Considering Retiring To The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2021, 10:25 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
And you will probably realize this is the rudest post yet and that may give you second thoughts about Florida residents.
I am from the South, but lived everywhere. Just watch and see who waves when you wave at people on the street.

Having gone to college in Florida I found that the majority of the stuck-up, holier-than-thou people were the ones wearing FLORIDA NATIVE shirts or hats.....

that attitude nearly made me pass by Florida as a retirement state as I don't associate with stuck-up people very well... luckily a lot of people in TV are friendly....
Old 05-11-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRCTexas View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm considering retiring and moving to The Villages. I currently live in a suburb of Dallas, Texas. I'm coming to The Villages May 20th - May 23rd.
I'm looking at homes - both new and used. Since I'm single, I don't need a large place to live. I like the floor plans of Colony, Austin, Corpus Christi, Cabot Cove, Ruby and Pearl.
I have a Villages Real Estate Agent who will be taking me around while I'm there.
Hopefully, I will be able to meet some of you while I'm in town.

Larry
Welcome to TV...Hoping that you enjoy your retirement here! I'm sure you'll find the home of your dreams here.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,412 Times in 2,413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaxxx View Post
Another thing to consider.....
If you read this "Talk of The Villages" enough, you'll see how childish and petty many of the folks living here are.
As a native Floridian I can tell you that most here are from the frigid North and do not have the hospitality skills/traits that most southerners do.
You being from Texas, it might be a consideration in your decision to move to this place.
And you live in which village?
Old 05-12-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamorela View Post
What suburb of Dallas? My son lives in Southlake!
I live in Lewisville - where 121 and I35 meet.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,525 Times in 1,917 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwood4d View Post
there is a lot of conversation about villages vs. Mls realtors. One thing i haven't seen yet is a mention of va funding. Villages agents can't (won't?) work with va funded loans. I've spoken to a few people who have needed to go with an mls realtor. I think (don't know) that the reason properties of the villages doesn't do va funded sales is because of lead time. Last i heard new home sales must close within 30 days. Va can't meet that schedule. Also, if you talk to an mls agent, some (perhaps not a lot) also manage rentals in the villages. You could rent for a few months while shopping...?

Talk to a lot of "strangers" while you visit.

Wishing you nothing but luck in your journey.
just new ones/ va financing. Just the new ones. They won't mess with mortgages that take a lot of time to get.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

I strongly recommend you don't drink the water. The Villages also controls the water supply and puts something in it. Your better off sticking with Gin and Tonic instead but I think they also add something to the Gin at their Drink Shacks in the Square so be careful.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:53 AM

You mentioned that you rented for a month before you bought in The Villages. How does one rent for only a month. Do you rent from an owner who has returned up North for the summer? Or does the Villages management rent one of their patio villas for a month?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,706 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Returnee View Post
You mentioned that you rented for a month before you bought in The Villages. How does one rent for only a month. Do you rent from an owner who has returned up North for the summer? Or does the Villages management rent one of their patio villas for a month?
You are renting a home owned by someone who is either a part time resident or owns the home as a rental investment.

Just Google "Homes for rent in The Villages, FL."
Old 05-13-2021, 10:55 AM
Default Retiring to TV

Recommend the "lifestyle plan"... take a week.... use the golf cart and explore.
Get a good map ..... there is an almost infinite number of possibilities... nearly everyone you meet or seek advice from, loves their area (village) ... I live in McClure and find it is everything I could imagine. Tons of expansion .... lot of pre-owned homes are selling fast since (I understand) building a new home may take nearly a year now... plus escaling costs of materials.... good luck.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:41 PM
Default What newspaper was that?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carhirsch View Post
We bought from an owner listing in the newspaper—got a great deal and we love our home in Duval.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,326 Posts

Right now it does matter which agent you contact, MLS or Villages Agent. Neither have many resales listed, and both will admit that to you. It maybe the lowest inventory since the 07 buying frenzy.
As you have read you have opinions on where you should or shouldn’t live, who you should or shouldn’t buy from, and don’t buy in less than a week visit or buy soon as you find a home.

No one in this site has the exact answer for you. Read the posts take with a grain of salt, take a deep breath enjoy the time you have here. Make a decision to buy, or return later. Either way make sure you are happy with whatever you decide.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:23 AM

Villages sales agent are real estate agents. Go to the florida dbpr website and put a name of a villages sales person and you will see that they too, are licensed agents with the state - no different than any other. Working for a developer is a bit different than that of a brokerage. They are single-agency, meaning they cannot co-broke with mls, and vice versa. The villages has well over 50% of the resale market and have made themselves very competetive in the market percentage. It is not a bad idea to have an mls/villages representative. The villages representative goal is just not sales of homes, but sharing the lifestyle of the villages. Remember, all of the sales reps do not get paid for touring, hosting, showing, arranging, calling, emailing, and providing information of any kind, etc. They get paid when they sell a house.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,784 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
I always admire people who read TOTV and still want to move here. It really is a wonderful place to live.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,121 Posts
Default I am a veteran and I have sold a lot of homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
just new ones/ va financing. Just the new ones. They won't mess with mortgages that take a lot of time to get.
and I will never take a VA mortgage they just take to long and to much nit picking and I have never used one myself
Old 05-23-2021, 08:41 AM

Be sure to ask your Villages realtor to show you Katie Bells and the Hacienda country club. And ask about their plans for your neighborhood after the sell all the lots.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, retiring, live, christi, cabot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.