Avid motorcyclist

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2023, 06:22 AM

Trailer it to the country then unload and ride I live in East Tennessee in summer and ride VA, NC, KY and TN! I brought it down to Florida one season and rode twice never to bring back. Straight flat roads aren’t my thing… Enjoy and stay safe!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 01-09-2023, 06:52 AM
Veteran member

After riding a Goldwing for 15 years and 160,000 miles, I decided to sell my bike up north and enjoy the great weather on a golf cart.
Old 01-09-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
Renting a home in the Villages next week, thinking of trailering my motorcycle down to ride around the area. My concern is, from my limited experience, the Villages and surrounding area, are not really good riding areas due to heavy traffic and inattentive drivers. Looking for opinions from local riders. Tks
A lot depends on how passionate you are about riding, how long you are down here, and what other interests you have. There are a lot of things to do down here and if this is your first time here my initial thought would be to leave the bike at home. Distracted driving is a problem everywhere and I don't find Florida to be much worse in this regard. I am an avid motorcyclist and vigilant in paying attention no matter where I ride and I have found plenty of decent areas to ride nearby. I don't ride as much here as I do up north mainly due to so many other things to do in The Villages.

Be careful in the roundabouts, while riding or driving, as far too many folks have no concept on how to correctly navigate them. The number of folks turning left from the right lane is staggering.

Last edited by BBmac; 01-09-2023 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:06 AM

All that stuff you hear about "Florida Man" goes double for "Florida Driver".
Old 01-09-2023, 07:08 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

NOT A PLACE FOR A BIKE! I sold my motorcycle after too many close calls… I still hold my motorcycle classification but The Villages and surrounding area is not the place for a motorcycle..
Old 01-09-2023, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Husband sold FAT boy after two close calls in round-abouts
Why would your hubby sell his ice cream sandwich after two close call’s. Just kidding, I get it. Very smart man.

The way I see it is a person has to know their limitations and look at their surroundings. Have a motorcycle in The Villages might not be the best idea for may lifelong otherwise very successful riders.
Hold on to your good memories of riding and dream another dream.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:11 AM
Default Ride all the time

Quote:
Renting a home in the Villages next week, thinking of trailering my motorcycle down to ride around the area. My concern is, from my limited experience, the Villages and surrounding area, are not really good riding areas due to heavy traffic and inattentive drivers. Looking for opinions from local riders. Tks
I have ridden bikes since 2005 all around The Villages area, lots of flat straight rides, but this time of year is perfect weather. Last year my wife and I did 6700 miles and 25 states on our 2 bikes, we had more concerns all around the country with bad drivers than in the Villages. We ride defensively and don’t try to jump around people in traffic. Plenty of forest outside The Villages easy to get to and enjoy.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I don’t ride a motorcycle, but I’ve rented in the Villages many times for short stays.I don’t think it’s a good place for a motorcycle, as they can be loud and it might be a distraction to neighbors. But I’d ask the owner of the house you’re renting for his/her thoughts first.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:49 AM
Default Yes do this.

Quote:
There are many roads that are perfect for riding in Florida. I might recomend a club that I find enjoyable, "The Southern Cruisers"
Old 01-09-2023, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

What do you "think" so far ?

Yeas ?
Nays ?

I'm no "expert" but the volume of "Nays" appears to be in a clear majority. Shall we call for a recorded vote ?
Old 01-09-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I was an avid motorcyclist (Minnesota and upper Midwest) before moving here. I had my bike shipped here and rode it for about a month before selling it. I had more close calls in one month of riding here than I had in probably five years before the move.

The Villages is primarily composed of older adults who (even though there seems to be a certain amount of denial) suffer the inevitable deterioration that comes with age. Narrowing peripheral vision, lessening depth perception, lapses in judgment, incorrectly judging the speed of other vehicles, and just not seeing things in or near the roadway that may present a hazard seem to be common here. Couple that with a perceived attitude on the part of too many that laws apply to other people but not so much to them, and motorcycling in and near The Villages constituted a risk that I was just not going to take, regardless of how much I love riding.
During this time of year more so than others, I will only ride off campus due to so many inattentive drivers rushing around. As you're already aware as a motorcycle rider, I always have my head of a swivel more so here than any other places I've ridden. I relocated from NoCal where the foothill rides were spectacular but I have found many beautiful scenic routes here. Just be damn careful while riding on property.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:59 AM
Default Best ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4vt View Post
Trailer it to the country then unload and ride I live in East Tennessee in summer and ride VA, NC, KY and TN! I brought it down to Florida one season and rode twice never to bring back. Straight flat roads aren’t my thing… Enjoy and stay safe!
I agree, we're from southern IN, Louisville KY area. The best riding ever was E Tenn, Va, W Va, E KY, NC., beautiful country, exciting rides. I love to drag the floorboards thru the Dragon & run the high banks of 421 the Snake!
As for riding here, mine generally sits in the garage! No one to ride & you have to be so defensive, I choose to not be the smartest rider out there, but I don't blame anyone who wears a helmet or long pants whatever floats your boat! I keep saying I'm going to sell it because of all the idio,..., Inattentive old people around here, (me included), but then I take a little ride ..., come home and put it back in the garage! Whatever you decide, be safe & Enjoy!!
Old 01-09-2023, 08:04 AM
Default Many scenic roads around the Villages

If your goal is to ride scenic curvy and hilly roads, there are plenty around here.

As mentioned the Ocala Forest area, 44 to DeLand, Ormand Loop, areas between here and Weeki Wachee and especially around Clermont which has extremely hilly roads.

Just avoid high traffic roads and stay alert and enjoy the ride!!!
Old 01-09-2023, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We have zero issues around here on either bike. The issue you'll be dealing with is the learning curve - knowing where to go etc. There is a ton of great riding Which roads is the key to everything. Fairly easy. I'd bring it.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
There are lots of back country roads around Ocala with horse farms. Also there is Ocala National Forest. Have Fun.
Closed Thread

Tags
area, villages, good, riding, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.