Do You Have Regrets After Moving To TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2019, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittysons View Post
My wife and I lived full time in The Villages from the end of 2010 through mid-2016. We were full time residents in Florida (and still are) since 2002 having originally moved from Chicago. We now live in Southwest Florida. The experience of living in The Villages was a great one that neither of us regrets, especially because of the new friendships we made. The activities and socialization were tremendous and we both would recommend The Villages as a great place to transition into retirement. However, the first reason we moved was because of the sense that we were "moving down a conveyor belt" as we watched people we knew age, get sick and/or require assistance and in some cases die. We all know this is a reality yet it stares you in the face the longer you live there. The second reason is that regardless of what you think, old people(and that includes us) can be very grumpy, stubborn, set in their ways and ridiculously cheap(using 2 for 1 coupons and only tipping on one meal). The contrast in friendliness and attitude is stark between waitstaff and other service workers in The Villages and outside The Villages such as Southwest Florida because of the previous reason. We enjoy being around all age groups(including children) because it exposes us to different ways of thinking and, in our opinion, keeps us more open-minded. The third reason we moved is because of the way everything begins to recycle in The Villages. How many times can you see Hemans Hermits, the parades etc. before you stop going? Finally, we started out in 2002 in Southwest Florida and like our friends there, the variety of restaurants and activities and the ocean nearby. You may feel. differently and we respect that.
What a good post this is. How very understandable and true. I would wish that everyone would be like you two. Wishing you happiness.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:44 AM

Give it time. What you are feeling is normal as change is not easy. When I was 20 I got in my car and drove cross country to California to go to school. I missed home (Virginia) like crazy until I went back for Christmas three and a half months later and felt like I didn't belong there anymore.

I moved here almost 10 years ago to the day and have never looked back or even gone back to visit. Yes, I miss my friends and certain aspects but I would never think of moving back there again. This is home and I love it.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 AM

Moved here a year and a half ago, and I miss home every day (didn't think I would). Variety of retailers, quality and variety of restaurants, ease of getting medical appointments. Thought it would be less expensive to live in FL, and it hasn't been. Car insurance, cost of food, utility bills are about the same as in the northeast. Everything here is beautiful and nice, but it's not home. I think about going back quite often, but for now we are not for a few reasons. Have met a few people who get homesick and plan a visit "home" every 3 months. We are not able to do that, but if you can, they say it helps.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 AM

No regrets at all. Should have moved here sooner.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3461 View Post
Hello. I am relocating here and I already miss home.

Do you regret moving to TV?
Why?
Will you move back home? Or, to another area?

If you got over your regret, how did you do it?

Thank you.
I bought my home in The Villages as a long term investment in ocean front property.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Default Do I regret moving?

I miss Santa Barbara. That said, living here instead of there allows me the financial stability to be able to visit Santa Barbara at any time. I couldn't afford to stay there and retire early, without making some heavy sacrifices. I think the kids do better without me interfering in their lives, also. They don't say that, but many psychologists do! It gives them the space to make their own decisions.
All of the activities I currently do would cost a fortune in California. I suspect the same would be true for many of you.
The politics here run a bit conservative for me, but as more people come from other areas, that will become more "middle of the road."
I love the lack of graffiti!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Get involved

"Do you regret moving to TV?"

Not a single minute of a single day. My old home had the worst winter in 20 years. Why would I want that?

Get involved in sports, clubs, neighborhood activities, etc. We are so busy, we don't have time for regret.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:27 AM

For our first year, I would tell all my friends up north, how much I missed them. I stopped lying, and now I just tell them come visit! We moved here along with my 88 yr old Dad in tow. I said we should have moved earlier, and he said, "but than you wouldn't have the house you have." He was so right. We are 1/2 mile from Sumter Landing. No regrets!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:30 AM

Been here 3 years and haven't looked back. SUre, would be nice to be closer to the grandkids but flights are cheap. We have been back and they have come here. Also some family have moved here. Have friends who recently moved to North Carolina to be closer to grandkids. THey are called Half Backs. (moved hal way back).
Old 05-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3461 View Post
Hello. I am relocating here and I already miss home.

Do you regret moving to TV?
Why?
Will you move back home? Or, to another area?

If you got over your regret, how did you do it?

Thank you.
No regrets for me, my wife to a degree yes, bless her. She misses the 4 seasons, hates the heat. So we agreed that a home pool and DirectTV and no kissing Lanai was required to move so she can watch the Packers. After close to 4 years I think she has adapted well. We like living in the bubble. It is beautiful year round. For me, you kidding, traveling the world in my 30 plus years business career, now playing golf 3 to 4 times a week, enjoying friends with similar life experiences. Wow wish we would have done this earlier.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Smile Deep Regrets

In a few days we will have been here one year. We deeply regret not coming here sooner. Honestly, what's not to like? We love it here. Feel like we are on a permanent vacation.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 AM

Well said!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ohio will always live in my heart, the four real seasons and the memories of our little ones and our grands being little too. But now we love the vibrancy of this climate and the enjoyment of conversation with our peers and learning new skills and resting when we are done "working".

I love beautiful and clean and well ordered and well maintained and I love living in a safe environment and The Villages fill the bill. Hope for a continued gentle life.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:04 AM

Hubby would have moved here 11 years ago. He’s doing the happy dance; for me it’s a leap of faith. We’ve been in TV since sept 2018; we bought a house in feb 2019. Now we have to make a life for ourselves. I still have my ups and downs. Miss my family, friends, normal schedule. Neighborhood is wonderful but still feel on the outside looking in. I’m sure it’ll take time to meld in. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
As many have said, TV is not for everyone but if you no longer live here there must be something about this place that speaks to you. Why do you still follow talk of the Villages? I do not mean this “to get all over you” but I do find it curious
Yes, well said. If I did not like a place that I moved from, I would delete everything about it. Why still on this forum.

As for me, my husband and I are not down there yet. My son and his wife, who moved not too far from us are expecting a girl in October. Otherwise, we would have been there already. The Villages looks like a great place to live. Others tell me why don’t you try other retirement communities and I just say no, only the Villages. That is just my opinion. Right now, I am living is LI only for my granddaughter and that is about it.

Last edited by TOMCAT; 05-27-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 AM

I travel between TV and Upstate NY. I have now started to love The Villages after 2 years of ownership but I don’t want to get past the family closeness in NY. I will never give up my home up there. Yes, they are outgrowing the need for me but I will never outgrow my need for the closeness of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
regret, home, moving, area, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.