Is anyone else frustrated when searching for activities?

Old 03-13-2024, 06:09 AM

I found out early descriptions are misleading. They do not get changed because they would be at bottom of “list” and lose their room & time. Having said that, only rn into a few that way. Most were very welcoming! I prefer the rec paper version. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieKoblas View Post
Being a new resident of the Villages I was excited to start finding some clubs and activities to join but I have run into a few frustrations. Can anyone else relate? Seasoned villagers, constructive advice welcome.
If you have an iPhone, download the "UnofficialGuideToTheVillages". All entertainment is located in the app.

As for clubs.... I've found that joining your neighborhood Facebook group for Village clubs and looking at the Club schedule in the weekly Daily Sun (Thursdays?) or pick it up at the Rec centers (for free) for Village wide clubs works the best.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:56 AM

I have seen topics posted here that give a much better understanding of group activities. Strategy Board Games and Science/Technology are ones that I have seen here. It would be great if more groups would make the effort to create a thread for their specific group activities.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Go to Village Community Development Districts select recreation department and then clubs. Full listing available.
Complaints regarding clubs and activities should be directed to the recreation department.
You see, readers of TOTV do not have the capability to review your complaints and make changes to the system.
BTW there is a lot of other useful information on the District web site.
wow, 202 pages of clubs
Old 03-13-2024, 07:24 AM
Default classification of clubs

I partly addressed this problem with a website:
Dropbox - Clubs.pdf - Simplify your life
couple years old may miss recently formed groups.
Consult the villages website for details of the clubs referenced just by name.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Being a new resident of the Villages I was excited to start finding some clubs and activities to join but I have run into a few frustrations. Can anyone else relate? Seasoned villagers, constructive advice welcome.

- The Villages app and website searches don't always show the activity I am searching for or show what I can clearly see in the Weekly Recreation Activity Schedule that is published on Thursdays at the Rec Centers

- Have gone to several activities to find out it is just for preformed groups (games, cards ets) or it is a performance group (ie dance type groups).

- Some groups their name is so unclear as to what or who the group/activity is even for

- Using the filter for event type is fairly pointless since most activities are listed under social so you will still be stuck scrolling through almost all of the days activities (at least in the printed paper, the simple division of indoor activities and sports activities makes it more user friendly).

- Contact info on the website is nice but 9 times out of 10 I don't even hear back from the activities coordinator

- The list here on Talk of the Villages is so out of date, almost all the activities I looked into either didn't exist anymore or had the wrong date and time. ( I do like the additional information that was provided about the activities though so I knew if it was an activity that was a good fit for me).

Basically I think there is room for improvement in the Villages Calendar on the website and app to explore to activities and provide more information on each activity.
I agree! There’s no explanation of what the club is about.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Go to Village Community Development Districts select recreation department and then clubs. Full listing available.
Complaints regarding clubs and activities should be directed to the recreation department.
You see, readers of TOTV do not have the capability to review your complaints and make changes to the system.
BTW there is a lot of other useful information on the District web site.
There is a list of clubs there, but there’s no description of what it’s about. I believe that’s what she is referring to.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:53 AM

You are correct with all your points, and I agree, clever names do not help anyone looking for a specific activity.
Just take a chance and go to a few activities. Eventually you will find what you want. I think we have all attended a few things that were not exactly as described. Keeping the calendar up to date probably not going to happen. It is very disappointing to plan for something only to arrive and find out it has been cancelled or moved to another facility. Hope you find what you are looking for. Best of luck.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:

- The Villages app and website searches don't always show the activity I am searching for or show what I can clearly see in the Weekly Recreation Activity Schedule that is published on Thursdays at the Rec Centers

- Have gone to several activities to find out it is just for preformed groups (games, cards ets) or it is a performance group (ie dance type groups).

- Some groups their name is so unclear as to what or who the group/activity is even for

- Using the filter for event type is fairly pointless since most activities are listed under social so you will still be stuck scrolling through almost all of the days activities (at least in the printed paper, the simple division of indoor activities and sports activities makes it more user friendly).

- Contact info on the website is nice but 9 times out of 10 I don't even hear back from the activities coordinator

- The list here on Talk of the Villages is so out of date, almost all the activities I looked into either didn't exist anymore or had the wrong date and time. ( I do like the additional information that was provided about the activities though so I knew if it was an activity that was a good fit for me).

Basically I think there is room for improvement in the Villages Calendar on the website and app to explore to activities and provide more information on each activity.
As a renter I found the games and cards disappointing as its difficult to find a group to play with. Sometimes new/ temporary people show up and sometimes no new/ temporary people show up. Regarding pickleball, advanced and intermediate players show up for beginners times. That was frustrating. For them and for beginners.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:32 AM
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
R

Running in’ to click activities that don’t want no outsiders in. Plenty of that around here. I remember you had few compliments about sub par golfers that didn’t meet your standards.? I think he as asking questions for seasoned villagers seeking help.
Click or Clique??
Old 03-13-2024, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

I think when a group is full, or they don’t want “outsiders” there should be a way of indicting it. For example, in my neighborhood some socials indicate the area that the members are supposed to be from. If you live outside of that area then you are not invited. Some groups/clubs require a membership fee to be a member. That should be mentioned up front.

It is difficult for Snowbirds/renters because when they arrive, they assume that they will be able to join whatever is going on. That is not the case, one needs to check which social groups/clubs have room/games etc or are available at the newcomers’ level. And when Snowbirds arrive, suddenly they also find there is much competition from other Snowbirds. In general though, I have found only a few clubs are “exclusive” nearly all welcome new people.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

You are right. It IS very difficult to figure out the purpose of many groups because of ambiguous titles. For instance I belong to a group (Thursday mornings at Laurel Manor) that is called "I can do it Crafts". It doesn't say whether you "do it" all together as a group and just what kinds of things folks are doing and whether someone is guiding you and if you need to bring the materials and if there is a fee if you don't etc. etc.. You don't know if there is room. (There is) I think that something needs to be done that lets people know if you can get right in or you have to be first in line or there is a waiting list. I also think a good description of what is taking place is VERY important. Now if there isn't a group that is doing what you'd like to do, then start one. (If you can find an empty room at a decent time and have enough people interested to book the room)....Good luck to you. It really made sense to me your valid complaint and I have lived here 17 years. Hope my support helps.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-14-2024 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela1130 View Post
As a renter I found the games and cards disappointing as its difficult to find a group to play with. Sometimes new/ temporary people show up and sometimes no new/ temporary people show up. Regarding pickleball, advanced and intermediate players show up for beginners times. That was frustrating. For them and for beginners.
Forget pickleball and learn to play tennis. Lots of beginner places to play.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:39 PM
Sage

This is the way it used to be and what we miss: The club's representative would deliver that week's announcement to The Daily Sun for insertion in Thursday's paper explaining what was happening. Here is an example from 2019:

"Iris Folding-The group meets 9-11:10 am, the second and fourth Fridays of each month at Colony Cottage Recreation Center. All are welcome. Come and create unique paper art in a relaxed, fun atmosphere while completing two projects. For a supply list and information, email ____ _________at ______________.com"

So the club listings were quite informative. However, as the year went on, someone, district.gov? complained about the considerable expense of publishing the Bulletin. Although they started severely limiting the number of words in the listings, the listings still could contain a description of the club's purpose and workings. Then the pandemic pretty much halted club activities and the need for a big bulletin. When it was restored, the information was limited to what it is now.

I would think that an on-line edition with comprehensive descriptions of clubs that want to advertise would fill the void and lessen the frustration of having to run all over TV to check them out..
Old 03-13-2024, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
Click or Clique??
Clack

Tags
activities, activity, villages, website, groups

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.