Avid motorcyclist

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Default Avid motorcyclist

Renting a home in the Villages next week, thinking of trailering my motorcycle down to ride around the area. My concern is, from my limited experience, the Villages and surrounding area, are not really good riding areas due to heavy traffic and inattentive drivers. Looking for opinions from local riders. Tks
Old 01-08-2023, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
Renting a home in the Villages next week, thinking of trailering my motorcycle down to ride around the area. My concern is, from my limited experience, the Villages and surrounding area, are not really good riding areas due to heavy traffic and inattentive drivers. Looking for opinions from local riders. Tks
I think you have hit the nail on the head.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

I have never driven or ridden on a motorcycle, but I have had 3 close calls while driving a car where in every case the motorcycle disappeared from view. I try very hard to be extra careful when there is one around. I agree with your assessment of the situation, and as I recall there were several reports of serious injuries or death over the last 2 to 3 months. If you decide to ride, be very careful of oncoming traffic turning left if front of you, this seems to be the leading cause of accidents.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:31 AM
Send a message via ICQ to willis100 Send a message via AIM to willis100 Send a message via Yahoo to willis100 Send a message via Skype™ to willis100

///

Last edited by willis100; 01-08-2023 at 11:07 AM. Reason: This is not my profile...
Old 01-08-2023, 09:36 AM

I'm a rider ( Gold wing ), there are plenty of roads away from TV that are good country roads. I have found that riding here is NOT like up north (Pa. ) roads are flat & straight (boring ) but the scenery is great. I'm a snowbird my bike won't be back next season.
There are bike groups here maybe 3. Have been with the GW group great rides & people.
If you're only going to be here for a week leave the bike at home. There are plenty of other things to do. You can learn the aera then bring the bike later for a longer stay.
Enjoy your visit. Get in touch if you think I could help more.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Don't even think about it, leave your bike at home.

I don't know where you're coming from, but consider that the average age in FL & The Villages, is probably much higher. You have a zillion old people driving around, playing with their Cell Phones. It's not you, it's the cage drivers. I brought my Harley to FL for one season and never again.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

nearby Ocala Forest is a beautiful ride. in regards to safety, i always try to get behind the cyclist so i can keep my eyes on you, & allow plenty of space. if you're out of sight, it could be trouble like VT said
Old 01-08-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

And now we have non-riders chiming in with their expertise. Thousands of motorcycles in The Villages and a lot of good roads and areas to explore
Old 01-08-2023, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
You can take country roads like 475 N , 42 E, 19 N, 314 West, 315 N, 315C, 315 South all the way to 40 then 314A (not 314) South to 25 and then back to 42 W to the Villages. These roads will take you up into Ocala National Forest. You will be riding in less populated areas. You will go through small towns like Salt Spring, Fort McCoy, Orange Springs, Interlachen, and Grandin. Just check the roads and put a nice country route together. I often take a side trip off 19 to Alexander Springs then back to 19N. I love the country up there. I take that run at least three times a month. My ride out of the Villages is around 250 miles round trip. You can also ride out to the Green Swamp (South) or Cedar Key. (West.) Cedar Key is a super place. Old Florida. Good restaurants. You have to be careful around population centers down here, but that is nothing new. Weather is perfect for motorcycling!
Old 01-08-2023, 10:46 AM

There are deed restrictions about where trailers can be parked, and for how long. Each district is slightly different. You may need to put the trailer in the garage.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
I was an avid motorcyclist (Minnesota and upper Midwest) before moving here. I had my bike shipped here and rode it for about a month before selling it. I had more close calls in one month of riding here than I had in probably five years before the move.

The Villages is primarily composed of older adults who (even though there seems to be a certain amount of denial) suffer the inevitable deterioration that comes with age. Narrowing peripheral vision, lessening depth perception, lapses in judgment, incorrectly judging the speed of other vehicles, and just not seeing things in or near the roadway that may present a hazard seem to be common here. Couple that with a perceived attitude on the part of too many that laws apply to other people but not so much to them, and motorcycling in and near The Villages constituted a risk that I was just not going to take, regardless of how much I love riding.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
And now we have non-riders chiming in with their expertise. Thousands of motorcycles in The Villages and a lot of good roads and areas to explore
Like most threads the “experts” chime in with their “I thinks”.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Default Always Alert

I am an avid "two wheel nut." I try to get 80-90 miles on my road bike a week and regularly ride my 21 HD SG to work and afternoon rides through central Florida with the wife. I used a bike and motorcycle in Pa for thirty years. I have seen terrible drivers (including golf cart drivers in Florida) in both states. I do think Florida wins out due the distracted drivers, substance impaired drivers and diminishing mental status with decreasing sensory acuity. I practice my motorcycle maneuvers, such as panic stop and tight space turning, regularly. So I think you can ride here in Florida if you are skilled and very defensive. It is a beautiful state to ride especially here in central Florida with each coast just a one to two hour ride away. As we know, no where is safe as the Bruce Rossmeyer death story will testify. Welcome to Florida.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Your right about non-riders, with many negative opinions, but I was a rider.
I brought my Goldwing down from Wisconsin 7 years ago when we move here full time.
Cycle riding gave me a high every time I rode, but people need to accept the consequences of what can happen at our age.

Well here's my thoughts:
Find a different pass time down here, seriously.
Traffic in Florida is nuts even in a car/truck

You don't heal very well at age 60, 70, or 80 after sliding across the blacktop.
Also, I didn't want my family feeding me through a straw for the rest of my life.

Your Life, Your Choice
Old 01-08-2023, 12:11 PM

Swap out the factory horn with a super loud one. My factory one didn't get anyones attention.
Closed Thread

Tags
area, villages, good, riding, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.