Cold but hopeful in Kansas

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Default Cold but hopeful in Kansas

OK, saying hello as suggested. If we can succeed in a number of discussion with Social Security and state retirement, we might be able to retire in the summer of 2013. We hope to visit the Villages this summer. Meanwhile I hope this site is helpful in answering a number of questions, and a few criticisms I've seen around the web. Thanks for the site.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
OK, saying hello as suggested. If we can succeed in a number of discussion with Social Security and state retirement, we might be able to retire in the summer of 2013. We hope to visit the Villages this summer. Meanwhile I hope this site is helpful in answering a number of questions, and a few criticisms I've seen around the web. Thanks for the site.
Welcome Old Dave,...what are the criticisms you've seen? We live here and might have a helpful view of things. Hope your retirement works out for coming here!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Hope it is not Andrew D. Blechman's Leisureville? http://www.andrewblechman.com/ He may need to update his book in a while. A lot can happen in the six or seven years since the few weeks he was here in the Villages. He was here when King Kong came out at the movie theaters (Dec. 14, 2005). Specifically the film was here at the Old Mill Playhouse, the newer of the Villages 2 movie theaters.

It still does go over some of the negatives in a thoughtful manner even if it is very much out-of-date.

You will find a lot of great people with a lot of information for you here on TOTV. Now I sound like graciegirl.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Thanks. I don't want to repeat anything negative, rather just watch and learn. Besides, from what I read, this Thread isn't appropriate for it. I will say one thing I've observed in the short time I've looked into TV, most of the negatives come from people who just happen to dislike the 55 restricted age thing. (For me that's one of the biggest appeals.)
Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Sage

Welcome, Dave! Hopefully you'll find this message board to be useful. If nothing else, you'll have some fun while you're on here!!

Enjoy!

Bill
Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Hi. I see you are from KS. I am from Hiawatha but live Mishawaka, In but am planning on moving down in the future.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Hey Dave, we're midwesterners, our boy goes to KU - so go Jayhawks.

criticisms should be taken with a grain of salt, mostly from people not really familiar with TV.

This forum is just fantastic, you can learn most anything here about The Villages and anything else, just jump in. Be sure to come down and visit soon.
Best decision we ever made. best wishes
Old 03-01-2012, 08:12 PM

J&E, have you visited there yet? We have not. And we're in Hutchinson.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Sage

Dave,

Welcome to TOTV. Ask and you shall receive a wealth of information.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:28 PM

John, somehow I didn't see your post first time I checked. (Probably because my daughter is at K-State...I'm not allowed to talk to KU people. lol)

Thanks very much for the welcome. If we can get a couple of early retirement issues worked out we hope to visit in June and consider moving next year.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I don't want to repeat anything negative, rather just watch and learn.

I will say one thing I've observed in the short time I've looked into TV, most of the negatives come from people who just happen to dislike the 55 restricted age thing. (For me that's one of the biggest appeals.)
Smart way to start out!
Welcome to the forum. It's fun, entertaining and you'll learn a lot from a lot of nice, smart people.

Ditto on the +55.

My band played in Wichita and Manhattan at KSU in the early 70's.
I have a lady friend who won't discuss anything but KU & Jayhawks.
In reality, they're different!
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM

I was at Wichita State from 68 until 76.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Yes we have been there 3 times. We rent every year and enjoy it. The people are nice and the food is good. We hope to retire there when my husband retires. I retired last year and been busy with projects that couldn't get done while working. I know if you go and visit you will have a great time.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hello OldDave, Welcome to TOTV from a TV wannabee. If you post questions and keep reading TOTV, you will get a wealth of information about moving to and living in The Villages.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.