Mail?

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Default Mail?

Tried to mail a letter when we were there in March and couldn't find a post office or mailbox anywhere! Where does one go to mail a letter or package? ???
Old 05-22-2008, 03:44 AM
Default Re: Mail?

Yeah, good luck with that!!!

It's one of the few downsides of living in TV. Love this place! But it's hard to find the PO in the first place, then it's impossible to park there, and hazardous to back out of your spot, if you're lucky enough to find one. They didn't build a drive-up mail drop! Why?? I can't imagine! Sorry I needed to vent!

Anyway the PO I use in off 441/27 across from Spanish Springs area. There may be one South of 466, but I haven't found it. Best of luck!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Veteran member

Gshephard,
Every rec center in every neighborhood has a mailbox for residents to receive their mail and a drop for you to mail letters. If you want to mail a package you can go to the post office like above or one just off Rt. 301 in Oxford, one block north of 466. At the ATM machines we can even get stamps if you have an account at Citizens.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Sage

Good to know, thanks Borjo.

This is exactly what i like about TOTV for us wannabes. One response says it is almost impossible to mail things out and another says that it is simple (at least for normal mail). Although when we move I imagine that we'll send out more care packages back home for the little ones (if my kids ever get around to having any)!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Here's something that's worked well for me. I'll estimate (or use my kitchen scale) for packages, larger envelopes; print the stamp directly from USPS.gov; take it to my mailbox area when the people are sorting the mail and hand it to them. Works great even if you need to insure it. Regular mail can be dropped in the mailbox (a slot only) in your mailbox area. Piece of cake!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Sage

Oops, forgot to mention there's now a temporary post office at SweetBay. Not sure of the hours, but they had for tax day and I read in the Sun that it would be continued there a few days/hours a week, just can't remember the hours.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Just came back from Sweetbay and they were there today.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Default Re: Mail? THANK U ALL!

This is such a great forum and I thank you all for your answers. One more question checked off my list. Enjoy your beautiful Florida day. It's absolutely freezing here this week in Massachusetts. Every day has been in th 40's cloudy with rain off an on. (and to think it's almost June) Burrr..it's certainly not the beautiful, warm March I experienced when I was there in TV! I can't wait to return. I plan to find out just how hot it actually is in TV in August. See you then!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 PM

The Villages Pack 'n Ship can handle any of your postal needs.
They have 3 locations, all accessible by golf cart.

Spanish Springs in La Plaza Grande shopping center
Southern Trace shopping center
and the new shopping center new Colony Cottage
Old 05-25-2008, 07:38 PM

There is also a post office in Fruitland Park, on 466A. Go past Publix on 466A and the PO is on the left just before you get to the Redlight at CR 25. It is about 2 miles. Not golf cart accessibe, but friendly service. I use it all the time as it is smaller and not usually packed with people. It is as close to those of us in Duval and Hadley areas as the Oxford (if not closer) one and for me is right on the way to the Wal-Mart in Fruitland park/Leesburg which is closser thatn the others.

I tried to use the Villages pack and ship and htey seemed to be very expesive. Because they charge a surcharge, whichis how they make theri money, my package was going to be $12 at Pac and ship and I mailed it 2nd day priority at the post office for under 5. This has happened to me on 2 or 3 occasions before I just started using the PO all the time.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

There is a mobile post office in the Sweetbay Grocery Parking Lot---at Lake Sumter Landing--I believe it is there on Tuesdays and Thursdays Noon to 3:00----I have used it a few times.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 PM

Sorry, clarify please -- So are you saying there is not a mailbox at each residence or a gang box on each street to send and receive mail?
Old 05-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Every "Village" or neighborhood has a postal station and your mail is delivered there. There is also a drop for outgoing mail.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

golfpro,

That's correct. Mail boxes are at Neighborhood Centers, along with the pool.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Sage

Not all mailboxes are at centers or by pools. Some are simply mailbox centers. But there usually is a mailbox relatively close to where you live, all within walking distance (if you consider 2 miles or less walking distance).

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.