Directions from A to B via Cart AND Multi-modal?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Google maps gives multi-modal directions in The Villages if you chose walking directions rather than car directions.
But that doesn't include golf cart tunnels, which (again, as far as I know) are not for pedestrians.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
But that doesn't include golf cart tunnels, which (again, as far as I know) are not for pedestrians.
Pedestrians are not banned from cart tunnels. Now you know...…………….
Old 02-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

Google maps does include the tunnels if you put in bike mode.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

"Remember to check out and do the necessary paperwork to obtain your Homestead Tax reduction if you will be a Florida resident. There is a time limit and I don't remember exactly when it is. If I had to Guess I would think it is the end of March. A really nice savings."

Deadline to file is March 1st
Steve
Old 02-23-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
"Remember to check out and do the necessary paperwork to obtain your Homestead Tax reduction if you will be a Florida resident. There is a time limit and I don't remember exactly when it is. If I had to Guess I would think it is the end of March. A really nice savings."

Deadline to file is March 1st
Steve
Ah, that won't help us then. Our closing is March 1 and we won't be living there for a few months after that. Such is life. Regardless, the property tax down in Florida is much more affordable than up here in CT. We have a very small home (1008 living space plus basement and detached garage), in the burbs on 1/2 acre of land, and I believe our current tax bill will be just over $4000. So even without the exemption we'll be living easier.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

You should still file for next year.

A Homestead Exemption can:

Reduce the assessed value of your home
Provide a tax savings - The amount will vary from city to city due to differing tax / millage rates.
Homeowners applying for this exemption must:

Own and occupy their home as their permanent residence in the County they are filing as of January 1.
Submit an application no later than March 1 of the year you wish the exemption to begin.
Homeowners who owned and occupied their residence after January 1 are encouraged to pre-file an application for the next tax year.

Steve
Old 02-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage

These directions I'm seeing are weird. By *car* - google has me coming down from the water tower to Shay, then Griffon, back up on 441/27, then into the Town Square area via Main at Banner Mercantile. Looking at the same map and checking with street-view, there's a traffic light at Wales. So why would I want to go PAST Vermont, instead of cutting over onto Vermont, and crossing 441/27 to Wales and take a left on Paige Place? Is that just because of the gates? If that's the case, my ID would open the gates up so that wouldn't be a problem. If it's something else, please let me know?
Old 02-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
You should still file for next year.

A Homestead Exemption can:

Reduce the assessed value of your home
Provide a tax savings - The amount will vary from city to city due to differing tax / millage rates.
Homeowners applying for this exemption must:

Own and occupy their home as their permanent residence in the County they are filing as of January 1.
Submit an application no later than March 1 of the year you wish the exemption to begin.
Homeowners who owned and occupied their residence after January 1 are encouraged to pre-file an application for the next tax year.

Steve
Ah awesome info thanks again.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
These directions I'm seeing are weird. By *car* - google has me coming down from the water tower to Shay, then Griffon, back up on 441/27, then into the Town Square area via Main at Banner Mercantile. Looking at the same map and checking with street-view, there's a traffic light at Wales. So why would I want to go PAST Vermont, instead of cutting over onto Vermont, and crossing 441/27 to Wales and take a left on Paige Place? Is that just because of the gates? If that's the case, my ID would open the gates up so that wouldn't be a problem. If it's something else, please let me know?
I am getting concerned that you just my worry yourself into getting an ulcer...……………..
BTW all gates in TV open by pressing the red button..the gate to Walmart may be an exception.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Don't like GoogleMaps.... don't use it. When using gates, use your Gate Card to get in..... not your I.D. Card.

At some point you're going to have to relax a little or you are going to drive yourself crazy. and
Old 02-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Google Maps is far from perfect. You can be sitting on Boone looking at the gate and it will try to send you through one of the gates in Silver Lake in the Southern part of Orange Blossom Gardens. For some reason, it also loves to send you almost anywhere in the Southern Villages Via El Camino Real.

I don't want to jinx myself but I have to say that Villages GPS has been working very well since the last Update. I know you don't like GPS but it is a good option if you change your mind.

In six months you will be advising others how to get around. It is a lot to take in when you first get here. Just stop on the side of the road and you will have people stopping to help you out.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Sage

Thing is - closing is March 1. We'll be staying in the empty house with ONLY electricity and plumbing, for a few days, then flying home. That means no internet service in the house. We won't be moving for a few months, so we're not paying for any utilities other than electricity and plumbing til we get closer to actual move-in date. I'd rather spend my time while I'm there for a few days, relaxing and enjoying myself, and not spending it being frustrated because I took the wrong turn at night when it's harder to see (especially if you've never been in that area before) and ended up with a golf cart on 441 and a police officer giving me a ticket.

The upside to this, is that EVERYTHING I plan now, will be recognizeable once I get there. I'm OCD, and ADD, and planning stuff is what I do. It won't give me an ulcer, on the contrary. It's a relief to know that I'm being productive during these days leading up to the closing. NOT planning - would drive me insane.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Don't like GoogleMaps.... don't use it. When using gates, use your Gate Card to get in..... not your I.D. Card.

At some point you're going to have to relax a little or you are going to drive yourself crazy. and
I couldn't understand why a gate near St Charles wouldn't open for me, I can report that my White Color Barclaycard doesn't open gates. Ooops!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Thing is - closing is March 1. We'll be staying in the empty house with ONLY electricity and plumbing, for a few days, then flying home. That means no internet service in the house. We won't be moving for a few months, so we're not paying for any utilities other than electricity and plumbing til we get closer to actual move-in date. I'd rather spend my time while I'm there for a few days, relaxing and enjoying myself, and not spending it being frustrated because I took the wrong turn at night when it's harder to see (especially if you've never been in that area before) and ended up with a golf cart on 441 and a police officer giving me a ticket.

The upside to this, is that EVERYTHING I plan now, will be recognizeable once I get there. I'm OCD, and ADD, and planning stuff is what I do. It won't give me an ulcer, on the contrary. It's a relief to know that I'm being productive during these days leading up to the closing. NOT planning - would drive me insane.
Do you have a smart phone?

You could either use your phone for the internet, or simply 'tether/mobile hotspot' it...for a laptop/tablet/notebook.

It's actually quite simple to set up.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I couldn't understand why a gate near St Charles wouldn't open for me, I can report that my White Color Barclaycard doesn't open gates. Ooops!
I need a gate card and an ID and a drivers license AND a Barclaycard? I'm doomed. Either that or I'll add all the other cards I have and we can play a lively game of crazy 8s.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, springs, spanish, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.