Apartments in the Villages

Old 04-14-2024, 06:41 AM
Default Apartments in the Villages

I want to sell my house in the villages and move into an apartment. Are there apartments in the villages that you can rent? I want to keep access to the rec centers so that is why I want to rent in the villages.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,791 Times in 5,285 Posts

The Lofts near Brownwood are the only actual apartments that I know of. Long waiting list. There are independent living facilities, but they include meals and are very expensive. Two facilities are Sumter Senior Living on Rt 466A and Watercrest on Rt 466 near Buena Vista Blvd.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipd411 View Post
I want to sell my house in the villages and move into an apartment. Are there apartments in the villages that you can rent? I want to keep access to the rec centers so that is why I want to rent in the villages.
It is cheaper to rent a small home.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:51 AM

The Lofts at Brownwood and a few in (I believe) Spanish Springs area over shops which are recently renovated into apartments since The Lofts has been a success.
The Lofts has a waiting list, first priority to Villager's, call and go see them, nicely appointed, allow full Villages access. Pricing depends on unit type, location in the building (there are 5) if you want a golf cart space and if so is it electric or gas.
Look into a long term house rental, that may work for you. Check listings on rentfromavillager.com.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
Old 04-14-2024, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Why sell a house and turn around and rent a house?
Old 04-14-2024, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why sell a house and turn around and rent a house?
With home prices moving downward, we sold while we could still get top dollar. Our plan was to downsize. But, home prices are falling so we invested our home proceeds instead.

We pay $1900 a month plus utilities for a 3 bed 2 bath CYV with a 2 car garage. We use our social security checks to pay ALL of these expenses. Eventually, we will buy another home but are waiting for a good opportunity. So far, none of the homes listed have appealed to us.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Lofts near Brownwood are the only actual apartments that I know of. Long waiting list. There are independent living facilities, but they include meals and are very expensive. Two facilities are Sumter Senior Living on Rt 466A and Watercrest on Rt 466 near Buena Vista Blvd.
Do you know if the independent living facilities, & the assisted living give access to the Villages amenities? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2024, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager-2024 View Post
The Lofts at Brownwood and a few in (I believe) Spanish Springs area over shops which are recently renovated into apartments since The Lofts has been a success.
The Lofts has a waiting list, first priority to Villager's, call and go see them, nicely appointed, allow full Villages access. Pricing depends on unit type, location in the building (there are 5) if you want a golf cart space and if so is it electric or gas.
Look into a long term house rental, that may work for you. Check listings on rentfromavillager.com.

The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
I have to question that The Lofts actually has a waiting list. I went there and the salesperson told me there is a 2 year waiting list, and that she would put me on it. But, there was no deposit, no written confirmation, and no follow up whatsoever. You cannot maintain an active waiting list unless you collect a deposit and provide regular follow up information about the status of the list. It sounds like they have so many people ready to move in that they don't care about maintaining a list. Very inefficient management.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-14-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Do you know if the independent living facilities, & the assisted living give access to the Villages amenities? Thanks!
The ones that I mentioned do provide access to the amenities. Some others also do, but some do not. What I don't like about Sumter Senior Living and Watercrest is that they charge about $6,000 per month for an unfurnished apartment and there is no lease, except month-to-month. To me, a better option is Freedom Pointe, but they are condos, not apartments. You pay a large amount upfront ($350K to $500K) and a monthly fee of about $4,500+. Technically, it is a condo, but you can only sell it back to Freedom Pointe. I would suggest visiting several facilities.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I have to question that The Lofts actually has a waiting list. I went there and the salesperson told me there is a 2 year waiting list, and that she would put me on it. But, there was no deposit, no written confirmation, and no follow up whatsoever. You cannot maintain an active waiting list unless you collect a deposit and provide regular follow up information about the status of the list. It sounds like they have so many people ready to move in that they care about maintaining a list. Very inefficient management.
This is my experience, YMMV. Four years ago I called and was put on an "interest" list. I received updates by email and a phone call every 4-6 months asking if I was still interested - at that time over 600 on the interest list.

August 2023 I was here on a lifestyle visit, went to The Lofts and moved to a "ready, willing & able" list - meaning if called I had to decide immediately if I wanted a unit. I lived out of state, nearing retirement. Anticipated availability spring of 2024. Meanwhile I also looked for a long term house rental and found a great place to which I committed in October for April move-in. Kept on the RWA list as a Plan B. Was notified in February by The Lofts that turnover was less than expected and so many current Villager's wanted to downsize and they were "priority" that I would not be offered an apartment any time soon. Also informed of the new apartments being added in Spanish Springs (check that-may be another square). Now that I am a Villager I have moved to the "priority" list and could be offered an apartment in a year or two. I'd pass since I have a long term lease. That's the way it worked for me, emails/phone calls every few months from them asking status since so many on list and that changes frequently. I did call them every few months, always updated and kept informed. Long term house is my reference, which I found and love. The Lofts a good option for many, all depends on what you want.
Old 04-14-2024, 11:06 PM

The new ones are in Spanish Springs (at the former Katie Belle's location), and they're called "The Lofts at Van Patten House".
Old 04-15-2024, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma318 View Post
The new ones are in Spanish Springs (at the former Katie Belle's location), and they're called "The Lofts at Van Patten House".
I heard the rent in Spanish Springs apartments is $3500-$4000 per month. At that price it is better (and cheaper) to rent a home from a Villager. You will have bigger rooms, a yard, lanai, and garage. You will not have to lug your groceries and what not from a detached parking space quite a distance away.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:34 AM
Veteran member

American House on 466A is independent living, however, not accessible to the amenities. but, an awesome place to live for seniors.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipd411 View Post
What did your realtor advise you?
Old 04-15-2024, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The ones that I mentioned do provide access to the amenities. Some others also do, but some do not. What I don't like about Sumter Senior Living and Watercrest is that they charge about $6,000 per month for an unfurnished apartment and there is no lease, except month-to-month. To me, a better option is Freedom Pointe, but they are condos, not apartments. You pay a large amount upfront ($350K to $500K) and a monthly fee of about $4,500+. Technically, it is a condo, but you can only sell it back to Freedom Pointe. I would suggest visiting several facilities.
The monthly fee for Freedom Pointe depends on number of residents in the condo as it is the only fee and includes some meals and all utilities. Also, not sure the smallest unit is at $350,000, althought the cost does include how you choose to outfit the unit. The caveat there is the medical care FOR LIFE, tho. It's not just an apartment complex. You are buying in to a LIFE CARE plan you never pay another penny for and can never be refused care...moving thru independent to assisted to memory, alzheimers, nursing care, etc. FOR LIFE.

Tags
villages, apartments, rent, access, rec

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.