Attic Storage

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Smile Attic Storage

Hello,
We will be moving to TV next year. I am currently in PA downsizng. My question is regarding photo books. Can they be stored above the garage? Will the humidity/heat destroy them? Does everything stored in the garage and in the above-the-garage storage space have to be in plastic boxes instead of cardboard? What can and can't be stored in the attic? Any information would be appreciated? I don't know where I'm going to put everything! Thank you.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Default storages in cardboards.

Storages of anything in cardboard boxes in atic or anywhere in house is a bad idea. Bugs are attracted to the glue in the boxes; and anyone who has lived in the the Villages knows it does not take much to atract bugs.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Founder

Remember too that the temperature in a Florida attic will reach 115-125 degrees. That kind of temp over a short period can cause serious damage to precious items.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

While on the subject....Is there enough head room in the attic to turn the space into a climate controlled area? I haven't been up in ours. I would guess that the Bridgeport and the Lantana have a lot of space up there, just judging from the exterior. I was wondering that too about the Cottages at Lake Sumter.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
While on the subject....Is there enough head room in the attic to turn the space into a climate controlled area? I haven't been up in ours. I would guess that the Bridgeport and the Lantana have a lot of space up there, just judging from the exterior. I was wondering that too about the Cottages at Lake Sumter.
No, there is not.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Depending on your roof style there could be more or less room than in other models. For example the Amarillo with the standard gable has a different amount of head room / storage area than a hip roof because of the joust settings.

But either way not enough for climate control unless you are considering an attic fan.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Smile

Gracie, I have a Bridgeport but don't have a great deal of attic space either. There are roof trusses and bracing in many places making it unusable for storage. A small area over the garage where the access hatch is has modified trusses to create a space of about 8'x 8'. That is it for storage.

The other concern for any home is that the ceiling joists are not designed to support much weight. If you overload it with storage you will probably develop cracks in the dywall ceiling. With even greater load, you run the risk of ceiling collapse.

Maybe we can all leave a POD on the sides of our homes for storage. I am not sure that Community Watch would agree.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.