Building a home - questions

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Hi, we are in the process of building our forever home in the Villages as I type! Very exciting and we spent a week down in November going into every model home, who would have thought door pulls would be so hard? I picked out cabinets and door pulls only to find out that night that the shade of cabinets didn't really go well with the door pull I picked out first, so I had to re-do them next day, take your time, it will all fall into place.

Now, we picked a designer Whispering Pine on a premier lot, stretched it everywhere we could, the garage forward 4 feet, added a golf cart garage, extended the back of house (inside another 2 feet for the breakfast nook area, living room and master bedroom) We also extended our lanai 6 feet, yes, we had the room and did it. We plan on enclosing it in the future. Also opted for the shake siding which looks like wood. I found that picking out the front door design, outside lighting fixtures, type of shower tile design took the longest. The cabinets, flooring, sink fixtures were pretty easy, planning on ripping out the flooring when I get there as I am having new flooring, teak wood floors and tiles put in the wet areas. Appliances we opted out of, you can do that if you really feel strongly about a fridge ect. not in their packages. They will issue you a credit, only thing you can't opt out of is the microwave as it is vented and it has to be there for the CO.

I had a really great realtor from the villages who spent 3 days walking everywhere to see the models and then back and forth many times to help with our choices. Then we met with the design consultant who was the one who then went over those choices and we all went and looked at them again to be sure. Slept on it a night and then went back to finalize and sign next day. Week flew by, never did I ever get to pick out everything for any house like this before, it was a wonderful experience!

Oh, we also had the utility sink put in garage to give more space inside laundry room. I'm still losing sleep on window treatments and getting all new furniture for it when it is finished on we close in Feb.! We actually close on Valentine's Day. How cool is that?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Sage

You close on Valentines day and our first meeting with our designer is Valentines day. That's cool!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 PM

Wow! That is cool! You will enjoy putting it all together, just wear a good pair of walking shoes and take notes of what model and street you liked something in, just in case you need to go back. Oh and under cabinet lighting we got too. Added an outer electrical outlet on the outside wall somewhere, they were great to work with. We may do a bird cage down the road, they do look nice, thinking a jacuzzi in it will be great! Pool, well, thought about it, figured I have taken care of one for 24 years now, got a 21x40 inground with lovely gardens around it, but a lot of work and maintenance, looking forward to not doing it anymore and just going down the street to the community pool. A friend of mine in Florida does have one and it is a salt water one which she swears makes her skin real soft.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Sage

Do any of you have a platform bed with storage on the sides or on the bottom of it? I kinda like that slick style but didn't know if I would grow tired of the design. Can never have too much storage.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is so much fun to hear about your enjoyable experiences feathering your nests.

I wish every second of a thousand years of happiness for you new folks here in lower paradise.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Default Patio Villas ?

Do Patio Villas have a back yard? I never see pictures of them when I look at homes for sale/rent.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:02 AM

Congratulations DebbieB

Vera and I close on our house 2/7 (Sanibel) and can,t wit to start this adventure. Hope to see you guys around TV.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badminton View Post
Do Patio Villas have a back yard? I never see pictures of them when I look at homes for sale/rent.
Yes, but they generally don't get used as the lanai is on the front of the house and there is no access/door/slider out of the back of the house. Owners of Patio Villas on corner lots will sometimes add a birdcage onto the side of the house given that the side yard is large enough to accommodate one.

And welcome to TOTV!!!

Bill
Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Yes, but they generally don't get used as the lanai is on the front of the house and there is no access/door/slider out of the back of the house. Owners of Patio Villas on corner lots will sometimes add a birdcage onto the side of the house given that the side yard is large enough to accommodate one.

And welcome to TOTV!!!

Bill
Thank You Bill For The Welcome !!!!

If you did sit in the back yard of the average Patio Villa what would you be looking at ? How many feet is the average back yard ?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badminton View Post
Thank You Bill For The Welcome !!!!

If you did sit in the back yard of the average Patio Villa what would you be looking at ? How many feet is the average back yard ?
What you'll see out back will depend on what's built behind it. Ours has a CYV wall - others will have another PV behind if on an interior street of a PV section of homes. They can also back up to other types of homes as well - I know I've seen some back up to designer homes.

Guesstimate of the depth of our back yard: 8' - 10'.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.