Beat the Heat

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Beat the Heat

OK all you Villagers....We can't wait until we can move to The Villages, but when we mention it to our friend and family all they can say is that we will be miserable with it sooo hot for sooo many months. So I'd be interested to know how you beat the heat. I mean other than the pool of course. What do you participate in? Do some of you Siesta in the heat of the day so you can party all night? Do you still golf and play pickleball in the afternoon? Do you hang out the Rec ctrs? You all are so active I'd love to know. So let me hear it.....
Old 07-31-2009, 01:44 PM

We usually try and do the outside physical stuff early (pickleball at 7:00am), golf during the morning or late in the day after the cooling afternoon showers. Go to the pool in the heat of the afternoon. Shoot pool or play bingo,bunco, etc at the rec center. Get a massage at the wellness center. Stay at home in the A/C.

Yes summer is long, but you do get used to it . That is why we have A/C.

Your friends are probably just jealous

jeffy
Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM

Before we moved here, we tracked the weather through the Weather Bug for the entire summer - comparing it to the Harrisburg, PA weather. There were 5 days that were hotter and more humid here than where we were in PA! I don't find the heat lasts longer here, just the warmer days. When the temps go to the 50's & 60's "up north" in late September and October, they are still in the mid 70's here. As I told my friends who razzed me about the heat...when it is 90 degrees in PA, you are probably sitting in your air conditioned office - when it is 90 degrees in TV, I'll be sitting in the pool or in an air conditioned building having a cool drink! It doesn't matter where you live. When the temps go above 90 you don't do your yard work or play a round of golf in the afternoon! I'd much rather have 2 months of hot weather over 4 months of snow, ice and freezing temperatures!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 PM

Not any hotter or humid then where I came from in Virginia. We generally have a shower and late afternoon breezes here. During the heat of mid day you find other things to do such as pool, movies, shop or even a nap possibly.
We heard the same thing when we came down, and I really think people really think this or they are jealous. Believe me it is a great life, don't let anything stop you.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:58 PM

My husband and I still golf in the afternoon and have several friends that do the same. Yes it is hot but we keep hydrated and look forward to our midday lunch/dinner at one of the restaurants. So many people don't golf in the afternoon that we can usually just show up at one of the executive courses and play without making prior reservations. Enjoy the summers!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Gold member

Well I moved from Michigan to Tenn and then to Arkansas. The summers here are about the same as TV, hot and humid. I love the heat and don't miss having to wear so many winter clothes and having the furnace on so much. Here you do things when it is cooler out and of course you always have air conditioning. We sit out on our screened porch that has a ceiling fan and some times the temperatures have been the mid 90's. You will acclimate yourself to the heat because you will be having so much fun too.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
We usually try and do the outside physical stuff early (pickleball at 7:00am), golf during the morning or late in the day after the cooling afternoon showers. Go to the pool in the heat of the afternoon. Shoot pool or play bingo,bunco, etc at the rec center. Get a massage at the wellness center. Stay at home in the A/C.

Yes summer is long, but you do get used to it . That is why we have A/C.

Your friends are probably just jealous

jeffy
I personally, would rather play my golf in the afternoon. Yes, it is a few degrees warmer, but at least the perspiration evaporates off you. Playing in the morning, the moisture is getting sucked up from the ground all around you, and it is like a sauna. I always have to take a change of shirts for morning play.And, having moved here after spending almost 30 years in Boca Raton, in south florida, after the cooling afternoon showers?!?!? Yes, maybe for five minutes, but as soon as the sun returns, it feels just like the mornings I was talking about. Now, evenings is usually nice, and can stay on the course til 8:15 or 8:30. The trick in summer is, to move a bit slower, drink plenty of water, and think in your mind, would I rather be in this, now, or suffer thru another 15 degree winter?? For me, the choice is easy. Anyway, it's hot almost everywhere in summer. You ever been in downtown NYC, with the heat coming off the sidewalks?? Give me Florida summers anytime!

Last edited by RCT; 07-31-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

You ever been in downtown NYC, with the heat coming off the sidewalks?? Give me Florida summers anytime!

Not this summer Ron, we haven't reached 90 yet.....I was uptown NYC last week with a jacket on and of coursde my umbrella, which has replaced Peter at my side..........see you next week....YIPPEE!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Platinum member

I work out at the fitness center everyday (Colony Cottage). Give me the AC! Even though I don't like the heat, I love summers here and look forward to them. There is no line at the restaurants. Less golf cart traffic. Just plain less crowded. It is a great time to live in The Villages.
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.