Competition to TV?

Closed Thread
Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Cool Competition to TV?

We've only checked out one other place (The Villages of Citrus Hills) and were not impressed. It felt like a ghost town at night. Did anyone visit Lakewood Ranch, near Sarasota before deciding to be a TV frog? I've toyed with the idea of renting a car and driving the 2 hours down 75 to see it while we're on our TV 10 day Preview Visit. I hate to take the time away from TV if it's not worth it. Any thoughts from your experiences?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Sage

Victoria, it depends on what you're looking for as a basis for comparison. There are plenty of 55+ communities all over FL - and some are very nice. Can you get more house for the money elsewhere versus TV? Absolutely - no question. Do you like a small community that's generally very quiet? If those things are primary areas of focus, then you should continue in your pursuits.

But...........when you start to make comparisons on the available amenities, a large infrastructure (stores, restaurants, many roads, multiple fire department stations, etc.), resale value of homes, and so forth - you might as well stop looking. You will not find anything that comes close to what TV offers in those areas......and more!

Do what you need to do to satisfy your level of curiosity in your search - that's the best route to go.

Bill
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Sage

Lakewood Ranch planned community is definitely beautiful...I've been there briefly while shopping in the area. Their website gives lots of details and photos.

The main differences I see are that Lakewood Ranch is apparently not a 55+ community, and I couldn't find anything about golf cart use by residents.

Going absolutely everywhere in one's own golf cart and having streets/paved multi-modal trails specifically carts is a huge draw for so many we've met here in TV. Also, having nightly live bands in 2 and soon 3 town squares here in TV means there is always something to do in the evenings. It's fun to simply go there and watch people enjoying life, not just wasting away in a cold house or nursing home!

If you love the beautiful, "another-world", powdered sugar fine, white sands of Siesta Key and Longboat Key, it would be well worth a trip to Sarasota for a day or two. These two islands' beaches are stunningly beautiful....no place like this elsewhere.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Gold member

We also visited Citrus Hills. Beautiful homes and wonderful recreation center with large indoor pool and spa. We also felt the place was empty at night. We were there in the summer so must be lots of snow birds who own there. We traveled all over Florida from Naples, Palm Beach, Jacksonville, etc and found better, cheaper homes but not a better overall lifestyle or golf deal.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriada1 View Post
We've only checked out one other place (The Villages of Citrus Hills) and were not impressed. It felt like a ghost town at night. Did anyone visit Lakewood Ranch, near Sarasota before deciding to be a TV frog? I've toyed with the idea of renting a car and driving the 2 hours down 75 to see it while we're on our TV 10 day Preview Visit. I hate to take the time away from TV if it's not worth it. Any thoughts from your experiences?

You really need to check out as many places as you can! PLEASE!!!! Then you will know what everyone is talking about! For most of us, The Villages is the last stop. Everything else pales by comparison!!! But you have to see that so YOU will know in your heart that you made the right decision.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Just visited with a couple today

who were on their lifestyle tour and bought at Stonecrest....Lot of home for the money and access by cart to the Villages, on a dirt trail.....They were having buyers remorse because husband is a golfer and wish they had spent the extra bucks for the amazing lifestyle here in TV.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
You really need to check out as many places as you can! PLEASE!!!! Then you will know what everyone is talking about! For most of us, The Villages is the last stop. Everything else pales by comparison!!! But you have to see that so YOU will know in your heart that you made the right decision.
I totally agree. A decision of this magnitude needs to be entered knowing you did the right thing.

I personally did not look at other retirement communities as I knew TV was right for me.

Best wishes on researching other communities.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Gold member

If you only have time to visit one alternative community in this area, may I suggest consider Stonecrest which is adjacent to The Villages. But before you do that, read my post number 33 in this thread where I tried to summarize the differences between the two communities. This way you can avoid wasting your time on a tour if It’s not a good fit for you to begin with.

Good Luck with your search.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 PM

you can't beat the villages.

when you see the rest, you'll know TV is best. (can I be a poet in my next life?)
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

We visited Citrus Hills about 6 or 7 years ago. Fell in love with the Van Gogh home plan. Then we drove all round the development and, nothing. No feeling of comunity like the villages.
Then we went to the nearest beach, sorry can not remember the name. It was dusk, looking south was wonderful !! Looking north, well, all we saw were the lights from the nuclear power plant, magical at night... but by day, not so much.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 PM

The decision you end up making will, I believe, be based on both subjective and financial factors that matter most to you. I say subjective because there are a number of places in FL that offer a great experience and financial because, as was previously stated, you can get more home for your money outside The Villages. In the end, you have to weigh how much these things mean to you.

We have absolutely no second thoughts on purchasing in TV. For us, this place is second to none and almost every night, my wife and I enjoy music at one of the squares. We love our neighbors and take advantage of the many activities offered by The Villages.

Best of luck!

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Sage

Victoriada1,

Since you are interested in Lakewood Ranch and will be only two hours away, I wouldn't pass on the opportunity to go see it if I were you.

You don't want to have to always wonder whether you would have chosen to live there had you seen it. Satisfy your curiosity. Then you'll know how or whether it compares to TV.

If you do drive down to Lakewood Ranch, please post again and tell us what you thought.

Have a wonderful vacation!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
If you only have time to visit one alternative community in this area, may I suggest consider Stonecrest which is adjacent to The Villages. But before you do that, read my post number 33 in this thread where I tried to summarize the differences between the two communities. This way you can avoid wasting your time on a tour if It’s not a good fit for you to begin with.

Good Luck with your search.
Actually I went to Stonecrest once and thought it was a neat place , but then keep in mind that I once thought death vally was a neat spot !!!!

anyone have a drink of water,,,,,,,,,fumar
Old 02-08-2012, 10:50 PM

You should visit as many places as possible. We did at least a half-dozen Lifestyle stays. Del Webb Sun City Grand in Arizona was closest to The Villages. But, honestly, not even close. Soilvita in Orlando is a Villages wannabe. Robson in Texas, meh. On Top of The World had potential, but a long way to go. Stonecrest and Spruce Creek seems like a nearby opportunity to enjoy the Villages. But I know people who bought there and soon sold to move to The VIllages. We also did three LSVs in the The Villages before we gave in and said this is it. Take your time and check out all that's available. I'll bet the Forum will be welcoming you here someday.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.