Build Process - Considering Select Minimum / Upgrade After Closing…

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2023, 09:44 AM

We got stuck with the switch to Wellborn cabinets and our design was partially held up by this. Get your own cabinets if you can. We had over 400 defects on ours. It took 4.5 hours to go over the defects with the installer and the manufacturer. We got the Wellborn Select line white-painted shaker. This line is not good and the Wellborn paint-finishing process is not good - especially the white. At least our installer Timberwood was good at fixing installation problems. Gayle of Timberwood has been one of the best subcontractors to deal with. The workers have been in my house for many hours over many days. One day there were nine people in and out of my house all day; my ring recorded 200 times in or out the front door. I have totally emptied my cabinets at least four times. They say there are fewer problems with the wood cabinets (not painted). After fourteen months, Wellborn finally sent their finish expert to my house for two entire days and sprayed all of the cabinet fronts and drawer fronts in just my kitchen. So now they look better, but now they feel like sandpaper. Wellborn says they are done, but I'm stuck with patched-up cabinets with debris in the finish.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
If you don't like the builders limited options, consider what is easier to re-do after closing.

But, some items are indeed worth having the builder complete. Some samples:

Electrical: Decora paddle switches instead of toggle. Dimmers for LED everywhere. Floor plugs in large areas. Warm white settings on any can lights (yes, adjustable).

If you don't like the light fixture choices, install the cheapest builder grade and upgrade later.

Install an extra 50 amp outlet in the garage for anybody with a future electric vehicle.

Appliances:
Opt for no appliances that are not required for C of O. Slow close toilet seats on water-saving toilets.
Aftermarket kitchen and laundry appliances often on sale (not part of taxable basis).

Window treatments and flooring:
Opt out as much as possible. Live with builder grade carpeting and get paper mini blinds. Installing blinds is a very easy DIY job after closing.

Doors:
Pocket doors if they're an option. Lever handles over round knobs.

I may be pulling together a 2-column list from all this info...
So true on pocket doors! They are must-haves, especially for closets.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:15 AM

Even if you don’t build, you just buy, you don’t get the same things they show you in a model home. Examples, outlets are far and few between, blinds are different, number of light fixtures in garage are less, the paint coating is so thin, so many little things like that they put in a model but thats not what you get when you just buy the same model. So make sure you have extra money as you will be redoing lots of projects.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:03 PM

Be very careful when deciding on having tile installed. I know someone who had their tile floor jackhammered up under warranty due to poor installation (severe lippage). It's a major messy and noisy ordeal to have the tile redone. We paid for upgraded tile in the bathrooms. The tile has manufacturing defects as well as almost every possible installation defect you can imagine - chipped tile, jagged edge cuts, misaligned tiles, uneven grout lines both in depth and width, uneven colored and patched grout with white particles, pinholes and chunks of debris in the grout, cracked grout, excess grout in most corners, raised areas and sunken areas where water pools, water pools on the bench, thresholds are loose and scratched. The builder refuses to hold the sub accountable for the work despite the fact that we have an opinion from a certified tile installer who says it is a "total fail." The showers are not installed to be completely waterproof - they do not use any waterproof membrane like Kerdi board or the equivalent. I learned a lot by having many contractors in my house to evaluate and quote replacement costs.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:27 PM
Default Pointers

Create the escrow account option if offered in the contract or finance or hold back some money until all of your defects are remediated by warranty.

Get your home inspected within the first seven days by someone perceptive to workmanship and cosmetic issues.

Make sure all warranty defects are repaired before your one year is up. I suggest a ten-month inspection by an independent inspector. The statement, "As long as you report it within the first year it will be covered" is propagated by salespeople and people who have been fortunate to have things go well for them.

Keep detailed records and get everything you can in writing.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:23 PM
Default Substitutions

Remember substitutions can be made, some without your permission or knowledge. The window supplier was changed to PGT in early 2021 and these PGT windows I got were not in the model homes at the time nor in any homes when we signed our contract. I believe they are in the new model homes as well, so they may be what you get, or maybe not. In any case, make sure you wash and examine your windows within the first seven days. I have replacements of replacements that are still defective. Over a year and a half later I still have eight windows and two sliders ordered to be replaced.

During design, we not only lost the cabinets we had selected but also lost the millwork we had selected. We were given no choice whatsoever for baseboards and door trim. This trim work has been worked on in our house at least three times and remains subpar. It currently needs more patching, sanding, and painting.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:35 PM
Default Video and Photos of Construction

We hired Don Wiley (Gold Wingnut) to take drone videos and photographs of our house while it was under construction. This was extremely worthwhile. Don sees a lot of new construction and he was able to point out some major defects that were corrected before closing on our house.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:38 PM

We call our house the most expensive brand new fixer upper we have ever bought. What you get is very basic, cheap materials. We have replaced much of it.

Last edited by Carole clausen; 04-16-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Left out a word
Old 04-16-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
I close May 15 in Newell. The rules they have are arbitrary and made to build faster - quantity, NOT quality. You pick lot, floor plan, (basic) colors, cabinets, countertops and flooring. The choices are very few and very basic grays and pastels. If they display 20 light fixtures, 6 are available. There is no flexibility - only one carpet color, one color paint, one cabinet type, landscaping choices, etc. There are NO interior wall deviations. If you dream of designing a house, go to TOTW.

As far as upgrades - we did what we could (undercabinet lighting, all available stretches) but anything customer is aftermarket...
Ahh yes. Quicker to move on to the next buyer, AND, of course save more money that they don't need.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:53 PM
Gold member

The other choice is choose somewhere else if there are so many issues. I had zero issues and it has continued that way for 25 years in this great place.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:15 PM

I was one of the final 5 fully custom builds last year before they stopped allowing fully custom. I did exactly what you said. Only thing I would recommend is to pick the floor and cheap out of omit the other items you mentioned.

When I closed I had no bathroom mirrors which allowed me to put in LED mirrors. I didn't have blinds which allowed me to go with the vendor I wanted which also gave me many more options. I didn't have hanging lights so I can go anywhere to get them. I don't have a bac splash as of yet. I also didn't have appliances at closing so I got exactly what I wanted.

I believe since my closing price was reduced that it will also lower my taxes a little.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

The villages sales people will tell you they can build a new place that’s cheaper than buying used. We bit and had them give us a bid and the quote included every cheap piece of flooring, carpet, counter tops, etc.. and it was $20k cheaper than a decked out used house. By the time we would replace all the cheap pieces with the pieces we really wanted, the new house would have been $60,000 more than the used home. I think it’s crazy to put cheap c$ap in to replace in the near future, you are paying twice for it
Old 04-17-2023, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

The advantage to buying “pre owned” is the bugs usually have been found and fixed. You know exactly how the sound travels from any possible nearby nuisance. You know whether or not your street will be through way for the neighborhood or a quiet oasis. There always seem to be surprises when you pick a location that looks good on maps, but a few year later is less optimal.

If you are going to go in and replace everything anyway, a fixer upper in an established neighborhood might be a better deal. You may find homes that have done the upgrades that you would have added.

That said, there is quite a bit of excitement of being one of the first in a neighborhood. You can help steer the neighborhood culture and establish social activities that will bring the neighbors together.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Very sad to read these posts.

Certainly kills any interest we would have to build another homes here.
If you buy a tear-down in a neighborhood that's already settled, you can use any builder you want to put up the home of your choosing, with whatever internal design you like. As long as the external design is approved by ARC it doesn't matter who you pay to do the work.

In the new sections, it matters because the property is still owned by the Developer and they get to choose who does the work. And of course - they choose the company they have part ownership in, so they can profit from it.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:36 AM

Sad, that choosing your "dream" home of retirement has turned into a mediocre "Avenue of Disappointment".
Closed Thread

Tags
choices, thinking, options, expensive, tile

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.