Coming for a visit

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Smile Coming for a visit

My wife and I will be arriving on Thursday to test the waters. On our initial visit we will only be spending the night. Since Patti and I will be in Florida until 3/3, we have built in extra time to revisit if our first reaction is a favorable one. In a nut shell, here is our story. We are retired teachers from New York State. Shortly after leaving the classroom, the two of us moved to Sarasota, where we spent 8 years. Even though we liked that city, the complex we were in neither one of us could stand for a variety of reasons. So we decided to become "half backs"; Patti and I moved into a Del Webb complex just outside of Charlotte in the great state of South Carolina.
After spending two years at this new residence, my wife and I are having serious doubts as to whether or not we want to remain here.
The concept of The Villages is what is capturing my interest. I like the fact that all the amenities, including shopping, dining, medical facilities, etc. are so close by. Plus I am fascinated by the wealth of activities the community has to offer.
Now for our concerns. Up until very recently I did not realize the extent of the sinkhole possibilities that exist in this part of the state. I am very worried about getting insurance to cover these pitfalls. Plus I remember how difficult it was to find a reputable insurance company particularly after the devatasting hurricane years of 2004 and 2005. What seems to be the prevailing mood of TV about these issues? Do most people have sinkhole coverage? What insurance companies would you recommend I investigate?
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Patti & Gary
Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Location: Rockville, MD and Sawgrass Villas, Village of St. James

I am closing on a new property in The Villages Feb. 22 and was able to get sinkhole coverage through The Villages Insurance Agency. I checked several companies and the one selected turned out to be the best. Some companies want to inspect the property before writing the coverage. Some want $90, non-refundable to do the inspection.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Sage

We secured our insurance through The Villages Insurance as well. No problem!

I've been reading the "Sink Hole" posts and it appears to me the people who are concerned about them are the people who don't live in TV.

We live in the Chicago area and most people here do not have the needed earthquake insurance if any at all. Most of the insurance, including mine, does not cover properly if there were an earthquake. Funny how the insurance companies don't seem to want to cover what they may want to pay!

"There is the New Madrid fault zone in southern IL and MO, which was responsiple for the 8.0+ earthquakes in 1811 and 1812. There are other minor ones such as the Wabash Valley Fault Zone which produced the 5.4 in 2008, the Sandwhich Fault which produces very small earthquakes near Dixon, and the Plum River Fault which is located in northwest IL."

I maintain that every state has it's issues.... Some you may not even be aware of... some you may!

Everyone has to make their own decision about where to live... I chose TV with it's beauty and amenities!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

As many have quoted in the past-don't forget your checkbook before arriving at the Villages. Compared to your previous "home locations" I believe you're going to be overwhelmed. You may be wanting to make the plunge on the first visit.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If you can't be happy here, you can't be happy anywhere.

St. Peter tells people who are entering the pearly gates who have lived in The Villages, Welcome, Bless you, you are going to be a little disappointed.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Sage
Default Life in The Villages

I believe that all that The Villages has to offer and the people that live here far outweigh the possibilities of a sink hole. You can't live in fear, just do your best to protect yourself in case something happens. Life life to the fullest and that can be done by living in The Villages! Welcome.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
You can't live in fear, just do your best to protect yourself in case something happens.
You're right !

If you live in fear, why not just lock yourself up in your house and do nothing for the rest of your life................
Old 02-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Sage

We checked with many insurance agencies and we got our insurance from the local AAA office. Our home policy includes sink hole coverage.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Gold member

Insurance AGENCIES normally have several different insurance CARRIERS to choose from. The various carriers limit their exposure to certain perils in some states to they will stay financially viable.

That means they have quotas of how many policies (or percentage of their policies) they will underwrite in various zip codes. So - if someone says, for instance, get Blank Insurance Company because they are a reputable company with a good claims handling history and have the best sinkhole rider, you still may not be able to get it at a particular time depending on their current exposure.

Please don't think that because you have your insurance thru The Villages Agency or AAA Insurance Agency that you automatically have the same policy (Carrier) as someone else. You might be able to get it, might not. And if you go with your less-preferred carrier at the moment, check back in a few weeks or months and see if you can switch. If you have a mortgage it is kind of a pain (a couple of phone calls and a period of time waiting for your refund of unused premium), but is worth it to get coverage you are comfortable with.

Insurance is state-regulated - you don't have to wait until renewal - premiums are pro-rated so you won't lose money if you cancel.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Sage

Be prepared to be blown away by the beauty of TV.

I don't think the sinkhole problem is that prevalent but it's always better to have insurance to protect oneself.

Stuff happens no matter where you live. That's why insurance companies make money. No one is guaranteed a safe existence.

The positives of TV tremendously outweigh the small negatives.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

One night here is not going to be anywhere near enough! If nothing else, fit in a trolley tour so you can get a good overview of what The Villages is all about. You will want to come back for at least a week so you can experience some of what is offered here. You will want to visit both town squares, look at model homes, ride all over in a golf cart, check out the nightly entertainment on the squares, visit a few of the recreation centers, maybe take in a show at the beautiful Savannah Center. Better make that a two-week to a one-month stay here! If I were you I might be contacting The Villages to set up a Lifestyle Visit as soon as they can fit you in! You are going to love this place!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Gold member

You'll have to return here many times between now and March 3rd. No way can you realize what this place is all about in one day....although, we have two sets of friends who each visited us for less than 27 ours, were convinced and are now moving here ! Have fun.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Gold member

I thought I knew TV before visiting from reading this web site and books and my general thoughts of 55+ comm. At times I was negative; maybe real negative and I apologise.

I heard "drink the "Koolaid" and "Chip Implant" remarks and thought wow how can it be. Is it mind control?

We visited friends for 2 nights in Jan. and were BLOWN away.

We came back a few weeks ago and purchased a lot in Fernandina and will start building in the Spring. Our friends in Orlando cannot believe we are leaving.

So in essence, we drank the Koolaid (might have really been a Bourbon Manhattan) that was slipped to us and and are in line for the Chip implant when we close.

Can't wait.

Last edited by keithwand; 02-14-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: edit
Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran member

We visited friends in TV in 2009. I didn't even have to ask the wife anything. I could see it in her eye's, that TV would be the last stop on the bus Happy campers in TV Springdale.....
Old 02-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Sage

Orge, I'm a younger wannabee who would move to TV tomorrow if I could. If you can visit again later in the year, maybe schedule a lifestyle visit for several days to get a more comprehensive picture of TV. Lifestyle visits are arranged through TV's sales office. Many people in TV also rent homes for months and even weekly rentals are available in just about every village in TV.

I have read about the sinkhole issue, and since I'm still a wannabee, I will deal with that when I buy in TV. Sinkholes are not huge concern for me. TV is something you have to see in person to appreciate. I hope your visit to TV is an enjoyable one.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.