Books about The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Default Books about The Villages

I've seen a few books and newsletters about buying/living in The Villages. Has anyone bought a book by this author 'Ryan Erisman, The Villages Florida Book'? Did you find it useful or just a rehash of all the information that's already out there for free?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:23 AM

I have read excerpts from his book and it does seem to provide good information. But you could save the price of his book by reading his tidbits which are a good intro and then continue with this forum and you will see that much information in real time is contained here, in my humble opinion.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieJo View Post
I've seen a few books and newsletters about buying/living in The Villages. Has anyone bought a book by this author 'Ryan Erisman, The Villages Florida Book'? Did you find it useful or just a rehash of all the information that's already out there for free?

Thanks for any feedback.

We purchased the book by Ryan Erisman, found it helpful, and worth the money spent. Once purchased, you can get updated information sent to your email.

Leisureville we found to be dated, but light entertaining reading.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Sage

Come and stay a week on the lifestyle preview plan and talk face to face with everyone you encounter at the town squares, restaurants and golf courses. They'll tell you straight why they like it here, or not.

Most actual residents do not have an agenda for garnering hatred of the developer because he's earned massive wealth, as book writers and trolls here do.

This forum is far more useful than any book. Trolls are quickly identified here. And coming to stay IN TV on preview plan is best.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,776 Posts

This is a link to "50 things to think about before buying a home in The Villages": https://s3.amazonaws.com/TheVillages...hings-2012.pdf

I found a highly informative book tracing the history and evolution of 55 and over communities. It is "From Sun Cities to The Villages" by Judith Ann Trolander. From reading it you will see how Gary Morse learned and put into practice in The Villages various marketing and other ideas first used by Del Webb at his Sun Cities and Ross Cortese at his Leisureworlds.

"Leisureville" is a very good read because it explains in understandable terms the development and management structure of The Villages.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Sage

This video with the developer's adult children shows the focus on hospitality and making people happy that they learned as children from their grandfather and dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBpk9m6fxkw
Old 06-05-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Thanks for any feedback.
We purchased the book and I read it before we went to The Villages and purchased a home. We purchased a resale by owner. I found the book to be very informative about The Villages and Florida, things to think about coming to a new state and a different lifestyle. Also where and where not you may want to purchase a home in The Villages. Close to town square or not etc. etc. etc. hope this was helpful!!!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:

Thanks for any feedback.
Bought his book. Read TOTV, "Nuts and Bolts" section, for all you need to know about moving to TV.

This site will give all the info you need to know, so read, read, and read some more, to gather a wealth of knowledge.

Beside, this site is free!!!!

Hint: You will be better off going to Google, and ask a question than to use the search function. Google is better at finding what you need, and it will direct you to a thread on TOTV. You can just pick a section like "contractors and services", and read a variety of info.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
This is a link to "50 things to think about before buying a home in The Villages": https://s3.amazonaws.com/TheVillages...hings-2012.pdf
Wow! That is so helpful, and very comprehensive!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 06-14-2014, 09:31 PM

Currently reading 'Leisureville'. Is Mr. Midnight a real person or is this a fictional character?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBXNana View Post
We purchased the book by Ryan Erisman, found it helpful, and worth the money spent. Once purchased, you can get updated information sent to your email.

Leisureville we found to be dated, but light entertaining reading.
We had the same experiences with both books - worthwhile reading.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,415 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote:
Currently reading 'Leisureville'. Is Mr. Midnight a real person or is this a fictional character?

Andrew D. Blechman already had his 15 minutes of fame with Leisureville.
Most of the characters in his book are fictional.......................
Old 06-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,661 Times in 1,776 Posts

Ryan Erisman recognizes that "Leisureville", an entertaining read, provides some well researched facts about The Villages. Leisureville Book Review from Complete Guide to The Villages

BTW, Mr. Midnight does (or did) exist!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-15-2014, 08:41 AM

I've only read one "book", Fifty Things to Think About Before Buying a Home in the Villages. It is free, here: http://www.thevillagesfloridabook.com/50-things/

Other than that, I devour the forums here at TOTV.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM

I just finished reading Leisureville and I thought it was a good read. Though I disagree with some of his viewpoints I like the way he writes and shares stories.

Everyone will experience things differently, a lot depends on what you are looking for. His Mr. Midnight is certainly not the way many will experience or want to experience the place. He just chose to include that aspect. But there are plenty of other stories in there also.

I thought some of the tidbits were really interesting. I borrowed a copy online from a site that lends out books but even tho it is dated there is enough in there of interest that had I paid for it I would have felt I got my value from it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.