Checking out which American Legion Post to join

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2023, 10:41 AM
Default Post 347 locks out Vietnam Vets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
We are new to The Villages and I want to change my membership in the American Legion to a new Post. Any suggestions as to which one is most active, inclusive, friendly or interesting? Please advise.
Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
A couple years ago I brought friends from Minnesota down to this post to have one drink at the bar and show them around the post. I was about to join. Showed my Legion card to people at the door, and they would not let us in for one drink because locals had some type of contest going on in the club. Couldn’t believe it. Seemed clicky! I will never go in there again.
The bar I could see was empty at the time.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:20 AM

Welcome to the Villages and Thank you for your service.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:56 AM

I will never go back to 347. They denied me two years in a row. They had some bum at the door checking IDs looked like he had in showered in a month and you wouldn't allow me in 2 years in a row that is the last time I would ever put a shadow on their door. I was an army officer who served in Vietnam and have classified totally disabled, and a long time member back home. My home needs my membership to stay afloat in a small town no reason to change
Old 05-05-2023, 12:07 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
I dropped my membership because my club allowed smoking. Are you saying some here do? How about 347, I’ve been wanting to re-join.
Yes , OhioShooter , Post 80 allows smoking! I am not in agreement with it, but Majority dictates policy…
Old 05-05-2023, 03:01 PM

Post 219 Fruitland Park. Very nice, small, friendly and non smoking. Was turned away from Post 347 due to capacity. Amvets in Leesburg is nice but they smoke.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:58 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramone View Post
A couple years ago I brought friends from Minnesota down to this post to have one drink at the bar and show them around the post. I was about to join. Showed my Legion card to people at the door, and they would not let us in for one drink because locals had some type of contest going on in the club. Couldn’t believe it. Seemed clicky! I will never go in there again.
The bar I could see was empty at the time
That was what the other thread was about regarding Post 347.......being turned away.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:24 PM
Default American Legion Post 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
That was what the other thread was about regarding Post 347.......being turned away.
Vietnam veterans only? what about Korea 1950-54
Old 05-06-2023, 10:31 AM

I think the person was offering the VVA Chapter vs. the American Legion in their post.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:19 AM
Default Transfer legion membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmurrell View Post
We are new to The Villages and I want to change my membership in the American Legion to a new Post. Any suggestions as to which one is most active, inclusive, friendly or interesting? Please advise.
Michael Murrell
Marsh Bend
Michael,
I am the current 1st Vice Commander of AL Post 347 in Lady Lake and the membership chair. We are a very active post with bingo several times/week and trivia on Thursday and Saturday evening. Lunch is served on Sunday and Wednesday and dinner is served Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Our website is Florida-legion.org - please check out our newsletter. Our next membership meeting is May 10th (always the second Wednesday each month). Social time with pizza and beverage starts at 5:30 PM and meeting starts at 6:30. Stop by the front office with your DD214 and complete a transfer application anytime Monday - Friday 9-4. If you get there by Noon Monday 5/8, you will be read in and get a new membership card Wednesday. You can contact me for further info 352-633-0385, leave a message and I’ll get back to you ASAP.

Last edited by yankygrl; 05-06-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:29 AM
Default Turned away from 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
That was when we had to close on Tuesday evenings as we had large turn out for queen raffle and only allowed post members and spouse in.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:31 AM
Default Post 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Yes , OhioShooter , Post 80 allows smoking! I am not in agreement with it, but Majority dictates policy…
Our post is non smoking inside BUT have a screened in lanai for those who smoke.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Just me but I liked the one in Lady Lake, I think it’s on 466! I was told it was the biggest in the U.S. or the world. Check that one out! It’s got 3 or 4,000 members.
Almost 7000 legion members, with Auxiliary and SAL close to 10000.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:48 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankygrl View Post
That was when we had to close on Tuesday evenings as we had large turn out for queen raffle and only allowed post members and spouse in.
That was NOT what Commonsense was told when he was turned away.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I do not understand how you can be a member of Vietnam veterans organization ,and you didn’t serve in Vietnam , same with the sons of the American Legion , they get to dress up and look like other legionnaires without being in service . I also don’t understand why people call themselves Vietnam era veterans What’s wrong with just saying you were in the service can’t you just be proud of that without piggybacking on a Vietnam veterans service , I know for some it’s just because others have said it ,but for others I think they know they are blurring the lines and there are actually people who think people served in Vietnam when they see the phrase Vietnam era
Every was has had support personnel that were required to bring victory. I don't think WWII vets differentiated between in theater and out of theater, or Korea vets that differentiate between in theater and out of theater. All that served were necessary, those out of theater contributed greatly to those in theater. By using "era" it gives recognition to those provided support while not using era gives recognition to those in theater. Most vets I know were thankful for those that supported them and consider "era" vets important to the cause.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-06-2023, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Every was has had support personnel that were required to bring victory. I don't think WWII vets differentiated between in theater and out of theater, or Korea vets that differentiate between in theater and out of theater. All that served were necessary, those out of theater contributed greatly to those in theater. By using "era" it gives recognition to those provided support while not using era gives recognition to those in theater. Most vets I know were thankful for those that supported them and consider "era" vets important to the cause.
no one says that support people are not important but your either in country or out of country , and that’s not the case about different war vets , the veterans or foreign wars (VFW ) was founded for veterans of foreign wars , Korean War vets are just that Korean War vets , Vietnam veterans are vets that served in Vietnam , American legion is for all who served ,so maybe people could form a group called era for whenever and wherever you served ,I never was taking away from there service ,all service is important , but people can call themselves any thing they want , I’ve been in very few clubs ,,maybe be in the 1970 ‘s and I think those were weddings and have absolutely no desire to go into another ,I hear enough fairy tales listening to guys around the villages now , I do donate to the VFW , Purple Heart Foundation , Vietnam Vets group in Boston and a group that helps Vietnamese war vets from both sides of the war , and another group who helps the Vietnamese people dealing with the effects from Agent Orange , all of them twice a year
Closed Thread

Tags
american, legion, post, active, inclusive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.