Best neighborhood to live in ?

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Default Best neighborhood to live in ?

I'm just trying to get some ideas, as I know every neighborhood has alot going for it.
There are too many resale homes that fit in our price range, I would just like to narrow down some. And what is the difference between a villa and a ranch home, some are the same price.
We are looking for resale, 2 or 3 Bdr, 2 bath, with some upgrades, like large garden tub or granite countertops.
Which areas are the newest?
I am taking notes re: freight trains, homes bordering other cities, other things to avoid.

What makes your neighborhood so delightful???

Thanks again. TOTV is the friendliest forum!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum member

I can't speak of the other towns (village's) but I live in Buttonwood. I can hear the freight train in the far distance but the sound is faint and not bothersome. Buttonwood is a little far to Sumter Landing Square (5.3 miles) but from what I hear, the new town Brownville (18 more months for completion) will be a little closer. I'm sure every village has their peaks and valleys but I am very happy with my location. PS: The area of Buttonwood I am in is surrounded by golf courses and many streets are cul-da-sacs which keeps the regular traffic away.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I don't think there is a "best" neighborhood. They each have their pluses. If you buy north of 466, the landscaping is more mature but the neighborhoods are more established and, thus, a little harder (not much but a little) to feel part of, at least at first. If you buy in Lake County, no bond. If you buy in the 466/Buena Vista area, you're really close to grocery stores, etc., which can be a big plus when you're ill. If you go further south, especially to Pennecamp, Buttonwood, Tamarind Grove, they're all new homes with people who are younger and more likely to want to do things with their neighbors, at least for the first year or two.

Ranch homes are small designers (easiest way to describe them) -- they usually have "kissing" lanais. The villas are either courtyard or patio. If courtyard, the streets are usually narrower and every house has a private yard and private lanai. Patio villas are usually smaller and more of a "shotgun" effect. The lanais are all in the front.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is find the house that meets your criteria and go from there. It really is hard to go wrong in TV.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM

I live across the street from Tom. Like he says trains don't bother me. It takes me 12 minutes to get to LSL on my golf cart. When Brownwood is completed in a couple years we will be kind of in the middle of the 2 town squares. We have a great area our cul-de-sac has one unsold home...great neighbors...we do a lot together. Yesterday we had a cul-de-sac party for the Buttonwood Islanders and had about 60 people show up to meet and greet all the people in this area of Buttonwood.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Sage

california -

If you're not already with the various types of homes and floorplans, check this link: http://www.thevillages.com/homes/gallery/index.asp

Bill
Old 01-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
I live across the street from Tom. Like he says trains don't bother me. It takes me 12 minutes to get to LSL on my golf cart. When Brownwood is completed in a couple years we will be kind of in the middle of the 2 town squares. We have a great area our cul-de-sac has one unsold home...great neighbors...we do a lot together. Yesterday we had a cul-de-sac party for the Buttonwood Islanders and had about 60 people show up to meet and greet all the people in this area of Buttonwood.
I heard mention of The Buttonwood Islanders being organized. Wasn't sure if the master plan worked. Glad it did. I guess all the houses in lot # 164 are included, which would include Abbey and Gasperella?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Gold member

In a patio or courtyard villa you will not find a garden tub. All that I have seen have a shower in the master bathroom and a regular tub in the spare bathroom. I have a courtyard and they come standard with the above, no room for a garden tub.

The courtyard villas give you the option of putting in gravel and doing away with most of the yardwork, because are enclosed with concrete walls.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 PM

And I got to meet Russ. We had name tags and I saw Russ - Abbey Way - so I had to say are you Russ from TOTV...
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
And I got to meet Russ. We had name tags and I saw Russ - Abbey Way - so I had to say are you Russ from TOTV...
Russ is a great guy. I was hoping to hook up with him but by the time I get there, he will be back in Ma. Did he meet Ellen? Both are registered nurses. Sorry I missed the party. How about Dan on Gasperilla? Anothe one I had intentions of meeting.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

If you're seeking economical planning, your best buy would be a 2BR/2BA patio villa resale North of Rte 466. These homes cost less to maintain as the lots are quite smaller than the ranch homes. Look for a home that does not closely backup to another home, if possible, for obvious reasons.

Consider our village of Polo Ridge where we purchased a resale with so many more extras than a new home where you pay more for extra options. It's presently in the middle of this great expanse and the access to Rte 466 (the metropolis) is very handy to golf-cart use, as well as real nice friendly folks like everywhere else here.

Good luck, barb1191

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM

I live in Santiago which is a couple of miles from SS and a little further to LSL. I like not backing up to a major roadway. We are off Enrique so we don't get any traffic but still close to get out to El Camino. The house sits behind a cul de sac so I don't have a "kissing" lanai and have a little more space off the back of the house. The convenience to connecting roads and extra space off the cul de sac were great assets. We have wonderful neighbors but that is something I think you will find anywhere in TV.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Russ is a great guy. I was hoping to hook up with him but by the time I get there, he will be back in Ma. Did he meet Ellen? Both are registered nurses. Sorry I missed the party. How about Dan on Gasperilla? Anothe one I had intentions of meeting.
It sounds like we missed a great time, Tom. It would have been a great opportunity to meet our neighbors. We'll have to make sure to make the next one!

I was planning on leaving today, but I had a change of plans and I'm now leaving early Tuesday AM. This will, I hope, put me in TV Wednesday. There is a storm going up the east coast, so I don't know what types of delays I may hit.

The only urgency I had for getting to TV early Wednesday was to accept delivery of our mattress set ( our first piece of furniture ). Russ has kindly agreed to accept delivery if I'm not there. My hope is that won't be necessary because I have requested delivery in the PM.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Sage

Yes Tom we got to meet some of our new neighbors. We couldn't stay long since we needed to get a mattress etc. for that first night but it was a good start.

Dan - Just let me know if you get stuck in that weather. Don't rush, I'll be here if you need me.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Veteran member
Default nice villas

There are several very nice villa neighborhoods I have driven through in my golf cart. I like Villas Vidalia (just inside the Belle Air gate on Talley Ridge Drive) and Villas Berea (at the end of Archer Drive from Southern Trace).

I picked a Designer home (resale) called a Lantana model. It offered everything we wanted - including a golf course view.

All I mentioned are North of 466 but are about only 15-20 minutes by golf cart to either Spanish Springs or Lake Sumter Landing. The Wedgewood shopping center is 10 minutes and has the Publix grocery store. A couple of minutes further is Bonefish Grill, Golden Corral (yuck), Bob Evans, and Wal-Mart.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by california dreamer View Post
I'm just trying to get some ideas, as I know every neighborhood has alot going for it.
There are too many resale homes that fit in our price range, I would just like to narrow down some. And what is the difference between a villa and a ranch home, some are the same price.
We are looking for resale, 2 or 3 Bdr, 2 bath, with some upgrades, like large garden tub or granite countertops.
Which areas are the newest?
I am taking notes re: freight trains, homes bordering other cities, other things to avoid.

What makes your neighborhood so delightful???

Thanks again. TOTV is the friendliest forum!!
Hi California,
The villas are attached and sit on a small lot with a privacy wall. The ranches are stand-alone homes.

Things I love about my Village (Springdale) are the dog park, fitness trail, fitness center at Mulberry, proximity to publix and my favorite golf courses, mature landscaping and of course, my wonderful neighbors.

There are things to love about all of the Villages. Find a home you love in your price range and you will not go wrong!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.