Is anyone else frustrated when searching for activities?

Old 03-12-2024, 09:12 AM
Default Is anyone else frustrated when searching for activities?

Being a new resident of the Villages I was excited to start finding some clubs and activities to join but I have run into a few frustrations. Can anyone else relate? Seasoned villagers, constructive advice welcome.

- The Villages app and website searches don't always show the activity I am searching for or show what I can clearly see in the Weekly Recreation Activity Schedule that is published on Thursdays at the Rec Centers

- Have gone to several activities to find out it is just for preformed groups (games, cards ets) or it is a performance group (ie dance type groups).

- Some groups their name is so unclear as to what or who the group/activity is even for

- Using the filter for event type is fairly pointless since most activities are listed under social so you will still be stuck scrolling through almost all of the days activities (at least in the printed paper, the simple division of indoor activities and sports activities makes it more user friendly).

- Contact info on the website is nice but 9 times out of 10 I don't even hear back from the activities coordinator

- The list here on Talk of the Villages is so out of date, almost all the activities I looked into either didn't exist anymore or had the wrong date and time. ( I do like the additional information that was provided about the activities though so I knew if it was an activity that was a good fit for me).

Basically I think there is room for improvement in the Villages Calendar on the website and app to explore to activities and provide more information on each activity.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieKoblas View Post
Being a new resident of the Villages I was excited to start finding some clubs and activities to join but I have run into a few frustrations. Can anyone else relate? Seasoned villagers, constructive advice welcome.

- The Villages app and website searches don't always show the activity I am searching for or show what I can clearly see in the Weekly Recreation Activity Schedule that is published on Thursdays at the Rec Centers

- Have gone to several activities to find out it is just for preformed groups (games, cards ets) or it is a performance group (ie dance type groups).

- Some groups their name is so unclear as to what or who the group/activity is even for

- Using the filter for event type is fairly pointless since most activities are listed under social so you will still be stuck scrolling through almost all of the days activities (at least in the printed paper, the simple division of indoor activities and sports activities makes it more user friendly).

- Contact info on the website is nice but 9 times out of 10 I don't even hear back from the activities coordinator

- The list here on Talk of the Villages is so out of date, almost all the activities I looked into either didn't exist anymore or had the wrong date and time. ( I do like the additional information that was provided about the activities though so I knew if it was an activity that was a good fit for me).

Basically I think there is room for improvement in the Villages Calendar on the website and app to explore to activities and provide more information on each activity.
Welcome to TOTV. Your first post and it's a complaint. You'll do quite well on this site.

As far as the rest of it goes, I have no answer----perhaps address the question to the Recreation Department.
Old 03-12-2024, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Welcome to TOTV. Your first post and it's a complaint. You'll do quite well on this site.
Why wait?
Old 03-12-2024, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:

Go to Village Community Development Districts select recreation department and then clubs. Full listing available.
Complaints regarding clubs and activities should be directed to the recreation department.
You see, readers of TOTV do not have the capability to review your complaints and make changes to the system.
BTW there is a lot of other useful information on the District web site.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

As far as the rest of it goes, I have no answer----perhaps address the question to the Recreation Department.

Running in’ to click activities that don’t want no outsiders in. Plenty of that around here. I remember you had few compliments about sub par golfers that didn’t meet your standards.? I think he as asking questions for seasoned villagers seeking help.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Go to Village Community Development Districts select recreation department and then clubs. Full listing available.
Complaints regarding clubs and activities should be directed to the recreation department.
You see, readers of TOTV do not have the capability to review your complaints and make changes to the system.

If nobody has need ask questions then no need for forum.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

I think the best way to find what you want is to go to an activity you like at the time it is advertised in The Weekly Recreational magazine and find out for yourself. You see what they are doing and if you can join or they may have a suggestion for you, if you need to learn the game etc. Some activities, like woodworking have a long waiting list. Sometimes I find I’d like to do something that is not listed and I’ve been tempted to start a group. You might decide to do that yourself. I’m a Snowflake - not always here - so I hesitate to start a group and not be here for them all the time.

Activities are often local or volunteer led so it’s not like a class you pay for and you have a reserved spot. Fortunately most people are friendly and if you stick around, and there is room, they invite you in. It takes work but once you’re in, you’re on a roll. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2024, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

We found the clubs we have joined by asking others for suggestions.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
B

I've had good luck emailing the organizers for activities to find out what they're all about and if they're open to new people joining. Takes 1 min to send an email and I've never had anyone not reply.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

OP pick up a copy of the rec schedule at any rec or regional center. One can find email addresses for most clubs and classes if they are closed, what to bring and if there is a fee to attend for supplies.

If one want to improve what has worked well for us since 2007, may look in need of change for newer residents.

To consider change or improvement would suggest applying for a rec center job at TV
Old 03-12-2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think the best way to find what you want is to go to an activity you like at the time it is advertised in The Weekly Recreational magazine and find out for yourself. You see what they are doing and if you can join or they may have a suggestion for you, if you need to learn the game etc. Some activities, like woodworking have a long waiting list. Sometimes I find I’d like to do something that is not listed and I’ve been tempted to start a group. You might decide to do that yourself. I’m a Snowflake - not always here - so I hesitate to start a group and not be here for them all the time.

Activities are often local or volunteer led so it’s not like a class you pay for and you have a reserved spot. Fortunately most people are friendly and if you stick around, and there is room, they invite you in. It takes work but once you’re in, you’re on a roll. Good luck!
Reminds of when we were there last summer there was a trivia contest that I thought would be fun. Except when I called and talked to the guy he didn’t mention the fact that he charges $10 a head. When we got there and it was time to pay I didn’t bring any money and he didn’t accept credit cards. Lesson learned.

But in answer to your question regarding you’re not being there 100% of the time (who is?) get someone or two that will be the leader when you’re not there. Problem solved.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
THANK YOU for responding with helpful information. I have been frustrated too.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:13 AM
Veteran member

Jamie....go to Village Community Development Districts and go to the recreation tab. All activities are listed. Also, be aware it is high season. Everything is booked up at least an hour before the activity starts. Should lighten up after April 1
Old 03-13-2024, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

TV does do a decent job of advertising what activities are at which rec center at which day(s). Remember there are some 3500 clubs/activities in TV. It’s very hard for someone to keep things up to date.

When we moved here, I called many groups/clubs and had some very good chats on what the club/group does and if they have room for 1 or 2 people to join their group.
I have some groups myself and it’s hard to include snowbirds because if you want a certain # of people to sustain the group, you know 6 months out of the year, you will be losing 30-40% of your members, so we are starting to look at full time residents only for new members.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:59 AM

Quote:

You bring up good points that we all have felt in our orientation to this place. Learning the Villages is a process, find one group to connect with then network through them to expand your activities. It does take time to get engrained into the lifestyle here. The absolute key it to keep reaching out and try new things. Many or maybe most are not going to be your interest but it only take a few to start.

Oh BTW ALL Villages IT based functions absolutly suck. Their code was written a generation ago and has not been updated. If you want a real treat, try getting a tee time through their "automated" system.

Tags
activities, activity, villages, website, groups

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.