Another Life Style Visit Question

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2023, 04:24 PM

A couple random thoughts for you...

Today there is only one way to cross the turnpike by golf cart. That's near the Water Lilly rec center. Some of the places mentioned preciously (Magnolia shopping, etc) are on the south side of the turnpike, whereby Sawgrass in on the north side.
There is a new bridge to cross the turnpike a little bit south of Sawgrass. BUT It is only open to cars today, and only leads to more southern things. Many people are anxiously awaiting golf cart paths to be put in.

On DISTRICTGOV.ORG there is a listing of the various clubs and activities. Might want to look for a card game to sporting thing to check out.

Google maps also has bike paths that can be shown as an optional overlay display. Some of those are also available to golf carts. Those are called multi-modal paths.

If you are lost on your golf cart, pull off to the side. As others pass, many people will check on you to see if you are ok. I have led people to where they need to go many times. I'm sure many others have also.
There are new signage on the paths that point you towards rec centers. Google maps will indicate those locations. There are also maps in districtgov. Print out something so you can figure out where you need to head.

On your phone, when you are at your rental, tag its location. Every area looks similar, and getting lost is easy. Also look up the closest rec center. People can point you to that place far easier than a random new street.

Golf cars sometimes share the streets. If there is a narrow lane on the right with big diamonds painted on them, that's where carts go. Carts are secondary to cars, so yield when entering the diamond lane, and yield if that lane ends. Many car drivers know the rules and do not stop for carts. Although, occasionally a car driver does stop and other car drivers become upset. It's a passionate fight for some people. Be safe, let the cars pass. Especially where there are gate arms.

Look in this site's posts for a month long listing for the entertainment schedule. One of the only places where there is a description about what the entertainment style. Most other listing might only say "Joe's Band", but listing here would also say "Playing classic rock from the 80s and 90s". Or "Big band hits from the 40s". Helps decide if you want to go or not.
Sawgrass is not a "square" but somewhat imitates one sometimes. There is music there, some days of the week, and sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes in the evening. Closest square is Brownwood, with something every night 5-9pm.

There is a radio station here that has information about events. They play random music and sometimes live broadcasts from events. On 104.5 and 102.(something too noisy to hear here).

You may get a CATV channel with local events and info. I don't have that, but have seen it in the rec centers.

Look for the weekly bulletin on districtgov for general information. Comes out on Fridays. Also has listings for rec center phone numbers. They have stuff available for using many of the amenities, such as pool cues. You can call and ask them.

Every week there is some sort of special event. Farmer's market at Brownwood. Art shows. Car clubs' car shows. Things at the north end will be a long cart ride, but you would get to see a lot of the area on the way.

Multi-modal paths are not lit. It's getting dark earlier now, so some areas can get very dark - especially from Brownwood to Sawgrass.
Most streets have streetlights (a lot more than many cities). Golf carts are allowed on some streets, typically within neighborhood in the southern area. On more streets in the north.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
No. You will not need a car since you will be here later with one. Enjoy your LS visit with the golf cart. So much to see and do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela1130 View Post
Yes, that is a good point. I will be able to see everything when I go later that is outside of the Villages. We might drive down too. Thank you!
I would strongly recommend that you should have a car. While driving a golf cart is quaint, you will probably find yourself spending much of your time getting to and from various regions. We live in Lake Sumter landing and drive to Brownwood to visit our health club and it is about 15 plus minutes by car. Figure twice that for golf cart.

A lot depends on what you think a Lifestyle visit is. If you expect to get up and go to the pool for several hours, walk a trail, golf a bit, perhaps a golf cart will do.

We looked at it more as a housing trip. Before we even left, we made a list of what we wanted. Location, price of house, type of house, size of house, two car garage, with golf car area, new area, older established area, near town, near shopping, golf course setting, pond review etc. Check out the model homes. They will be in the new area, but if you want to buy in a previously developed area such as Lake Sumter Landing, the home Models are similar.

The Villages is not a small town. It has an area 80 sq miles. (Compare that to Boston at less than 50 sq miles). Wouldn't you want to visit shopping areas such as north Highway 441, Mid CR 466, south rte 44. Perhaps check out nearby towns such as Leesburg, Mount Dora, Wildwood, Ocala. Check out medical facilities. Access to Orlando, Tampa etc. Even check out some nearby housing developments outside of The Villages for comparison.

We made two trips. The first was to explore to decide if this was the right place and narrow down our expectations. Some people recommend a rental for month or so for further definition.

A point to consider is your age. The Villages started out in the north and has developed towards the south. While there is turnover, you will find the new areas obviously attract the new buyers. As an illustration Lake Sumter Landing was developed around 2005. It quickly filled up with newly retired buyers ie 55 +. Guess how old most of them are now?

Good luck and enjoy. (Note that Daylight savings time will end and you will be loosing some daylight that is preferable for driving golf carts

Last edited by mtdjed; 09-18-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added thought
Old 09-18-2023, 05:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Of note... The times given on both of the GPS Apps tend to over-estimate the amount of time it will take to get to your destination.

For example, if it says 30 minutes, it's typically only 20 minutes...
So true…..
Old 09-19-2023, 04:29 AM

In the Sawgrass area there is no gas station, no grocery stores, no drug stores, no retail other than what's available in the Sawgrass market, which is pricey. Nearest retail is either Lake Deaton Plaza or Magnolia Plaza. Be prepared for a long golf cart excursion to either if you don't drive.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:50 AM

No car? How will you get to your rental unit?
You are in the newest area with the fewest amenities. In area,The Villages is the size of Manhattan. You will have a very narrow view of our Lifestyle.
They will probably include movie tickets in your lifestyle package.
Someone who knows the geography will be able to tell you how far it is by golf cart to the movie theater and a grocery store.
If you should need an Urgent Care…..can you even get there via golf cart? (COvid is slamming the Midwest again. But at least it’s treatable)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:14 AM
Veteran member

yes, I would suggest getting a car. If you want to purchase anything and keep driving your cart, you will not have anywhere to store your purchases and there is a lot of stealing going on here with things left in golf carts.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:27 AM

Just my opinion, but I would still want a car. You need to see the entire Villages from Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter, to the newest area. Even places in the new area are far apart. What would you do if it would happen to rain and you are not familiar with The Villages yet and trying to get around in the cart. You might want to see some of our strip malls like on 466, WalMart, Lowes, etc.---places you will need if you move here. I guess you might be able to tell I am the wife (share site with husband) but riding every where in the cart can get tiring. Just all my opinion. You will love it here....so much to do....close to both the Gulf and Ocean and cruise ports. Have a great visit.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks in advance for bearing with me asking another question. Do we really need a car for the LS visit? We are on no time schedule and would just love to explore with the golf cart. I know we will be in the southern area. (Anyone know exactly where). My rep just said Sawgrass area. I know the Villages is really big but is it doable by golf cart if you have no particular place to go? How far is the Brownwood area for the Sawgrass area by golf cart? We are renting in Brownwood for January and February. We will have a car then though. Thank you again.
You will be staying in Newell (my village). Well, you won't NEED a car but it will take you quite a while to get anywhere except for Lake Deaton Plaza and Sawgrass Grove. As others have said, Brownwood is about 30 minutes away. The good news is, if this doesn't bother you by the end of the visit then The Villages is for you. This part of TV has a good 2 to 3 years before it's developed sufficiently in my opinion. I knew that coming here and was OK with that. By the way, the Florida Turnpike is only about three minutes away from where you'll be staying as a reference for when you do move here. 🙂

Garden City, Long Island, NY
West Islip, Long Island, NY
Village of Citrus Grove (2021)
Village of Newell (2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:52 AM
Default No car needed.

If your goal is to explore just the villages a golf cart will suffice, weather permitting. All is accessible. If you’re interested in areas around the villages then a car is handy to have.
Quote:
Thanks in advance for bearing with me asking another question. Do we really need a car for the LS visit? We are on no time schedule and would just love to explore with the golf cart. I know we will be in the southern area. (Anyone know exactly where). My rep just said Sawgrass area. I know the Villages is really big but is it doable by golf cart if you have no particular place to go? How far is the Brownwood area for the Sawgrass area by golf cart? We are renting in Brownwood for January and February. We will have a car then though. Thank you again.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,609 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
If you are there for 2 months, you really don’t need a car. If you are seeing houses, have your realtor drive.

From Sawgrass grove, the Publix in Lake Deaton is 20 minutes. Brownwood is 20 to 25. The drive to LSL will be longer, but you have the luxury of time. It will take you a week to figure out the multi modal paths, plan on getting lost a few times. We all did/do.

the key is figuring out WHERE you want to buy. Spend time in all areas. Go to different pools, rec centers, etc.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
If you are there for 2 months, you really don’t need a car. If you are seeing houses, have your realtor drive.

From Sawgrass grove, the Publix in Lake Deaton is 20 minutes. Brownwood is 20 to 25. The drive to LSL will be longer, but you have the luxury of time. It will take you a week to figure out the multi modal paths, plan on getting lost a few times. We all did/do.

the key is figuring out WHERE you want to buy. Spend time in all areas. Go to different pools, rec centers, etc.
I don't think you will be able to get a real estate agent to pick you up and drive you around for 2 months showing you houses.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
That would be great to see the shopping but doesn't warrant renting a car for the entire time. I'm taking transportation to the airport, back and forth. Thank you very much for your input.
As a woman who enjoys shopping from time to time, just take it from me that you'll be happy with the many choices of shopping and dining. (Minus Trader Joes) Roadtrip, once a month to Gainesville for that, but worth a nice drive to combine with other things).

Truly, there's so much to make you happy here that shopping becomes a thing you do to add it the fulfillment of life here.

There's the usual, but not mirrored stores along the 441, 466, and 466a cooridors. There are boutiques, consignment stores and unique furniture shops along the outskirts. We recently discovered a Polish and Italian Deli in Leesburg.

For shopping, you'd drive in most instances to combine trips to the many plazas in the more northern 'hemispheres' of TV.

We live near LSL and unless grabbing something quick and easy, at our local Publix, etc., I drive my car. Other folks use their carts.

Enjoy your LSV, you can shop anytime, but the choices are there!
Old 09-19-2023, 06:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
I think that some missed this part of your original post. It sounds like you will not have a car for your LS visit. I would not rent one. Explore the southern half by golf cart, and then more in January and February. Groceries and restaurants are not far away from your LS home. Besides, getting there by golf cart is part of the fun.

Be sure to download "The Villages" app to help you navigate.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
My two cents: Golf carts aren’t really a form of transportation. Especially if it’s your only form…if only for a week. It may not be raining when you leave, but it is NO fun getting stuck in rainstorm in a cart. Sure, you can zip up…150 degrees @ 100% humidity in 4 minutes is not this guy’s idea of fun. I’d get a car…we have weather here.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:25 AM

We did a car free lifestyle visit. Shuttle from the airport to a sales office(pickup point). Salesperson took us to the house. We used the golf cart from then on.
Use the villages (official-free) app for directions.
Closed Thread

Tags
area, cart, golf, sawgrass, brownwood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.