Difficulty getting green time for new residents?

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Default Difficulty getting green time for new residents?

Hello everyone,
It's my very first post, have been reading the posts on this site for months and absolutely love them. I first discovered and absolutely was blown away by The Villages when I first visited two relatives back in September (they have lived there for close to 10 years). Loved it so much, I returned for a preview 5 day visit in June and have my eyes and plans set on a Gardenia designer home. Question: has anyone had difficulty reserving time on the golf course? I don't even golf but I've heard from a few folks in the NY, NJ, CT tri state area where I live that one drawback for new residents is getting time on the golf course which they say is already fully booked. Have you found that to be true? I am so ready to move down there, my cousins absolutely love the place, and after two visits I am convinced it's the right move for myself (young baby boomer just turning 55). Thanks for your replies, and looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Sage
Default Re: Difficulty getting green time for new residents?

Gardenia,

Welcome to TOTV and TV.... buying and living here will be a decision you will never regret.

Tee times...no difference between new residents and those who have been here for 20 years.

From April to December, tee times are plentiful. Now, you might not be able to schedule a 4 some for your favorite course every morning at 9am, but, if you are flexible with times and locations, you can play quite a bit. The tee time reservation system is fair and efficient. I play just about every day (on Exec courses)...sometimes signup as a single, other times with 1, 2 or 3 friends.

Jan-Feb-Mar.....short days and full house of residents and guests here. ..so tee times are tighter. You can still figure on being able to play 2-3 times a week if you are flexible. It seems getting favorable tee times on the Champ courses in winter is a little more difficult....those that pay for a priority membership there get preference over nonpriority residents.

Golf course tee times are assigned at most 3 days prior to play day, so, not sure what they implied with "fully booked" comment.

Right now, you can walk on almost any course after 11 am.

Hope this helps ease your mind.

Also, the Villages builds golf course according to a formula of # of golf holes per # of residents, so, there are additional courses on the drawing board as TV grows.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Villages07,
Thank you so much for your thorough and prompt reply - there goes another reason to not always listen to what you hear from outsiders. I totally get what you said, and am not surprised at all that the system is fair and efficient. I applaud you and all the folks on this website who are so helpful and informative towards people like me who are eager to get answers. I am sold on the Villages, the toughest decision for me right now is deciding do I move within a year, or look for another job here in NY/NJ and relocate in 3-5 years. My job is being eliminated, but that's OK, I've discovered the Villages and it might just be a nice little treasure I found at the right time!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:08 PM

Flexibility is the key to getting tee times during the busy season. My brother comes down to visit every December for two weeks and we play golf on the champion courses (we are always a foursome, both of our wives play as well) almost every day. We request 5 courses from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM, listing course over time preference and have gotten our first choice 99 % of the time. On the rare occasion that we didn't get out first choice , we got our second choice, and I do not have a priority membership.
Welcome to TV!!
Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 AM

I can count on one hand the number of times I was denied a tee-time in six years. If you are a priority member your chances are better during prime time.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 AM

It really helps to make your tee times in advance. It is possible to get a tee time the same day you want to play (if there is a cancellation) but generally I make mine at least 3 days in advance. We've always paid the extra fee to have the priority membership and there is no trouble getting tee times. As everyone has said, you just need to be flexible, and plan ahead.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:33 PM

Lil Dancer, six year villager, villages07 & earickis:
Thanks to all of you for your prompt and positive replies. Makes me feel much better knowing that I will simply have to plan my green time and be flexible, which is exactly how I would expect it to be there as big as it is. Having visited the Villages twice in the past 12 months, and personally observing it all, I am not surprised at all by your responses. I plan to start taking golf lessons now so that I can get out on the green when I relocate there! All I have to do now is brace myself for the occasional snakes, gators and huge cockroaches I have been reading about on the General Discussion forum. I am totally afraid of them but will survive. Being a city girl, I was totally freaked out by the deer on lawns, in my backyard and on the roads NJ four years ago.....and now I guess I just have to accept that another state brings another set of "wildlife" to developed areas, which I can understand, they were there first (I guess)
Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 PM

Gee, I haven't seen any huge (or any for that matter) cockroaches yet. I did see a really big on in Hawaii a long time ago, so I guess you do find them in the tropics on occasion. Not to worry, Gardenia, I think you'll be okay!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:56 PM

LOL while traveling up North--in 2 different states--I heard that you could only play golf 2 times a month in The Villages. That was news to me. In seven years I lived here I have been denied two times.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 PM

I play every Sat. between 0730 and 0830 and have never been turned down. My next door neighbor plays every day. Goes on Villages dot net and gets tee times
drd

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.