Where to buy new?

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Default Where to buy new?

My wife and I are coming to TV tomorrow to hopefully purchase. We were there in Feb and did some scouting. Most of the activity seems to be north of 466A but now with Brownwood open more homes at more reasonable prices are closer to there.
I'm sure that when people bought in Gilchrist and Pinellas when it was new it was the same. How long did it take to really get built up. We don't want to be traveling long distances in our Golf cart to go shopping and to Sumter Landing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:37 PM

We just bought in Pinellas, which is south of 466A. It's far from being done (tons of construction). They are building a Sweetbay and other stores close to Pinellas. Sumter Landing is still doable by cart, and from what everyone says on here, once you're a resident, you spend your time doing activities and don't go to the squares every night anyway.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 AM
Bosoxfan

We are building in Gilchrist which is south of 466A and not finished. Maybe all the house lots are sold and just not built as yet. We have lived here in the Village of Amelia for almost 4 years. No place is too far for our golf cart. You will discover your favorite places to shop, dine and play throughout the Villages no matter where you live.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Sage

Drive through different villages and see what "feels" right. As fast as they build out here I'm sure any area will be close to something - you want to feel good about where you live and each area has a different feeling. Some folks go all out and landscape, some leave what the builder has done, you can see pride of ownership and some areas have a look like they are rentals. So take a look around and see what suits you. It also helps to have a specific model in mind while you are looking.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

Welcome to TV. We were in the same situation as you. We were looking at pre-owned homes but then took a look at some of the homes in Brownwood. Since the prices of the new homes were the same or less than pre owned we decoded on a new home. We are making settlement on our home on April 30th. We have been renting in TV since February and we do not feel that any place is too far away. Once you travel around a few times you find different ways to get to the places that you need to be. Hope this helps with your decision
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We are in fernandina and it does not take that long to get up to LSL..and to go to SS to the movies is just an adventure in your golf cart...One thing i would advise it a gas cart that way you can go anywhere and your second cart electric... if you are unsure this is the time of year owners rent out their homes by the day or week..stay in a couple of different villages and go out with the cart that will be the only way you will know for sure
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
My wife and I are coming to TV tomorrow to hopefully purchase. We were there in Feb and did some scouting. Most of the activity seems to be north of 466A but now with Brownwood open more homes at more reasonable prices are closer to there.
I'm sure that when people bought in Gilchrist and Pinellas when it was new it was the same. How long did it take to really get built up. We don't want to be traveling long distances in our Golf cart to go shopping and to Sumter Landing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Bless your dear hearts, you are lost, just like the rest of us were when first we entered this huge labyrinth of similar looking homes and beautiful roads.

There hasn't been new homes built north of 466 for a good while. The new growth has moved south and all new building is now south of 466A, but not yet to Brownwood town center, but heading in that direction.

Gilchrist and Pinelles are new villages and not yet a year old.

Here is my advice to you. Buy a Villages map from Villages Mercantile, Publix or some other place and don't leave home without it. Contact a sales rep for the villages and if you don't immediatly like him/her, ask for another one.

Remember this from someone who wants you to be happy here.
There are sinkholes and lightning strikes, alligators, love bugs and bad, BAD drivers and a lot of oldish people live hereand the developers will not take contingency offers on a new home and it cannot be financed in any way but conventional. There is a SEPARATE charge called the bond on a new home for the infrastructure that is unlike any place you have ever lived. It is about 23K on a designer, a middle sized home.

The Daily Sun has a different slant than that of The Orlando Sentinel and The Tampa Bay Times. There are many decent and not expensive restaurants but nothing like New York City for food experience.

The developer is very rich...I mean very rich and no one I know has ever met him. He also makes large political contributions.

Some people do NOT like him. Those people don't know him either.

Most of us are VERY happy here and I hope you will be too.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-16-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
My wife and I were in a similar situation a year ago.

After weighing all the pros and cons, we chose to purchase an existing home next to Palmer Legends golf course.

While we sometimes wish we had some of the amenities of the newer homes, we love the fact that we are so centrally located....and would make the same decision again.

Good luck on your search.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Location: Elmont (LI) NY, Cornwall, NY, Fernandina The Villages

Quote:
We closed on our home in Fernandina in January. We are not full time yet but counting the days till retirement when we will be (Jan 2015). Was just there for 2 weeks in March. I love the area we are in. Lots of construction and lots of new homes and new people to meet. I love the energy I feel there. Don't be afraid to piurchase in the new areas. I think it is a happening place!!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Platinum member

RichardC:

If you learn nothing else from ths forum, you must take away the fact that our beloved Gracie is The Very Best!

We love her to death, and will stand behind her suggestions, whatever they may be!

SWR
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Gold member
Location: Northfield IL, Tampa FL, Norway, Boynton Beach FL, Highland Park IL, Gilchrist soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
RichardC:

If you learn nothing else from ths forum, you must take away the fact that our beloved Gracie is The Very Best!

We love her to death, and will stand behind her suggestions, whatever they may be!

SWR
! There is no one as generous as Gracie!!
That being said, I have built a home in Gilchrist and love it. One thing about purchasing new is that everyone is starting out together, and there is a lot of energy and socializing going on. Gilchrist is south of 466A and west of Fernandina. I do not feel removed from anything and have no problems getting anywhere I wish to go. Are there more convenient locations? Definitely! Are they any better? Probably not... It's most important for you to decide what is best for yourselves and base your decision on that.

Wherever I am is where I'm supposed to be
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Gold member

Good luck in your search! Anywhere in TV is a great place to live! One of my favorite things to do is drive my golf cart! I take it everywhere from Spanish Springs to Brownwood! Scenery is fabulous!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks so much for all of your comments. We have an accepted offer on a preowned Courtyard Villa in Tamarind Grove. It fulfills our needs and wants of location and design. Home has many upgrades. Looking forward to closing and enjoying life in TV. Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thanks so much for all of your comments. We have an accepted offer on a preowned Courtyard Villa in Tamarind Grove. It fulfills our needs and wants of location and design. Home has many upgrades. Looking forward to closing and enjoying life in TV. Thanks again everyone.

Excellent choice.

Welcome. May you find your experience as happy as ours.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Location: Wisconsin, San Antonio, Germany, Korea, Alabama and soon The Villages

We also have a home in Tamarind Grove and absolutely love it! We won't be full-time residents until June. The pool area in Tamarind Grove is one of the prettiest I've seen (of course that is just my opinion) and people I have met there are very friendly and helpful. Hopefully we will meet at some point. Congratulations on your home!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.