Considering the Villages for next year's retirement

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Smile Considering the Villages for next year's retirement

Hello. My husband and I are considering retirement at the Villages as a respite from the harsh New York City winters. We have just returned from a visit to the area and loved the lifestyle, security and safety in the Villages. We also looked at Stonecrest and Spruce Creek so now we have to come to a decision as our target retirement date of August 2013 rapidly approaches. We will be 55 years old when we retire and wonder if the Villages is the right place for us. Thank you for this forum as we will undoubtedly have many questions before making our decision. We hope to be back for the lifestles package in March 2013. Thanks again.

M&M
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Gold member

to TOTV. There are plenty of answers on this forum.
Just search the threads and you'll be amazed how much you can learn.
Oh, and a couple of opinions too!
In reality, they're different!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Sage

A few couples told us they chose Stonecrest or Spruce Creek because they regard TV as a "playground" or "too expensive". They were also in their 70's or 80's, while we are in our 50's, and they seemed to want something "sedate".

Coming from NYC, I think you'll find TV to be "active and lively" enough while being far less chaotic and prone to crime than the city. We still marvel at how clean and orderly everything is here, while being very alive and filled with happy people who are young at heart.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks very much. We are looking forward to reading up and getting as much intel as we can.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the reply. We found it amazing that we were able to walk the dog and around 1030 PM and feel completely safe. Love the Town Squares and nightly entertainment too. The senior discounts at the DD were pretty funny to us.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Sage

Read through things on TOTV - it's a tremendous source of information. Also, spend more time off and on in TV to get more acclimated to everything. When it comes time to make your decision(s), you'll be ready to go!

And.........always head to TV with checkbook in hand. You never know when you'll stumble across THE house for you!!

Enjoy -

Bill
Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Night and Day you are the one........

Only you beneath the moon and under the sun....

I find it surprising that you have been here and you are only considering it. I fell head over heels in love with The Villages an hour after we arrived.

(I am the one that would NEVER live in Florida)
Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Sage
Default Experiencing the lifestyle in a TV home much better than reading about it

The best way to know is the Lifestyle Preview Plan, staying in a TV home a couple of blocks from Lake Sumter Landing. There's absolutely no pressure nor sales pitches, the pricing is great--$100 per night (thru Sept.) for 3BR/2bath home beautifully decorated, and a golf cart is provided.

Renting for a month or two is a good idea too, but the LPP helps to know where you'd like to rent.

In TV, what you see is truly what you get.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:52 PM

You'll run into a lot of those Spruce Creek and Stonecrest people having a good time at The Villages town squares!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Veteran member
Default Stonecrest and Spruce Creek folks in TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyGirl View Post
You'll run into a lot of those Spruce Creek and Stonecrest people having a good time at The Villages town squares!
When we were in TV in April buying our house ( we move in just 3 weeks!) we went to one of the bars in Spanish Springs to watch the end of a Red Sox game, and got into a conversation with the folks next to us. Yup, they were Stonecrest people in TV because there was NOTHING at that hour (9:00 PM) where they live!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Send a message via AIM to gg

I think at your age 55...you will want to move to the villages. I wish I would have done it when I retired at 51. I love the activity and when I see the younger ones playing pickleball...I call them youth. I met a man when I came to visit and told him he would be the perfect man if he lived in the villages. He lived in Spruce Creek and they did not have near the activities and clubs you find in the villages. Good luck where ever you move.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:47 AM
Sage

madmags -- Welcome to TOTV. As others have stated, this is the place to go for information about moving to and living in The Villages. You are wise to do your homework in advance before considering a move. I'm on my fourth visit to TV (I'm a couple of years younger than you), and I would move to TV tomorrow if I could. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:15 AM

All I can add to this discussion is that until I got my wife in TV 2years ago in April she couldn't conceptualize what retirement looked like. Then she fell in love with this place in the first 24 hours and we purchased a designer Gardenia furnished model in St Charles the same week we came for our first visit. When you consider ALL that The Villages offers the residents there is no way you would pick another community if you desire an active, alive lifestyle for your retirement. Be busy or be quiet, you choose because in TV you can do it all.

We are retiring 12/31 this year and will become full time Villagers then - and can hardly wait. Having been "owner visitors" (I think maybe 11 times during last 2 years) we have seen and learned enough to know that TV is where we really want to be. There are just too many advantages to living in TV to consider another community.

If you are ready to make the move then I suggest you break out the checkbook and rid yourself of some of that dough which isn't becomming more valuable and purchase whatever style of home you desire (read-can afford), take a huge sip of the kool-aid and enjoy The Villages lifestyle. If you can dream it, you can do it in The Villages.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,326 Posts

What's nice about TV is you can sit in your house and have that quite night or you can go and on the square. Anything you need is right here. Ok the ocean is 1.5 hours but everything else is here why not rent in off season stay a little longer and then buy
Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

one of the best things about The Villages is, it is a "city" you can get everywhere on your golf cart. The other communities are very nice and maybe a little less expensive but you have to dive out for shopping and entertainment - one car and a golf cart or two is enough for most people and a BIG IF you get to where you can't drive a car, you can still get around in the golf cart.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.