in Design meetings - is wood Laminate flooring an option.

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Default in Design meetings - is wood Laminate flooring an option.

Hello all,
Last year we installed Bruce Red Oak real hardwood flooring - I have found the nylon buttons on bottom of furniture legs have dimpled the floor - this is here in our townhouse in VA. - not villages.

we are going for a design meeting at end of July and I can't seem to find an answer to my question " can you get wood Laminate flooring - a product similar to Pergo or even pergo from the design center - I know you can get hardwood and a product called engineered hardwood - which is not wood laminate -

why wood laminate - it is very very hard and will not dent. granted cannot be sanded down and refinished like true hardwood - guess all have their advantages and drawbacks..

if anyone knows that wood laminate can be ordered in home design would like to hear from you.
many thanks for reading.
Originally from Maine & Virginia
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Sage

after real wood the next best is engineered hardwood
Old 05-25-2013, 09:31 AM

bump
Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 PM

I'm not sure they offer it...but it is VERY easy to get it installed after you close and probably a lot cheaper aftermarket. That is what my husband and I are doing (we are currently in Virginia and they -- East Coast Flooring -- are installing laminate wood flooring in our home on June 4th.)

We had engineered hardwood put in my parents' house in Village of Tamarind Grove about a year ago. It's beautiful but some of the wear issues you mention are a factor plus the laminate was almost half the cost.

So, again, to address your question I think they designers offer tile, carpet, and engineered hardwood as options...but not laminate. I could be wrong and the offerings do change from time to time.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcTeacher View Post
I'm not sure they offer it...but it is VERY easy to get it installed after you close and probably a lot cheaper aftermarket. That is what my husband and I are doing (we are currently in Virginia and they -- East Coast Flooring -- are installing laminate wood flooring in our home on June 4th.)

We had engineered hardwood put in my parents' house in Village of Tamarind Grove about a year ago. It's beautiful but some of the wear issues you mention are a factor plus the laminate was almost half the cost.

So, again, to address your question I think they designers offer tile, carpet, and engineered hardwood as options...but not laminate. I could be wrong and the offerings do change from time to time.
This will probably sound really stupid - but can you purchase a home without having any flooring in a few rooms (ie dinning room, living room, and front bedroom) -- kind of foolish to pay for carpeting (just to have it ripped out for laminate flooring???) - thank you very much for your reply it is appreciated.

PS: I was an Algebra teacher for about 10 yrs (JHS advanced classes) - then taught computer applications at College.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Cookie View Post
This will probably sound really stupid - but can you purchase a home without having any flooring in a few rooms (ie dinning room, living room, and front bedroom) -- kind of foolish to pay for carpeting (just to have it ripped out for laminate flooring???) - thank you very much for your reply it is appreciated.

PS: I was an Algebra teacher for about 10 yrs (JHS advanced classes) - then taught computer applications at College.
Nice to meet another teacher. You know...all the rules about what you have to have in order to get your occupancy permit are different from state to state. I know in Virginia you can settle with just sub-flooring but you have to have a fridge! Haha!

So I don't know...when we settled on our home in December we just had all standard flooring (tile in the "wet" areas and carpet in all the living areas. When East Coast comes to do the laminate in our living/dining area they're going to take the carpet that is there and bind it for us (we've specified the sizes) and bring it back for us to use as rugs until I figure out exactly what kind of rugs I want.

So, I guess you'll have to either wait until your design meeting or maybe contact your sales rep who might be able to ask the design dept that question.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Wink No go on unfinished floor

Recently finished design meeting and you are required to have some type of floor covering. I tried to get them to just polish the concrete but no go. Did hear maybe if your paying cash then no floor covering is ok. Rug is the easiest to take out but vinyl is cheaper to buy. Wet areas include the foyer and kitchen so no rug there. We close June 18th and the floor shoppe will be there June 18th to start the rip out of our below grade carpet and vinyl to replace with engineered hardwood. If you choose a wood type with a high Janka rating like brazilian cherry (3 times harder than oak) you won't have to worry about furniture dimples or high heel dimples. The depth of the engineered wear layer will be the part you refinish and the thicker the better also will be more expensive. Your real estate agent can get the answer on your laminate question. Have fun, our design experience was awesome.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 AM

I paid cash and still had to have some type of flooring to close, I opted with carpet then ripped it out after close. The carpet was donated to Habitat for Humanity.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:35 AM

thanks to all that replied to my 'bump" on this question - have a better sense on what I am up against come my design meeting in end of July now. Probably will go with my second choice -- ceramic tile in all but the back two bedrooms in the lily model. -- per chance do they have a ceramic tile that resembles wood? and can you mix two different styles of ceramic tile per home - like one type in one room and another type in the rest of the rooms -- what I want to do is take the front bedroom (bay window area) of Lily and make it into a den aka man cave - and would like a unique floor in that... again thanks for answers your efforts are greatly appreciated on this end..
Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Sage

Yes, you can get ceramic tile that looks like wood planking.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Sage

U can also stop pretending & get wood
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.