Coming for a Visit

Old 02-20-2024, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer38 View Post
I know this is like beating a dead horse, and yes, I have read tons of info on the Villages. I will be coming down next week for a quick visit and then working a lifestyle visit in June.

There is no better feedback than having a ride along with a Villages Owner.

I know this may seem out of the ordinary, but would anyone be willing to show me around? Give me the full monty of the place. Especially the best places to buy.

We can meet in a public place and I will show you my license and credentials. I will even buy you lunch or dinner anywhere you want to go. Information that many of you have is invaluable and worth every penny for dinner/lunch. You can even bring your spouse or friend.

Sorry, if this is out of line for this forum, not my intention.

Jim
You should read today's NewsBreak about the temperatures in the Atlantic being now as high as normally in June. That HEATED WATER produces the strong hurricanes. That is important if you intend on living here year-around. Florida is virtually an island and the made the weather great 15 years ago. Now the weather is not great in the summer and getting worse. Florida home insurance is the highest in the nation. The bad parts about life here are hard to see and most residents here do NOT want to admit to things about the bad parts.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
If you are looking in the southern ( new) are, be aware....the bonds are extremely high, the taxes are for Sumter Cty and the City of Wildwood, you are so far removed from EVERYTHING. If you look at the Daily Sun on a daily basis, you will see there are a LOT of houses in the newer section for sale already. You must ask yourself....WHY? There has GOT to be a reason. Think about it
I've been hearing this for years. 4th home, yes down south, very reasonable bond, last house up north was more. Taxes are reasonable. For the near 14 yrs we've been here, the developer has lowered prices on neighborhoods they want to finish and move on. Our three homes all near Lake Sumter were bought at reduced prices. We are not removed from everything, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. We like new and prefer not to remodel older homes, to each their own.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
You should read today's NewsBreak about the temperatures in the Atlantic being now as high as normally in June. That HEATED WATER produces the strong hurricanes. That is important if you intend on living here year-around. Florida is virtually an island and the made the weather great 15 years ago. Now the weather is not great in the summer and getting worse. Florida home insurance is the highest in the nation. The bad parts about life here are hard to see and most residents here do NOT want to admit to things about the bad parts.
Speaking of "Beating a Dead Horse"...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-20-2024, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Based on my two years of owning in the Villages, I believe that it's possible that the opposite might be true!

Good luck in your search though. Definitely take the trolley tour though to start out.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
I counted 8

True, only one of those 8 has 53k members. But the others have decent numbers too. 5k, 27k, & so on.

The other 7 have different variations of the name.

The one with 53,000 members is likely to yield better results for the OP.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
IMO, every buyer should come to Florida in September. Experience the wicked humidity and the stress of watching hurricanes form in the Gulf of Mexico. The persistent afternoon rain, the lightening and homes catching fire, the sweat running down your forehead, swimming pools that often no comfort because the water is warm, staying cooped up because you need AC, and the bugs. If you survive until the end of the month, Florida is right for you!

BTW: Florida is a peninsula not a virtual island. But yes, the summers seem to get WORSE as each year passes. When I first moved to this state in the eighties, the weather was not much of a concern. It was sunny and calm most of the year.

It is interesting that people do not want to talk about the bad parts of living in the Villages. Some even get angry when you do! Every place has its pros and cons. The Villages is no different. Yet, some become extremely offended when you point this out. I have never seen such reaction except in the Villages. Those who notice call it the Stepford Syndrome.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 02-21-2024 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
I've been hearing this for years. 4th home, yes down south, very reasonable bond, last house up north was more. Taxes are reasonable. For the near 14 yrs we've been here, the developer has lowered prices on neighborhoods they want to finish and move on. Our three homes all near Lake Sumter were bought at reduced prices. We are not removed from everything, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. We like new and prefer not to remodel older homes, to each their own.
I would love to see you find a house in the north with a larger bond than one in the south. When you do, let us all know! We will stand corrected.

The developer lowered prices after the 2008 market crash. Homes EVERYWHERE in the USA lost value. It was not a Villages only scenario.

Is it different in Dabney? Are buyers simply not interested in that area? Or, is something bigger looming? Could it be real estate is softening and prices will continue to fall? We must wait and see.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 02-21-2024 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:25 AM
Default Reality Visit

There is only 1 way to get a real feel of the Villages. Rent a golf car for a day. Plan on spending about 8 hours traveling on the ground thru the Villages. You can use the golf car app. for the Villages for directions. Start at the top, Spanish Springs and work your way south thru all the areas. Get a coffee and donut in the morning, stop somewhere for lunch, stop somewhere for dinner, attend a square for some music and a few drinks. You will get to see and know more about the areas.You can see where the shopping, golf courses, restaurants are in relation to areas.
DUE DILIGENCE IS PRICELESS!

[
Quote:
I know this is like beating a dead horse, and yes, I have read tons of info on the Villages. I will be coming down next week for a quick visit and then working a lifestyle visit in June.

I know this may seem out of the ordinary, but would anyone be willing to show me around? Give me the full monty of the place. Especially the best places to buy.

We can meet in a public place and I will show you my license and credentials. I will even buy you lunch or dinner anywhere you want to go. Information that many of you have is invaluable and worth every penny for dinner/lunch. You can even bring your spouse or friend.

Jim
Old 02-21-2024, 12:22 PM

Thank you all for the comments and replies. They are well accepted.

I just signed up for a lifestyle visit for the first part of June. They said I will be staying in the southern area of the Villages. I assume thats where the area of the new developments are located.

Thanks all..

BTW, I tried to reply with other comments but the forum never posted them. I will try again...
Old 02-21-2024, 01:26 PM
Default I would be happy to give you information, 18 years here, it’s a great place to retire

Quote:

Jim
I would be happy to talk to you, I have lived here since 2005 & love it here, a great place to retire. I am from NC, where are you coming from? Mary ☘️
Old 02-21-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Jim
. I sent a reply I thought, I am happy to share information, I have lived here full time for 18 years. Mary at: ackissmary@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2024, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Find someone to have breakfast with each morning and pick their brains as to what they like and do not like.

This is a huge place and hard to find out enough in a few days.

Before we moved here we rented for a month to enable us to explore and learn more about this place.

Most of us will agree that this is a great place to live and you will get out of this place what you put into it.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Jim
I will be happy to update you on the Villages, great place to retire, loved living here for 18 years👍. My email is listed, Mary A
Old 02-21-2024, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Also, golfer38 - be cautious if you respond to people offering to give you a hand. This forum has unrestricted access to the public - anyone can sign up to post. There are people who will prey on potential newcomers. Giving your personal information to someone who (for example) signed up in 2020, has only 4 posts total, three of which are in this thread - is a risk. Someone that eager to get you to send them a private message might not have your best interests at heart.
Old 02-22-2024, 07:19 AM

I will be happy to chat with you, I have been here 18 years, love it, Mary, my email is listed ☘️

Tags
visit, villages, coming, place, show

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.