Downsizing in order to live in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2020, 01:01 PM

My experience is that some things stored in the attic space above the garage can be ruined by the heat. We had luggage up there and the rubber wheel coverings disintegrated. Note whether your garage is on the west side of the house; ours is and surely has increased the heat in the attic/garage, therefore impacting what we can safely store up there.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
We majorly downsized five years ago before we moved down here. Sold most of our furniture, almost all of our winter clothes, and went through our Christmas decorations and chose just those that held special meaning for us.

After we moved here, we discovered “stuff” that we didn’t need, so we downsized even more. Even some of the furniture we kept, didn’t look right in our new home, so sold it. The few winter clothes we kept were either too hot, even in the “winter” months here, so I kept a few sweaters, two pairs of long pants, and that gets me through the cold weather.

IMO, don’t plan on storing stuff down here off site. Usually not worth it.
All good advice. We have done much the same.

It is hard to sell of toss things that had meaning for us when we bought them or were given them but we decided 1) no storage unit for us and 2) we will not clutter up our FL house.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 07-13-2020, 01:30 PM

We downsized from 3300 sq feet to a cottage home in TV with 1150 sq feet. Nothing will force you to downsize more than that. Very little storage space, but workable.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjameson View Post
We downsized from 3300 sq feet to a cottage home in TV with 1150 sq feet. Nothing will force you to downsize more than that. Very little storage space, but workable.
Wow we went from 3200 to 2000 and still dealing with that 49 year marriage would not survive 1150.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektron297 View Post
Anybody have some downsizing tips they would like to pass along? We are wondering that when we move to the Villages, there won't be much space for "stuff". Where do you put your things that need to be stored such as Christmas decorations? It appears that there has to be some serious downsizing to move into the Villages.
A dear friend of mine told me EVERYTHING you buy must have storage-coffeetable, nightstands, benches, everything. We do store our Christmas things in the attic and so far so good. And our suitcases. We moved from a 3 bedroom ranch in Buffalo NY to a 3 bedroom ranch and had a huge garage sale-but I did take my bedroom set and dining room and sold those here. You will really miss a basement! In our guest room we put floor to ceiling cupboards so that helps (Unless you're a crafter like me!) and add shelves in all the closets for extra storage and split shelves under sinks. Abd definately a better quality ladder to the upstairs-otherwise they are too shakey. Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2020, 02:09 PM

Sell everything that you do not have a personal attachment to. Use that money to furnish here.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

We went from 1800 sq ft house in Mobile to a 25’ Airstream travel trailer. Less than 200 sq ft. We sold, gave away, left for the new owner or tossed everything except for our clothes and what we needed to live in the Airstream. We traveled around for two years before we decided enough was enough. We bought a small log cabin on 13 acres in NE Tennessee 3 years ago. Went from 200 sq ft to 650 sq ft. Now, we are hoping to sell this and relocate to a 1200 sq ft house in TV. We will have to upsize!
Old 07-13-2020, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Still have 5 bedroom up north home, and A lake cottage. It’s the basement stuff With a gym, that can’t take with us.
Our furniture in TV is not Florida style, that we bought til we brought down things we love.

This year Uhaul packed truck. We flew, driveR arrived next day. Unloaded, 1 day to unpack, And put in correct space. Cost under $2,500.

I still like solid wood furniture, not the veneer of today.

Last edited by asianthree; 07-13-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:28 PM

I packed a few things that meant a lot to me and I couldn’t replace and some summer clothes, very little. Then I had an estate sale. It’s so easy to move in with very little and saved a fortune in moving costs. Plus made a nice sum on the estate sale to get me started here. Estate sale folks handled everything and so far I haven’t missed anything that was sold.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:28 PM
Default Downsizing in order to live in the Villages

We store our luggage, pet carriers and outdoor Christmas decorations in the garage attic. We bought heavy-duty rolling shelves to store the rest of our Christmas stuff and other things.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
sell everything you have and buy new. just bring old photos,some small tools,maybe a lawnmower.
Don't forget your spouse
Old 07-13-2020, 05:54 PM

Sell your stuff dont move it. Waste of money. We truly downsized we have a corner lot small 3 bed 2 bath home and large lanai and birdcage. We only moved our bedroom as its contemporary. You should rent a house first then research everything you want. Look at all as there are positives and negatives s;out everything
Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

We downsized as I stated in a previous post on this thread. But thought of our new purchase of an artificial Christmas tree as we got herein 2007. Really good quality tree in 3 sections. Bottom section left after 5 years. Middle section left last year. Will be down to the Angel when we need directional guidance.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Default Moving in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektron297 View Post
Anybody have some downsizing tips they would like to pass along? We are wondering that when we move to the Villages, there won't be much space for "stuff". Where do you put your things that need to be stored such as Christmas decorations? It appears that there has to be some serious downsizing to move into the Villages.
We are selling a lot on Facebook Marketplace. Sold over 70 items so far.....everything from bedroom furniture, to tables, lamps, patio stuff, wine racks, home decor, elliptical and much more (over $5k so far). We are also having a moving sale. Whatever we haven't sold by the end of the month will go to charities. We are bringing as little as possible.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2020, 11:21 AM

Another thing to keep in mind: whatever storage space is in the attic might not be useable when you get to the point you can no longer get up and down the "stairs" (more like a ladder) especially not carrying large/heavy or awkward items. Sooner or later, you won't have the strength, knees, or whatever to manage it.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Closed Thread

Tags
downsizing, villages, move, put, things

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.