Bank to open Checking Account

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2021, 05:23 PM
Default Bank to open Checking Account

We bought a house, but we will not be able to move in for a few months. We would like to open a checking account to buy large items, like a used car. Are there banks that you would recommend (or not recommend) for this purpose? Can we just use our out-of-state checking account in Florida (part time residence) or do we have to open a checking account in Florida? We will be in Florida several months out of the year.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

You can use your out of state checking account. And, if the bank has branches in Florida, you don't even need a new bank. But, if not, I think Citizens First is probably the most convenient bank in The Villages because it has the most branches in the area and it even has some ATM machines at the local postal stations where you will be picking up your mail. Note that Citizens First is a local bank, not to be confused with Citizens Bank, which is a national bank.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
A couple of years before we moved from Maryland we opened an account with Sun Trust since we had a branch very close and they are all over Florida. There's one on bank row off 466, one in Wildwood on 301, a drive-thru only on 441 in Lady Lake and a one in Lake Deaton Plaza on 44 near the new areas. We had our direct deposits and everything go there, so we never had an interruption in our income.

We still use Sun Trust after ten years here, they just merged with BB&T and will be changing their name to Truist. Soon we'll be able to use the BB&T at Colony Plaza on 466A.

The only other option I would recommend is the developer's own bank, Citizens Bank. They have several branches within TV, and ATMs at many of the mail stops. The problem is outside TV they have very little, I believe just one branch in Leesburg. When you have closing on your home and if it's with TV, they'll give you a Citizens account and check book, at least they use to.

Sun Trust at Lake Deaton Plaza on 44 near the new golf cart bridge

The Villages Florida
I think you mean Citizens First Bank, not Citizens Bank. Two different banks.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

We moved here just over a year ago and figured we would find a local bank.

Turns out we get a better deal with our old bank which is in Va so still with them for the bulk of our banking needs. Now that you can make deposits remotely and use a CC for everything little need for a local bank.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:40 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I retained my 30+ year old BofA account originated in CA which I can use all over the country. My Schwab account provides me with an ATM card I can use free anywhere, including at the convenient Citizens First ATMs peppered all over The Villages. Works for me.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-16-2021, 06:54 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

We opened an account at citizens first just in case we received a check we would have a place to cash it
Old 03-16-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We use Fudpucker Savings and Loan. Freddie is the only employee in the branch.

Seriously we like Chase and don't like Bank Of America after the stunt they pulled at the beginning of Covid. It's not that they closed their branches it's that they didn't communicate anything, Zero.

Citizens were doing just fine until we had an issue on the weekend. Outta luck till Monday. Back to Chase. There is always someone to speak to at Chase. It may not be English on the first attempt but your not alone if something comes up.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:33 PM

We use a local New England bank for the bulk of our needs but also have a Bank of America account that we established back home. With online banking and the ability to deposit checks on line there is no need for a local Florida bank. It works for us others may have different preferences.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:47 PM
Default Can you use an Out-of State check to buy a used car?

We do put most things on a credit card, but I was thinking that we would need a check to buy a used car. Can you use an out-of-state check to buy a used car in Florida?
Old 03-16-2021, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We use Fudpucker Savings and Loan. Freddie is the only employee in the branch.

Seriously we like Chase and don't like Bank Of America after the stunt they pulled at the beginning of Covid. It's not that they closed their branches it's that they didn't communicate anything, Zero.

Citizens were doing just fine until we had an issue on the weekend. Outta luck till Monday. Back to Chase. There is always someone to speak to at Chase. It may not be English on the first attempt but your not alone if something comes up.
Freddie is my third cousin three times removed but is a wonderful fellow even if he has a record in three states.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-01-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:11 AM

It’s important to have a checking account based in Florida, which could be a national bank chain because your former state of residency could use that against you to force you to pay their state income tax. Some states, like Minnesota, have residency “intention” factors”, which they use to determine your residency.

This is especially important if you’re a snowbird. Even if you are not present in the income taxing state for more than six months, they might still be able to force you to continue to pay the state income taxes, if you violate the residency “intention” factors, such as the location of your most active checking account, where your vehicle is registered, insured, and stored, gym club and church memberships, and other things. They might also have the “right” to know what you told your insurance company. They also can get your cellphone location records.

The most aggressive states for retaining their taxes are New York. New Jersey, and California. It’s important to protect yourself from an unpleasant surprise of having your former taxing state force you to pay their taxes.

Before we had our new Florida checks printed, we used our old Minnesota checks for a large item, a whole house electric generator, and smaller things like a chlorine to saltwater pool conversion. But we changed our address at our national bank and had new checks printed with our Florida address.

So, as some others said, it depends on whose accepting the check. Be careful about fraud and theft of checks, especially in Florida. Checks have much more risk attached to them than credit cards. It’s dangerous to carry around blank checks in your wallet!
Old 03-17-2021, 05:26 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

We have a villa in Hadley but live mainly in the U.K. We use Chase Bank & find them particularly helpful & ‘user friendly’ internationally. We also use their Chase Visa Freedom credit card for purchases, great cash back scheme.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
We bought a house, but we will not be able to move in for a few months. We would like to open a checking account to buy large items, like a used car. Are there banks that you would recommend (or not recommend) for this purpose? Can we just use our out-of-state checking account in Florida (part time residence) or do we have to open a checking account in Florida? We will be in Florida several months out of the year.
Go anywhere but Citizens!!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
checking, account, open, florida, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.