Cable TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2021, 11:17 AM
Default Cable TV

Hi all,
We recently moved in and have found that some of our cable outlets in specific rooms have been eliminated. Is there a company anyone would suggest to help get these outlets functioning and wired correctly again? Thanks so much.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:24 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Lenhart Electric

Very personalized service...........not too big, not too small.
Electrician | Residential | Commercial |The Villages | Leesburg | Ocala
Old 02-03-2021, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,113 Posts

Call Tom 3526178868 everyone loves Tom in the villages
Old 02-03-2021, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoffey View Post
Hi all,
We recently moved in and have found that some of our cable outlets in specific rooms have been eliminated. Is there a company anyone would suggest to help get these outlets functioning and wired correctly again? Thanks so much.
What do you mean by eliminated? Typically, the builder will install a cable outlet in every room, but the cable TV company will only power the ones that you are using. They are connected and powered in the cable panel box in the garage.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

get youtubetv.com and you won't need the cable outlets
Old 02-03-2021, 02:01 PM

Consider streaming. Less expensive and no cable box required. All that is needed is a smart TV, plug it in anywhere and you have all the channels over WiFi. It's 2021!
Old 02-03-2021, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
Consider streaming. Less expensive and no cable box required. All that is needed is a smart TV, plug it in anywhere and you have all the channels over WiFi. It's 2021!
To clarify, you don't need a smart TV. You just need a streaming stick like Roku and plug it into an HDMI input on any television.
Old 02-04-2021, 05:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts
Default Comcast/Xfinity

Quote:
Hi all,
If you are going with Comcast they have a box that runs off your WiFi so all you need is a power receptacle and obviously Comcast internet
Old 02-04-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Hi all,
Open the cable box on your house. If there are unconnected cables but no more room on the existing splitter, purchase another splitter (I went to Anixter on Rolling Acres) and reconnect the cables. I found that comcast had connected only those where TVs were used. Of course, now they are not used, as I use Roku for those rooms.

Last edited by G.R.I.T.S.; 02-04-2021 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-04-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Hi all,
Without knowing your company I can only speak for most of the companies. Your contract should list how many outlets you are paying for. If you add more outlets the company charges you for more but why would any company remove an outlet from your home. Additionally how did they gain access to remove them?????
Old 02-04-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWR View Post
That may be true, but you have to get really good internet service and smart TVs. You should be able to get either Roku or Firesticks for non-smart TVs. You will still need to pay for a service to get all the local channels plus whatever else you want.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:36 AM

They are not eliminated, they are just not connected in the panel in the garage. The cable company only puts connectors on a few of the cable feeds and leaves the other ones. Then they charge you to come out and put the ends on the cables. Tools can be purchased (not overly expensive) to put the ends on the cables. Not complicated. Maybe you can share with another person who has the same issue.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Hi all,
stream your tv shows over wifi - outlets not needed anymore
Old 02-04-2021, 08:44 AM

When we moved into our home in Marsh Bend there were cable outlets in each room, but they weren't all connected. Some rooms had 2 cable outlets, and Ethernet jacks, too.

The low voltage box in the garage was where I found the other end of all the coax ant Cat5 Ethernet cables, but without connectors.

Though I'm technical, and wired my previous home in Oregon, I hired Galaxy to come out to test all the wiring, terminate the coax and Cat5 cables with appropriate connectors, and then test each to make sure they were functioning properly. This was before Spectrum was available in the neighborhood (expected a few months later).

I added my own cable/coax splitter that I ordered from Amazon, so all rooms had a cable connection.

Eventually Spectrum came out to install their service for cable tv and internet.

Placed their router in the office, and installed my own wifi mesh network instead of using Spectrum's $5/mo WiFi. I have better WiFi signal throughout the home and yard with the mesh network WiFi.

Did not have enough room in garage low-voltage box for router. Some homes have a much larger low voltage box. Cable-Internet - Google Photos
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 02-04-2021, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Default Suggestion

When I had my DirecTV installed, I made sure that the installer put connectors on all of the cables in the box. This way I can move or add TV's whenever I want. Just have to connect the correct cable in the box.
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, outlets, suggest, functioning, wired

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.