Best time to buy

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Default Best time to buy

We're coming down from NY for the month of April. We've done week long visits in the past but are now ready to buy. Is there a best time to buy? Do most people list their pre owned homes in the winter when there are more people here? Just hoping there will be plenty to pick from in April!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Not really a best time. Maybe a time when there is more inventory if your looking for re-sale. If any time might be better then others, April through July is probably a little better then others.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Not really a best time. Maybe a time when there is more inventory if your looking for re-sale. If any time might be better then others, April through July is probably a little better then others.

I would look on The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Retirement Hometown - New Home Sales, Home Resales, Build Your Dream Home, Brownwood Paddock Square for pre-owned homes and there should be many to choose from Can't really predict if you'll find what you are looking for right away.

Do you have a VLS and MLS agent looking for you? It is recommended that you have both to cover all the bases. You also have for sale by owner, (FSBO) type housing,

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Sage

The best time to buy..............................is when you find what you want when you feel you're ready to buy.

Bill
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks. I do have a Villages agent and will be picking a MLS. I'm on the website all the time. I think my fear is that we'll be here for a month and not find a pre-owned we want, so that's why I was wondering about best time of the year.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
The best time to buy..............................is when you find what you want when you feel you're ready to buy.

Bill
Sage advice as usual. The old, "if I can put my head on the pillow and fall asleep after this decision", is the litmus test.

Joe

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Keep in mind if you buy new there are a lot of costs such as window treatments, additional landscaping, attic stairs, etc., that are usually included in the resale homes. We bought new and have spent about $5000 on finishing things. The bond will be lower on a used home and you can negotiate the price.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Sage
Sellers may be more inclined to negotiate the price at the end of the season (April) if the house has been on the market awhile. Some websites, not The Villages, will tell you how long a house has been for sale.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the great advice. Can't wait until April!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Bought both of our houses April and October watch the web and bought over the phone when the right one came up of course you need to know what you want
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Bought both of our houses April and October watch the web and bought over the phone when the right one came up of course you need to know what you want
Jan thru March they go fast....I found one in March , I said I wanted to look at a couple more , so I did, when I decided that I wanted the first one , the very next day it was already gone...My advise is pick the village you would be content to be in, the style of home, price range, when one pops up don't wait to long....No matter where you end up , you will love it and you will be telling everyone that you live in the best village.....
Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM

We bought our house in October. We looked @ 15 houses on a Friday and nothing spured our interested. We gave it a rest for a day and that night our agent called us to say we needed to look at a house that next day. The house had just gone on the market on Sat. We look at it on Sun AM and had an offer accepted on Sun night. We had a GREAT agent. He read us like a book...he knew my taste exactly. This house had my name written all over it. It was not offered as turn-key but we made an offer to the owners for the furniture. They were moving back north and needed to get rid of everything so we ended up with furniture, household contents, tools and even the golf cart. Everything was in excellent condition! After the closing we walked in with our suitcase to find an emaculately clean house, fresh sheets folded neatly on the bed, wine on the table and liquor in the closet. What more could one ask for!!!

So as was stated above by someone else - "The best time to buy is when you find what you want when you feel you're ready to buy." AMEN to that statement!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 AM

I would suggest listing (on TOTV)the things you know you want in a house...Re-sale...bond paid...3/2...that type of thing. List what you would be open about...location, style, etc., Ask people to submit their homes (and pics)for your consideration and you can arrange visits in April. I think April is an excellent time to buy. High Rental season is at an end and houses will be available. Good Luck. email if you wish. CanalTownMary@yahoo.com

Maryland Girl
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Hi,
Did you buy through the Villages or MLS? Would you be willing to share the name of the agent?
Where in Pa are you from? We lived in the Lehigh Valley for 22 years,are now in Mexico and looking to move to the Villages.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM

yesterday !
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.