Considering Retiring To The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2021, 05:32 AM

Keep in mind The Villages is no longer a retirement "community", but a retirement "metropolis".
Old 05-10-2021, 05:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamorela View Post
Also, check out “Single in the Villages” on Facebook. It is a great group!
The Villages 55+ Retirement Community and Being Single. The Facebook Group Single in the Villages. - YouTube
Trying to scare him into staying in Texas?
Old 05-10-2021, 05:42 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
As someone that has moved DOWN THERE you have no idea what you are talking about.

PS the cost is going up as fast for resales as it is for new
Well, considering I price the homes continuously I'll differ with you, in a very big way. But, everyone has different ideas of affordable. I absolutely know what I am talking about.

And yes, resales are going up, but new are going crazy because of the cost of raw materials.

Nobody from UP HERE is bashing anybody, but it is interesting that everyone south of the new bridge seems to be bashing and defending themselves as if someone has said something disparaging about them.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

Great thing you're coming down to visit, remember there are 10 plus Senior communities near the villages all are much cheaper and have a different vibe than The villages, Plantation , and Pennbrooke Fairways are two you should look at also as well as more in and around Leesburg . Stay at least a week
Old 05-10-2021, 05:58 AM

Use an MLS agent in addition to The Villages agent. They cant sell each others listings. That way you can see everything available in the area you prefer. BTW theres no BAD areas. Make sure you understsnd what the bond is. There are many homes with bonds paid off. Everyplace in TV is beautiful and friendly. Best of luck.

Stewiegal
Old 05-10-2021, 06:06 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

One thing to remember - if you aren't IN the Villages, you cannot partake in any of the activities of the Villages.

Everything in TV is within golfcart range, although most of this is north right now. That will gradually shift as more recreation areas are planned towards the south.

If you purchase outside TV, the only activity you can do is the entertainment at The Squares. Nothing else will be available to you. So, there is a price to pay for being in TV, but it is, in my opinion, well worth it. Bear that in mind as you shop.

Welcome - most everyone here is extremely friendly and will welcome you to TV and show you around!

All the Villages are great to live in!
Old 05-10-2021, 06:09 AM

I came here for a weekend 3 1/2 years ago and moved I am a MLS realtor here. I have 25 years experience and have been in Florida for 13 of those. Villages sales agents are great. They do represent the developer. Seem to be fair. Prices for new have increased because of material costs. The new areas are fine, you have to find what suits you. There are MLS resales in all areas. MLS agents have about half of the resales in the area. Good luck. Andrea Bonivich, Sellstate Superior Realty 281-513-1250
Old 05-10-2021, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

Don’t worry about getting a MLS real estate agent unless the Villages agent can’t find you something you like. You won’t have enough time to use two agents trying to help you.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

It took until post #37 to be really helpful to new customer at the koolaid stand. We don't and should not know your financial situation, but as part of your affordability cost, don't forget to add in the cost of the bond or not, when putting the numbers in your financial margarita blender. . .

Make sure you decide what your priorities are, and be sure to look at the different models, and if you decide to build, be sure to check what type of house can go on each lot you are considering. If you decide against a build, and are going for a re-sale, i would rent down here with a pen in your hand every day, and try to be the first for every new listing, as we have seen some very, very nice houses get put under agreement hours after for sale, and some never even make the public view. . . .

but then again, we are all just individual posters on a random internet site.

finance guy
Old 05-10-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Good luck to you but do think you need more than a weekend to decide if you want to come here and where you might want to live.

We rented for a month and with hindsight could have made it 2.
I made my decision after the second roundabout on Buena Vista. Never played golf before I came so it wasn’t about golf. The fact that the place was so well manicured is what got me. After 3 years, not one regret
Old 05-10-2021, 06:13 AM

There is a lot of conversation about villages vs. MLS realtors. One thing I haven't seen yet is a mention of VA funding. Villages agents can't (won't?) work with VA funded loans. I've spoken to a few people who have needed to go with an MLS realtor. I think (don't know) that the reason Properties of The Villages doesn't do VA funded sales is because of lead time. Last I heard new home sales must close within 30 days. VA can't meet that schedule. Also, if you talk to an MLS agent, some (perhaps not a lot) also manage rentals in the villages. You could rent for a few months while shopping...?

Talk to a lot of "strangers" while you visit.

Wishing you nothing but luck in your journey.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:15 AM

Download The Villages App. You can see all the homes being sold by The Villages and it has a Destinations tab with directions to everywhere in The Villages via car and cart. Then check out homes on Zillow using appropriate filters. The Villages sold 800 homes last month. Don't know the mix but probably 50/50 new/used. Don't know how many are sold by MLS but I expect quite a few.

If you like natural gas for heat or cooking be aware that houses between 466a and 44 don't have it.

If you are a softball player, most of the action is at the 2 fields along 466, although Everglades in the south will be getting some use now.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
This is a wonderful place to live. Spend some time late afternoon in the evenings at one of the Squares and talk to people at the bars, etc.

That made my choices much easier. And I found that 8 out of 10 people did not buy through the Villages agents.
I don’t know we’re you got that info but you are 100% incorrect.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
It took until post #37 to be really helpful to new customer at the koolaid stand. We don't and should not know your financial situation, but as part of your affordability cost, don't forget to add in the cost of the bond or not, when putting the numbers in your financial margarita blender. . .
Bond was mentioned in Post #10 - and bond, for me, meant the home would cost 10% more.

Then, when I factored in landscaping, upgraded interior stuff, etc, just got too dear.

Some people come down here with loads of cash and really don't care or the costs. And that's fine. We are all on equal footing here - nobody is better than anybody else. We're on an even playing field, as we should be!

One other thing that needs to be pointed out - the amenity fee is currently $164 / monthly.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs631 View Post
I don’t know we’re you got that info but you are 100% incorrect.
Well, I asked around when shopping and 8/10 people told me to check with MLS as they had gotten more bang for the buck working with MLS. And I certainly did. Easy choice...

So, it is what it is. And with MLS closings being delayed by 3 weeks because there are so many closing kinda makes that comment a bit nonsensical.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, retiring, live, christi, cabot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.