Adding outlet in garage

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodbear View Post
Has anyone added outlets in their garage recently? If so, can you recommend a person to accomplish this task along with rough pricing?
We used Galaxy Electric, very reasonable
Old 09-18-2022, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdburns11 View Post
We used Lenhart to put in a 50 amp 220 outlet for future hybrid/electric car use — obviously cabling and breaker box work cost a little more than what you may need…. But I would recommend them for electric work.

I'm thinking on going that route this fall. Can you share on how much that was? My garage is blocked so I assume they will have to put in conduit which is really no big deal looks wise to me. PM if you want.....
Old 09-19-2022, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post

I'm thinking on going that route this fall. Can you share on how much that was? My garage is blocked so I assume they will have to put in conduit which is really no big deal looks wise to me. PM if you want.....
I’ll look for the invoice - keep in mind my costs also included running a 220v/30a to the dryer (adjacent to the garage) since my wife didn’t like/want the gas dryer as opposed to what we brought with us.

Ok I found it — the 50a/220v for hybrid car use was $450 including up to 25 feet from breaker box. The other line for the dryer was $350. You’d still have to have whatever the pigtail for the specific vehicle but should otherwise be ready to go.

I was pleased with Lenhart and they also came out for free estimate.

Respectfully, DB
Old 09-19-2022, 05:43 AM
Default Cost of having a extra outlet installed in the garage??

Quote:
Has anyone added outlets in their garage recently? If so, can you recommend a person to accomplish this task along with rough pricing?
Cost of having a extra outlet installed in the garage?? Depends on answers to a few questions??
1.) what will you be using this outlet for? General use or a specific use like plugging in
a golf cart??
2.) General use could be a 15 / 20 amp breaker and using #12 gauge wire??
3.) Location of the outlet? I wanted an easy to get to outlet for general use like
plugging in a vacuum cleaner, a portable clip on battery charger, a power tool, etc.
I installed an extra outlet directly under my breaker panel. Easy install, easily
accessible to use.
4.) If you want to add several outlets or just one outlet. Obviously 1 outlet is
cheaper to install then adding 3 or 4 and less labor.
5.) In my garage there were 2 extra outlets. 1 on each side of the garage. I also have
very large build in cabinets on one side where one of the outlets was inside a
cabinet. Thats why I added a extra outlet under the circuit breaker panel.
6.) In New York, #12 wire is required for outlets using a 15 or 20 amp
breaker. Do Not piggy back a breaker and Do Not Add a outlet to a lighting circuit.
If you require an Electrician for your job hire only a licensed and insured Electrician
NOT A HANDY MAN. Electrical codes change and a licensed electrician will know
of a changes.
Best of Luck
Old 09-19-2022, 06:22 AM
Default Hire BT Electric, villager owned and operated

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFoot78 View Post
A dedicated line for your freezer is a no-brainer especially where you risk losing food.
I would use BT Electric, licensed, insured and dependable. Call now for a Free Estimate
Bob-1-(847) 366-7888
Old 09-19-2022, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I can't recommend anyone, I did it myself. pretty easy and effortless. Probably the worst part is figuring out why they labeled the electric box the way they did..... and then cussing about how they wired the house.... I've done 7 outlets so far aroubnd the house, fans, etc.... and still amazed (sarcasm) at what they did LOL .
Old 09-19-2022, 08:42 AM

$809 for a 240V 50 Amp outlet in my garage - Pikes
Old 09-19-2022, 10:47 AM

We've used Jewell Electric for many years. Very reliable and does fine work. His phone # is 352-751-1613.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I used Lenhart; the cost was $200. The 240V outlet was installed just below the circuit panel inside the garage.

I charge my Tesla Model X.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
I can't recommend anyone, I did it myself. pretty easy and effortless. Probably the worst part is figuring out why they labeled the electric box the way they did..... and then cussing about how they wired the house.... I've done 7 outlets so far aroubnd the house, fans, etc.... and still amazed (sarcasm) at what they did LOL .
Did you apply for permits and have your work inspected?
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, adding, recommend, rough, task

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.