Dogs in the Square and etc.

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartonjelly View Post
I have never thought of that. Still not in TV but when that time comes we will bring Minnie and Gracie our Cavachons !
Is the Cavachon the name for the puppies that are born from one parent a Bichon Frise and the other parent a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? Bet Minnie and Gracie are cute! Do you have photos you can post?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Of course people should clean up after their pets, anything else is disgusting!!!

One reason we purchased in TV was that we loved seeing the dogs everywhere! My husband has been working in Canada for the past month. He arrives here Thursday. He just called to ask me "Can we take our two dogs to the Square on Thursday night"? So we'll be there with our little dog "Biggins" and our 70 pound "Lolli Pop"!
We are not dog owners...are there REALLY that many dogs around? It may be a deciding factor in a purchase there as we near retirement in 5 years. Not that we don't like dogs, just not lovers of them as it seems folks post on here are. Just wondering...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer View Post
We are not dog owners...are there REALLY that many dogs around? It may be a deciding factor in a purchase there as we near retirement in 5 years. Not that we don't like dogs, just not lovers of them as it seems folks post on here are. Just wondering...
I don't perceive there to be any more pets here than any other city I have lived. In fact, there were far more dogs in Germany...everywhere. Dogs are allowed in restaurants, shopping malls, churches...just about anywhere, except a grocery store.

Just my perception...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 AM

I was told by my vet one time, when I mentioned that my little yorkie stopped so often to pee...
"Oh, don't worry he is just sending out "pee-mail" so of course all the sniffing he must be reading his "pee-mail"
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Gee....
We are allergic to perfume.... so please don't wear any.

We love animals and really miss our babes. Our lab died 2 days before we moved, so now we usually stop and pet any animal in the square (after asking permission)

However, not picking up after your pet is just inconsiderate, we always carried bags attached to their leads. Our Millie never failed to leave a deposit and never missed a step in the process. Had to be quick to catch the fall out.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I don't perceive there to be any more pets here than any other city I have lived...........
Ditto.

Bill
Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
I was told by my vet one time, when I mentioned that my little yorkie stopped so often to pee...
"Oh, don't worry he is just sending out "pee-mail" so of course all the sniffing he must be reading his "pee-mail"
OMG, I can just see it now! The Villages set up a pee-mail station near our mail stations that's just for the doggies.

In the near vinicity of our mailboxes there would be rows of pee-boxes built for canines where there would be card activated door on the front and include washable and removable artificial grass for the floor inside.

The doggies would be issued an electronic pee-door medallion equipped similar to our gate cards but smaller that matched up to the individually assigned boxs. The medallion would hung on their collar along with their license and contact ID's.

On each box there would be a grated top that other pooches can hop onto to leave their personalized pee-messages for the box holder to later sniff out.
The Villages Florida
Additionally, poop-boxes could also.....
The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Dog in the Square

One poster asked if there really are that many dogs here? I do not know how to reply because it depends on your attitude towards pets. I suspect that the pet population is growing as rapidly as the human population. I have lived here 5 years. This last year I have heard more dogs bark and bark longer from my lanai than the previous four years combined. I have seen more dogs walked, carried. pushed in a carriage than the previous 4 years. And I have been invited to more homes and greeted by dogs this last year than the previous four. Again a personal disclosure is required. I am afraid of dogs but only four kinds, big, litttle, alive and dead. So from my personal point of view there are too many dogs in TV. Also without burdening you with the why, suffice to say I come by my bias honestly. This is a personal view and one that does not imply or infer there is a right or wrong.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
One poster asked if there really are that many dogs here? I do not know how to reply because it depends on your attitude towards pets. I suspect that the pet population is growing as rapidly as the human population. I have lived here 5 years. This last year I have heard more dogs bark and bark longer from my lanai than the previous four years combined. I have seen more dogs walked, carried. pushed in a carriage than the previous 4 years. And I have been invited to more homes and greeted by dogs this last year than the previous four. Again a personal disclosure is required. I am afraid of dogs but only four kinds, big, litttle, alive and dead. So from my personal point of view there are too many dogs in TV. Also without burdening you with the why, suffice to say I come by my bias honestly. This is a personal view and one that does not imply or infer there is a right or wrong.
Rubicon,

Thank you for such an honest post. I feel the same way about snakes!

I don't know if we are more "dog lovers" than elsewhere - but I do wonder if, for those of us empty nesters, our pets have helped us to fill a void.

k
Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Katezbox...this special relationship you address is exactly why I remain passive and neutral. Just don't be offended if when your approaching me I immediately pivot and go in the opposite direction. I have been known to throw my wife in front of me as a barrier. Yep she still loves me. See we have a special relationship and so she remains passive and neutral
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I have lived here 5 years. This last year I have heard more dogs bark and bark longer from my lanai than the previous four years combined. I have seen more dogs walked, carried. pushed in a carriage than the previous 4 years. And I have been invited to more homes and greeted by dogs this last year than the previous four. Again a personal disclosure is required. I am afraid of dogs but only four kinds, big, litttle, alive and dead. So from my personal point of view there are too many dogs in TV. Also without burdening you with the why, suffice to say I come by my bias honestly. This is a personal view and one that does not imply or infer there is a right or wrong.
As non-dog owners, I think this is what we notice more here at home too. We have dogs barking and it seems the owners don't hear them and sometimes it can go on and on and it drive us nuts. (yes we have spoke to them, called the town etc) Looking at how close some homes are in TV and how close one lanai is to the next, we are a little concerned that we will run into the same thing but closer to the problem. Just saying...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Veteran member
Default dogs in the squares

You need to control the critters. Example .....Tuesday night aat Lake Sumter Landing...I am sitting on white bench on sidewalk with the better half directly in front of Pooters' display tent... Some one in wheelchair going South...Big man with big dog can not wait for wheel chair person to safely pass so he steps on my foot to squeeze by...his dog behind him on leash tries to squeeze by.......dogs wagging tail knocks my drink off the arm of the bench and the dog then pauses just long enough to stick his nose in my wife's drink which was in her hand.... Grow up you inconsiderate people. The ruined 5.50 worth of drinks did not bother me......but .....the lard a88 with the dog should consider himself lucky that there were ladies and children nearby.....or maybe there would have been a boogity-shoe going on in the street ( naw the juice wasn't worth the squeeze ).....The nice man in the wheel chair did apologize......Said........:"I am truly sorry that fat a88 was in such a hurry,,, (and offered to replace our drinks) then he said..." slobs are slobs and some slobs bring their big dogs to the squares."
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Rubicon, I respect your honest post. Many are afraid of dogs for a lot of reasons.

I am afraid of some breeds, such as Pit bulls. That isn't their real name, but I can't think of it.

I enjoy dogs, I don't own one.

When traveling in Paris some years ago, I was chatting with the cab driver.
We had met and chatted with some very polite school children in our walks and noticed how quietly the dogs would lie next to their owners in outdoor restaurants.

I asked him Why did he think that the dogs and children in Paris were so well behaved.

He said. "We beat them".

(Perhaps I did not translate well, he surely meant that children and dogs brought up correctly did better.)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Sage

Gracie, your comedy just gets better and better every day!!

Bill
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
You need to control the critters. Example .....Tuesday night aat Lake Sumter Landing...I am sitting on white bench on sidewalk with the better half directly in front of Pooters' display tent... Some one in wheelchair going South...Big man with big dog can not wait for wheel chair person to safely pass so he steps on my foot to squeeze by...his dog behind him on leash tries to squeeze by.......dogs wagging tail knocks my drink off the arm of the bench and the dog then pauses just long enough to stick his nose in my wife's drink which was in her hand.... Grow up you inconsiderate people. The ruined 5.50 worth of drinks did not bother me......but .....the lard a88 with the dog should consider himself lucky that there were ladies and children nearby.....or maybe there would have been a boogity-shoe going on in the street ( naw the juice wasn't worth the squeeze ).....The nice man in the wheel chair did apologize......Said........:"I am truly sorry that fat a88 was in such a hurry,,, (and offered to replace our drinks) then he said..." slobs are slobs and some slobs bring their big dogs to the squares."
Mr Fixit - The kindly man in the wheel chair got it exactly right! (IMHO) There are jerks in this world - and some own pets. Those pet-owning jerks give the rest of us pet owners aggro too!

The TOTV people with doggies who bring them to the squares who have posted here all agree that crowded nights are not a good choice - unless the pooch can be carried or you stay in your cart.

Kate

(who, if Finley did this to you, would have offered to replace the drinks and given you a heartfelt apology)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.