Bank to open Checking Account

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2021, 06:06 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

You can use your out-of-state account.
Check-out processing might be slow sometimes.
Change your address on your checks........it might be worth the cost.

All banks are good in The Villages.
Over the last 10 years, I have seen good & bad reviews on every bank & credit union.

Good Luck
Old 03-17-2021, 06:31 AM
Default Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
We bought a house, but we will not be able to move in for a few months. We would like to open a checking account to buy large items, like a used car. Are there banks that you would recommend (or not recommend) for this purpose? Can we just use our out-of-state checking account in Florida (part time residence) or do we have to open a checking account in Florida? We will be in Florida several months out of the year.
Wells Fargo is everywhere
Old 03-17-2021, 06:37 AM

We just moved down and open with Citizens First. Their service caused us to open at 2 other banks hoping that one would be good. Both turned out to be very good. Citizen First will be the FIRST bank that we will discontinue. Maybe I was just used to the good service we had before moving here.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

you can use your out of state checks...it just takes longer to clear
Old 03-17-2021, 06:44 AM
Veteran member

Totally disagree that Citizens First Bank is not great. We have been with them for 13 years and have never had a problem. Many branches to pick from and they were one of the few banks that were open (inside) during the pandemic. We also use one of the local credit unions because I still have an account in a NY Credit Union and I can transfer money back and forth with no charge.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:46 AM

Quote:
We do put most things on a credit card, but I was thinking that we would need a check to buy a used car. Can you use an out-of-state check to buy a used car in Florida?
Any bank, not a problem
Old 03-17-2021, 06:54 AM
Default Just use a wire transfer as payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
That would be totally up to the dealer. If you have a trade, they might accept it. A cash only sale, probably not. Look on autotrader.com to find a car you might want, then call the dealer and ask for the finance manager and ask, what forms of payment will they accept.

They might have you bring in a certified bank check or financing the car might be easier, and then just pay it off the first installment. I did that on a car a couple of years ago. I had large sum of money coming in, but I wanted to look and maybe buy a car now. We did buy the car and financed it, so I didn't care what the arrangements were, as long as there was no early payoff penalty. When payment was due, I paid it off, but I had gotten the car right away.
Easiest way is to use a wire transfer from your bank to pay for the vehicle, that way the money goes straight into the Dealers Bank and there are no questions!!!! Or use a credit card to pay for it, I did once, the dealer almost had a conniption fit over it!!!!!
Old 03-17-2021, 06:56 AM

National bank with local branches. Able to deposit checks which exceed limits for remote deposit, cashiers checks, wire transfers, safe deposit boxes, and usually 24/7 customer service. Plus one-on-one assistance with account issues.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

If you have a Chase bank account you will be OK.
If you go to Citizens First, and want to open a checking or savings account and give them $5,000 cash, they will want to know (need proof) where you got it from. Opening a bank account with them is a PITA.
Chase is good anywhere, and their ATM (indoors) is open 24/7.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Totally disagree that Citizens First Bank is not great. We have been with them for 13 years and have never had a problem. Many branches to pick from and they were one of the few banks that were open (inside) during the pandemic. We also use one of the local credit unions because I still have an account in a NY Credit Union and I can transfer money back and forth with no charge.
I agree.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
We bought a house, but we will not be able to move in for a few months. We would like to open a checking account to buy large items, like a used car. Are there banks that you would recommend (or not recommend) for this purpose? Can we just use our out-of-state checking account in Florida (part time residence) or do we have to open a checking account in Florida? We will be in Florida several months out of the year.
Charge card is easier and faster
Old 03-17-2021, 07:55 AM

Do a nation wide bank like Chase. We had no problem.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
If you have a Chase bank account you will be OK.
If you go to Citizens First, and want to open a checking or savings account and give them $5,000 cash, they will want to know (need proof) where you got it from. Opening a bank account with them is a PITA.
Chase is good anywhere, and their ATM (indoors) is open 24/7.
It's called KYC, Know Your Customer. Every federally insured bank has to collect that information for new customers.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:59 AM

We moved to TV a few months ago. We continue to use our small community bank back in Ma. even when we moved to Me. All our income is directly deposited there. Do all our bill pay online with them, even for bills in Fl. Been with them for 50 years, the personal attention is the best. I can even deposit a check we receive here over our I-phone and have it in our account the next day. We really use cash for anything. but when we need it we use the ATM. It just bothers me to take my money out, and be charged a fee. But, I think they have feels ATM accounts now.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:00 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
It's called KYC, Know Your Customer. Every federally insured bank has to collect that information for new customers.
Nope.
The reporting requirement is at $10,000.

Tags
checking, account, open, florida, recommend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.