rainy weekend we rented the car and drove around, but that was only one ...the rest of the time we met people to do things with......it is amazing, and I hope that it won't be a long time before we too are Village People
You have a wonderful day! You deserve many. Happy holidays!
Tripngirl - Boston area, and yes we have had snow.....
Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Tripngirl, you are correct, Gracie is always nice to everyone. The wife and I have had the great pleasure of meeting and having dinner with Gracie and her family and she is even nicer in person.

Army Guy
Old 12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Smile

The Florida Jitney went out of business and the Shuttleliner pick up point is at 301 and the Turnpike, so those are not an option. When my wife and I go North we go to Park and Fly and for 5.00-6.00 depending on your discounts you really can go wrong. The amount you are paying for shuttle's you are making up at Park and Fly. Just a thought..........
Old 12-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermuda View Post
Do not use the airport bus run by The Villages - it is a scam

The web site clearly states $40 per person each way yet my credit card has been charged $50 and they are baulking at refunding the difference

On the bus I took there were 16 people - if each had paid the lower rate the trip would have generated $640 - not bad for just over an hour's work. Is this any way to treat seniors who are on a budget?

Plus, the bus runs only every two hours (so you can be waiting a long time for it at the airport) and drops you off at either Sumter Landing or Spanish Springs - necessitating another $5+ in cab fare to get you where you actually want to go - your home!

So for two people, at $50 each plus tip, plus cab fare (plus tip) it cost us $120.

We returned to the airport using Jack's Limo Service (352-406-1851) for $85, door-to-door, at the time we wanted to go, with a very safe and courteous driver.
I have used The Villages Shuttle many times, and I have found it to be cost efficient and accomodating. This fall the rate for residents was $35.00. It is more for non residents which is understandable. Some people live to complain.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco57 View Post
Some people live to complain.

It is SOOOO true.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.