Solar in TV

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Default Solar in TV

Greets
We bought a small rancher in TV for my sister (but she bailed out and will; stay out west due to 'humidiphobia') in March, then a Premiere for ourselves in October.
We are not sure how soon we'll make the move, but with each visit we want it sooner.
We have been using solar domestic hot water up here in Maryland since 1976, and PV electric since 2005.
The meter runs backwards most of the spring, summer, and fall, and the hot water backup coil has not been turned on much at all.
We only use the AC when it's over 95 and when we stay in the TV rancher use AC set at 85 .
We've seen collectors for pools but would like to use PV's and hot water collectors, especially since Florida has huge subsidies (that will expire soon)

We are wondering why we have not seen more solar used there.
Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryandlindablack View Post
Greets
We bought a small rancher in TV for my sister (but she bailed out and will; stay out west due to 'humidiphobia') in March, then a Premiere for ourselves in October.
We are not sure how soon we'll make the move, but with each visit we want it sooner.
We have been using solar domestic hot water up here in Maryland since 1976, and PV electric since 2005.
The meter runs backwards most of the spring, summer, and fall, and the hot water backup coil has not been turned on much at all.
We only use the AC when it's over 95 and when we stay in the TV rancher use AC set at 85 .
We've seen collectors for pools but would like to use PV's and hot water collectors, especially since Florida has huge subsidies (that will expire soon)

We are wondering why we have not seen more solar used there.
Thanks.
Contact Jack's Solar. Jack Cahill will be more than happy to sell you the solar system you want.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:11 PM

thanks Boris J
wonder why we don't see more

Free electricity!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Boris J
we looked up Jack's Solar, but there was nothing 'on line' just address and phone.
We're spoiled by being able to check things on line.
I suppose we'll call.
Now we are wondering if there are ordinances about solar in TV?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Julie

Hi Larry and Linda,

Like you, we are interested in solar PV panels. We do not live in TV just yet, therefore have no personal experience with any of the companies located in Florida. Here is an article from the Orlando Sentinal from 2008 http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...s-solar-energy The article features a home in TV.

These are a couple of other links I found from companies that perform solar work in Florida: http://www.ecs-solar.com/

http://www.siliconsolar.com/

If you have a chance, please let me know if you have contact with them and how it turned out.

Our plan is to sign the purchase agreement on November 30th which will put us moving into our home sometime mid February. If all goes as planned we will have the solar panels of some sort (perhaps a mix of pv and pool?)installed sometime next year.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Hi Larry and Linda,

Like you, we are interested in solar PV panels. We do not live in TV just yet, therefore have no personal experience with any of the companies located in Florida. Here is an article from the Orlando Sentinal from 2008 http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...s-solar-energy The article features a home in TV.

These are a couple of other links I found from companies that perform solar work in Florida: http://www.ecs-solar.com/

http://www.siliconsolar.com/

If you have a chance, please let me know if you have contact with them and how it turned out.

Our plan is to sign the purchase agreement on November 30th which will put us moving into our home sometime mid February. If all goes as planned we will have the solar panels of some sort (perhaps a mix of pv and pool?)installed sometime next year.
Julie
Thanks for the follow up and your interest in solar power.
We've not moved in yet either, but plan to equip our two homes in TV and our place
'on the outside' with PV's and be on line by the June deadline for the huge tax credit.
We had a local contractor visit us last week when we visited and give us a proposal that seemed very reasonable.
We'll post his contact info when we unpack from the trip
Old 04-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Send a message via AIM to gg
Default solar power

I am interested in your talk of solar panals. What type of house do you have? What direction are the panals? How much electricity does it provide? Any information would be helpful. Would love to drive by and see the panals...this would be great to get if the government is giving the rebate on it this year.

Gerry
Old 04-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Gold member

I know Jack's installs solar for pools but I am not sure if they do what I would call a "whole house system".

There are some houses with solar setups for power but 2yrs ago when we priced a system it was something like $50k which for us was too much with the break-even about 20 - 25yrs.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I am interested in your talk of solar panals. What type of house do you have? What direction are the panals? How much electricity does it provide? Any information would be helpful. Would love to drive by and see the panals...this would be great to get if the government is giving the rebate on it this year.

Gerry
Gerry
We installed domestic hot water in Maryland in 1976 and the 150 degree loop from the roof heated the oversize tank we put in - it still has an electric element but without it we usually had enough for cloudy days and nights.

We moved in '95 to another county and installed domestic water panels, then PV about 1999, then a ground loop for the heat pump in 2006.
We installed pv on a rambler in
Wildwood in November '09 and last week on a garage south facing roof of an older( '99) premiere in TV.

If you get in before this year is half over (June) with all the rebates, credits, and sell-back your cost comes out to pretty much nothing.
We used these people:
http://floridasolarfreedom.com/

The only downside seems to be we have been wasting time watching the meters run backwards - it's almost like a video game and we're going for the lowest score.

L&L
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.