BUYING SOON - NEED PRICES FOR EXTRAS

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Default BUYING SOON - NEED PRICES FOR EXTRAS

Hi everyone - my husband and I went on a lifestyle preview a couple of weeks ago, came home and put our house on the market. We are looking for a large ranch home or a small designer. Now my questions:
1. Estimate on a whole house surge protector
2. Two car garage screen door
3. Mandatory memberships that must be paid
4. Golf cart fees
5. Bug service???
6. We have a dog - would there be any problems in putting in an Invisible Fence - do we have to go to a committee?
7. How do we find out about areas that populated and social as opposed to areas that are mostly renters and are empty all summer?

Are there any other items that we need to know about?

I have learned sooooo much by reading all of the posts - looking forward to being a Villager very soon!

J
Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Sage
Default Re: BUYING SOON - NEED PRICES FOR EXTRAS

JO...

Here are a couple of answers.....

1. Whole house surge suppressor...can do it by the month with SECO, the electric company for about $6/month; or have one installed by private electrical contractor..approx $200-$250

2. Two car garage screen door....manual, slider...approx $700; electrical retractable ...2,000-3,000

3. "Mandatory" memberships...your monthly amenity fee...gives you exec golf green fees, all the pools and rec centers. Cost about $137/month. If you want to golf a lot on the championship course, the priority memberships might be for you....this is optional and not mandatory.

4. Golf cart fees...assume you mean trail fee; Per household, per year is $145; covers all residents (up to 4) in the household; not applicable to guests. Cost of a golf cart to purchase...from a dealer, can run from about $5K for totally remanufactured to over $8K for new; can also buy used from private owners for 3-4K. And, everything in between.

5. Bug service ... we use Massey; they come every 3 months for about $60 each treatment so plan on about $250 per year.

6. Invisible fences are permitted; not sure if they require architectural approval but certainly doesn't hurt to ask or go thru that very efficient process.

7. There are NO bad neighborhoods/areas; premier and designer neighborhoods tend to have more year round residents; ranches maybe a little less and villas maybe even fewer; but, with that I'd would say most villa neighborhoods have at least 50% full timers. Some new neighborhoods can be more social just because everyone is starting out together. Location and proximity to things you like to do should carry more weight. Of course, if you buy new, you are limited to where they are building.

Other stuff... it's probably been covered here on TV; just don't overanalyze and follow your instincts. Not sure where you are coming from, but, TV is probably a less costly (and higher quality) way of life.

Glad you drank the koolaid and decided that this is for you. You will not regret it!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 AM

Villages 07 - thanks so much. We are coming from Braintree, MA. I've seen you on the chat and can't thank you guys enough for your help. This is a huge step - but we are confident it's the right thing.

I'll keep you informed on where we are - I would love to meet everyone!

Joanne
Old 06-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Eternal Member

My comments on a few entries:

Whole House Surge Protector. When I first moved here the only choice for the whole house surge protector was rent. After 6 years, I spent over $400 for the whole house surge protector. When SECO added buy as an option, I had one installed for $200 and am on a rent free whole house surge protector. It has already paid for itself.

Mandatory Memberships. Other than priority golf/tennis memberships described by village07, it depends on what clubs you join. Some have $5 - $35 for annual membership. For example the Villages Woodshop is $35 (and going up) and $150 for Initiation fees.

Bug Service. There are all kinds of price ranges. It depends on the type of house and size of yard. I have a ranch with a small yard. I pay $600 per year for inside pest control, termite control, and every other month lawn treatment. That is about the average from what I can determine from other residents. I have Bahia grass. St Augustine runs a little more as it is more tempermental. I pay an extra $50 a month for weeding and shrub trimming.

Invisible Fences. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I have managed to catch the little dog that seems to find a way to escape his invisible fence on several occasions. A couple of neighbors installed the fence and had it removed because it did not work.

Neighborhood/areas. True there are no bad villages/neighborhoods. Not sure I agree with villages07 on the rest. It is not the type of house that has more year round residents but the age of the village. We are all ranches and are 70-80% year rounders. I do agree that buying in a new house in a new village will have a different camaraderie than buying a preowned in an established village but no matter where you buy you will make friends quickly and get involved with their activities. New villages will have empty houses and new villagers not there because they are trying to sell the old house before they can move. If you read some of the other posts, try to stay away from the town squares because the music might become a nuisance. If you want to live on a golf course, be prepared or lawn mowers in the early AM trimming the greens and tee boxes. Also be alert for golf balls and obnoxious golfers searching for their lost golf balls. Be aware that if you are next to a tee box, the golfers are loud and obnoxious. Profanity seems to be a must with some of the golfers.

Also, look at the streets behind your prospective resident. If you back up to a major artery you will have the noise from trucks, motorcycles, etc. Try to get a residence in the interior of a village. I live on the road in/out of our villages. UPS and the other delivery trucks zoom up and down the road, landscaping trucks with their trailers zoom up and down. On garbage days, the garbage trucks zoom up and down. And in the summer, the motorcycles with their loud exhausts zoom up and down. It is not really as bad as all that but it is there. Just something to think about.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

We just bought a villa (Hemmingway) recently and are closing in a week. Met a few neighbors already and really happy about it all.

One note on the surge protector that I believe I read elsewhere here.
If you rent from SECO, yes it's $6/month, however they also
- replace it free if it gets "fried",
- they toss in a bunch of appliance/electronic surge protectors (that they recommend)
- and there's some kind of insurance on the major components.

You don't get those extras if you buy it or get one elsewhere.
I have NOT verified this since I've not yet closed, but I plan to talk to the SECO rep about these points.

Good luck in your move to TV
Old 06-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN
We just bought a villa (Hemmingway) recently and are closing in a week. Met a few neighbors already and really happy about it all.

One note on the surge protector that I believe I read elsewhere here.
If you rent from SECO, yes it's $6/month, however they also
- replace it free if it gets "fried",
- they toss in a bunch of appliance/electronic surge protectors (that they recommend)
- and there's some kind of insurance on the major components.

You don't get those extras if you buy it or get one elsewhere.
I have NOT verified this since I've not yet closed, but I plan to talk to the SECO rep about these points.

Good luck in your move to TV
I got the purchased surge protector through SECO.

When I switched from the rental to a purchased surge protector, I got a whole box of appliance/electronic surge protectors and was told to replace the ones I had with the new ones.

I assume that if it gets fried it will be replaced.

And I believe there is insurance on the major components.

I just think the difference is rent vs buy.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 PM

I hate to sound dumb, but not having one in Illinois I don't know what a "house surge protector" is for. We are building in Hemingway and will close in September. If a surge protector is something we should have, $6/month is very reasonable. Thanks in advance for answers.

Pili
Old 06-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pili
I hate to sound dumb, but not having one in Illinois I don't know what a "house surge protector" is for. We are building in Hemingway and will close in September. If a surge protector is something we should have, $6/month is very reasonable. Thanks in advance for answers.

Pili
You can google "whole house surge protection" (without the "s) and find out the entire story on whole house surge protectors. Here is one site:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...387874,00.html

But the gist of it is that if lightening strikes a utility pole or a tree or something near the house a sure of 10000 plus volts could enter your house through the electrical wiring system (ie meter) and fry everything in the house. Installing a whole house surge protector is supposed to stop the surge at the meter and save your appliances, etc. However, even with the whole house surge protector, you should also have the individual surge protectors on your electronic devices in case of a small surge or electric infection. When the lightening starts around my area, the printer recycles itself. Enough info for me to start shutting things down.

$6 a month is not bad - but if you plan on staying more than four years, purchasing one is cheaper in the long run.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Thank you Caveman. We'll be permanent residents in TV so maybe buying the surge protector is the way to go instead of renting.

Pili
Old 06-29-2008, 02:53 AM

Two car garage screen doors$$$$
Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Platinum member

SECO is running an ad about surge protectors. Check with them for details.

Keep in mind you are moving to the lightning capital of the US.

Also keep in mind I don't think you can find a more desirable place to live regardless of fees, expenses etc. You could move to a place where you would pay a lot more and get a lot less.

DC
Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 PM

We just purchased a home in Hadley. All of the new homes have a type of pine needle mulch which are insect infested. The lowest bid we received to get rid of the pine needles and replace them with rock was $3600 (with edging). Your window coverings are going to be a big expense, and if you want to tear out some of the new, but not very good, carpeting and replace it with tile or wood this is another costly item. To get rid of the carpet in our living room and replace it with tile cost about $3700. Then ,of course, you will have additional landscaping costs. The generic oak trees which have been put in will eventually create damaging root problems. Every landscaper we have talked to has stated that these trees should be removed and replaced with other types (mainly palms) of trees.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:23 PM

Do you like to sit out on the lanai of an evening and have a cold adult beverage? Well, you better check to see where the sun goes down cause it can be toooooo hot :chillout: to sit out there if you aren't careful . We live in Tall Trees in an Amarillo and I checked the neighborhood in the evening and in the morning before I picked the house. We have morning sun on the lanai and shade in the evening :2cool: so we can comfortablely grill or have guests without them being cooked. In the winter the sun warms the lanai so we can go out and read the paper and have our morning coffee without freezing cold_cold. Life is really good :#1: Welcome to TV!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.