Auto Insurance for Folks in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Default Auto Insurance for Folks in The Villages

I realize this may be a difficult one to answer, being such a general question, but if you do not mind, would some of you folks give me an idea of what I can expect as far as auto insurance goes, as my wife and I are contemplating a move from Georgia to TV. It would help if you would include what you are driving and year of build. I am taking for granted most have full coverage, deductibles not withstanding. Thanks in advance, cycler
Old 03-13-2023, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Prepare to pay even if you have a spotless record. They are lawsuit crazy down here and guess who pays?
Old 03-13-2023, 02:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Too many variables. Credit, driving history, violations, make and model,etc. Ask your existing provider for a quote.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
I realize this may be a difficult one to answer, being such a general question, but if you do not mind, would some of you folks give me an idea of what I can expect as far as auto insurance goes, as my wife and I are contemplating a move from Georgia to TV. It would help if you would include what you are driving and year of build. I am taking for granted most have full coverage, deductibles not withstanding. Thanks in advance, cycler
Ask your insurance company.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:16 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,550 Times in 418 Posts

Just assumer that FL will be a good bit higher than GA. NJ has the highest rates in the country because of fraud. FL has one of the highest rates because of the number of uninsured drivers.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
FL has one of the highest rates because of the number of uninsured drivers.
And tourist that aren't familiar with a area among senior drivers with poor driving skills
that effects auto rates in Florida.

Then we'll leave round abouts and golfcarts for a future discussion.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:17 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Prepare to pay even if you have a spotless record. They are lawsuit crazy down here and guess who pays?
Yes, be prepared for a SHOCK, even with very high credit rating, no mortgage, perfect driving record, not even a speeding ticket in college, and it's 3 times cost for full coverage, same company, than in previous state. Even worse, many companies will not even offer you a break if you do home and auto. Many times you may have to go to two different companies, not always, but often, to get your home insured and your auto.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:29 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
And tourist that aren't familiar with a area among senior drivers with poor driving skills
that effects auto rates in Florida.

Then we'll leave round abouts and golfcarts for a future discussion.
Overall, I would venture that senior drivers all have "poor" driving skills, or even tourists not knowing how to drive properly when they bring their families to vacation in Florida, are a very tiny part of those involved in the accidents and resulting law suits. Many MANY communities here in the USA and in Europe have round-a-bouts, and drives from almost all states know the meaning of "dotted" lines and solid lines. If it were possible to do so, I think you would find the high rates are for ALL of FLORIDA, and the highest percentage of accidents involve working age people, independent trades people who mow, trim trees, etc. and carry no insurance, and the high number of non citizens with no insurance and often no valid driver's license. Florida also (unfortunately...but NOT limited to Florida), has a high number of young street racers, a very dangerous pass time that has ended in a great many tragedies. I think you might be surprised at the actual break down in the actuary tables of age, citizenship, etc. Florida also has a very high number of impaired drivers, drugs and alcohol, beaches, and interstate highways where drivers going the WRONG way, or UP and OFF ramp, is not uncommon. No, think there is a great deal more to high rates than mature drivers and round-a-bouts !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 03-13-2023 at 09:32 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-13-2023, 11:17 PM

Our auto insurance with full coverage (collision, comp etc.) dropped by about 40% in Florida compared to what we payed in the Northeast
Old 03-14-2023, 01:03 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Ours did also.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycler View Post
Car Insurance Rates By State in 2023 | Know How Much is Car Insurance.

Car insurance rates by state for 2023 – Forbes Advisor

Why Is Car Insurance So Expensive in Florida? | MoneyGeek.com
Old 03-14-2023, 07:29 AM

Appreciate all the responses. Yes, I realize that our driving records matter when it comes to a policy price, and I do plan to ask my current agent if they could give us an idea of costs in Fl. Thanks again for your responses, cycler.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,194 Times in 761 Posts

Florida insurance costs more than many other states. Home & Auto.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:28 AM

Full coverage in Florida over $4K?? Really? We have FULL coverage with Travelers and are paying just under $1k Premium annual.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:39 AM

We pay about the same as we did in GA for car insurance, around $1000 a year. There are a lot of bad drivers in TV especially navigating the roundabouts. I almost got hit in a roundabout by one of commercial workers here, making the 1st right from the inside lane. I called the company and told them what the driver did.
Closed Thread

Tags
auto, insurance, folks, contemplating, move

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.